Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making a Small Pet Urn or Keepsake (Read 159 times)

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Making a Small Pet Urn or Keepsake
Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:39pm

We lost our beloved lhasa apso "Jubilee" last week.She was 15.We had her since she was 4 weeks old.The mom quit feeding so vet  said it was ok as long as she was eating.Anyhow the family is just devastated now.

Anyhow we had her cremated and brought her home for the last time.My wife will get the urn she is in now.Myself and my mother in law want some of the ashes in a urn for ourselves. Since I am a turner I want to make a turned one...pretty one but simple.I have some nice wood from a tree we had cut down in our yard.I think it is spalted maple..very nice whatever it is and dry. It wouldnt be big at all..She was only 13 lbs.It would be sort of a keepsake urn.

Any thought, ideas or directions on making this would be appreciated.

All this is sort of in a thinking mode for now....In a way I want to just leave her all together in the one urn.I do want to treat this the best way with full respect..She was our heart.Thanks for any ideas on any of this!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Steve Bistritz
WR Supporter

Harrington Park, New Jersey, USA
Harrington Park
New Jersey
USA

Re: Making a Small Pet Urn or Keepsake
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 8:32am

Sorry for your loss. Lost one of my boys 2 years ago and still miss him every day. There are tons of videos on the subject on youtube. I will be sending you a pm...

So many interests,so little time.........

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 9:10am

I'm sorry for your loss, our fur children hold special places in our hearts.  I've done several pet urns and you're only limited by your imagination.  At an art show, a lady had one of my jewelry boxes (oak & walnut stave built) and wanted to know if I could make an urn just like it only larger.   Someone asked if I could do a couple of the hollow globe Christmas ornaments, but not glue the top on because they wanted to put some of their parent's ashes in them as a keepsake because Christmas was the parent's favorite holiday.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 10:05am

Loosing a member of the family (yes, I too consider our dogs as members of the family) is always very difficult.  We too suffered such a loss in the past few years Cry.

Turning the urn is very therapeutic for you, and I hope that you find great pleasure in doing so in the memory of Jubilee.

Personally, I found that finding a new (to you) member to join your family the most healing.  There are many very wonderful dogs looking for a caring home such as yours.  Please consider finding another and share your kindness when the time is right for you. Undecided

Sorry for your loss.

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 6:41pm

Thanks everybody for your kind words! They are healing to me. We will get another pet Im sure.I will let my wife decide when she is ready for us to do it!

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 11:28am

Mike

Sorry for the loss of your dog. 

I lost my dog two months after I finally got back home 12 months after the bombing in the middle east.  I was still confined to the bed for another 6 months and my wife would let her in everyday so I could pet her and enjoy having my dog around.
I was already in depression and when she died I cried for 2 weeks.  I did not know how nor could I turn back then.

So here is a simple way to make an urn.  Get a male and female 2" PVC.  First what I do is take the male threaded part and turn 1/2" to 3/4" off of one of the ends and then measure the end so when I make the body of the urn I can make the hole the same size I did the end of the threads I cut.

I do the exact opposite with the female threads going into the top into the lid.

Hope I explained it correctly

Arlin

It is always the right time; To do the right thing

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 3:16pm

Thanks Arlin!
                      Yes it is awful. I am having to make myself do stuff.Jubilee was a therapy dog for my son after his near fatal wreck. And she has been so much more to us all.....Thanks for the info!!

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 12:43pm

You are welcome buddy.  We feel your pain and are all friends here even tho I have not been here that long.

It is always the right time; To do the right thing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print