Send Topic Print
Game call mandrel (Read 210 times)

Carter Wireman
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

8x12 table top
Game call mandrel
Sep 8th, 2017 at 7:23pm

Hello I am very green to turning, in fact just ordered my first lathe a WEN 8x12. I am wanting to turn game calls mostly. My lathe comes with a MT1, what will I need to use to hold a expandable mandrel? A drill chick or collet chuck or can I simply install it into my head? Like I said I'm new to this so be easy on me lol

IP Logged

Len Mullin

WR Rocks!

Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada
Miramichi
New Brunswick
Canada

Re: Game call mandrel
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 10:06pm

You will need a #1 morse taper end for the mandrel to fit into. I would like to suggest, that you watch some you-tube videos on all turning subjects. You can learn a lot off of the videos, but not all that you'll see is safe. If possible, try to find a turning club or group of fellow turners that you can learn off of.
Len

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 8:24am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I have this expandable bushing setup - I'm not that crazy about it as it doesn't always center the blank that well. It is a good way to get started.

One alternative is to turn your own mandrel out of a good dense hardwood - you could even turn your own MT1 on one end of it or thread it to drive off the threads on your headstock.

Another alternative is to use a pen mandrel and then turn your own bushings out of hardwood. The challenge there is to true the end of the blank after you drill it, or, to make sure you drill it nice and square to the ends of the blank. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Disclaimer: I do not make a lot of calls and do not consider myself an expert.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2017 at 8:25am by Tony Rozendaal »  

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Paul Gilbert
WR Supporter

Turned by Paul

Allen, TX, Texas, USA
Allen, TX
Texas
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 3:43pm

Make or by a pin chuck. An example follows:

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 7:07pm

Carter

There are a number of different ways to hold a turning blank, some commercially available and some that one makes.  The range of choices can be confusing even with extensive experience.  I would second very strongly the suggestion to look for a turning group in your area.  Regardless of the holding method, tool sharpening and tool control will be essential for making a holding method and for turning calls.  Local turning groups almost always have mentors who can help explain and often demonstrate different holding methods and tool sharpening and use; some also offer very affordable turning classes.

Because Youtube and similar sites may have videos that show improper and sometimes even dangerous practices, I would instead suggest you begin looking through the videos on this web site.  They all have been reviewed before being added to the site.

IP Logged

Carter Wireman
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

8x12 table top
Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:23pm

Thanks for all the advice friends. I do plan on waisting a lot of wood just practicing well before I try to finish anything. My lathe gets delivered this afternoon, I'm from NE Indiana around the Fort Wayne area if anyone knows of turning groups around here.
The one thing I'm confused of is my lathe has a MT1 head spindle and tailstock. I know that mt2 is the most common but there has to be a commercial chuck that I can mount to my head spindle. It is the WEN 8x12 lathe I'm pretty sure it's the same one Harbor frieght was selling, does anyone have any experience with this lathe. Is the threading a common thread size?
Thanks again and god bless prayers to anyone in or has family in Texas and Florida!
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2017 at 6:55pm by Carter Wireman »  

IP Logged

Buck Nemitt
WR Supporter

Lovin It

Toronto,Ohio, Ohio, USA
Toronto,Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 4:56pm

Here's a lil info that might help also from a reputable game call supplier. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

What the heck,Give it a try---

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 6:48pm

The lathe manual should give the thread specs for your spindle.  Many or all chucks can be purchased with an adapter for the common spindle threads.  This approach allows one to keep the chuck and simply purchase a different adapter if and when a different lathe is acquired with different thread specs.

I've seen a claim many times that the AAW web site has a page with affiliated turning groups.  You can also search the internet for a turning group or turning club in the largest city near you.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 7:56pm

Tony Rozendaal wrote on Sep 9th, 2017 at 8:24am:

I have this expandable bushing setup - I'm not that crazy about it as it doesn't always center the blank that well. It is a good way to get started.

One alternative is to turn your own mandrel out of a good dense hardwood - you could even turn your own MT1 on one end of it or thread it to drive off the threads on your headstock.

Another alternative is to use a pen mandrel and then turn your own bushings out of hardwood. The challenge there is to true the end of the blank after you drill it, or, to make sure you drill it nice and square to the ends of the blank. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Disclaimer: I do not make a lot of calls and do not consider myself an expert.

Good luck!

I agree with Tony

I have used Hut many times and they have never failed to not only provide good stuff but it works great.

It is always the right time; To do the right thing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print