Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What do I need to sharpen without a grinder? (Read 399 times)

Matthew Gingerich
WR Noob

A stopped clock never
boils.

I'm completely new to woodturning. I made my own lathe, which I'll be using until I save up for a real one.
What do I need to sharpen without a grinder?
Sep 12th, 2017 at 6:55pm

I just got my first set of lathe tools and I'm looking for a way to sharpen them. I have 2 spindle gouges, a parting tool, a skew, and a scraper. They all seem to have an okay grind out of the box, which is good because I don't want to drop $200 for a bench grinder.

I'd like to learn to sharpen them the old fashioned way with a flat stone and a leather strop. But what kind of stone do I need? I looked at oil-stones, water-stones, diamond stones, slipstones of various shapes, but I'm not sure what I need in what combination. For example, will a flat oil-stone and a piece of leather be all I need? Or do I need a slip-stone as well in order to sharpen the inside of the gouge? Thanks for any advice!

--Matt

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: What do I need to sharpen without a grinder?
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:46pm

Matt

It's possible, maybe even likely, that the old fashioned way to sharpen lathe tools was with a foot powered grinding wheel.

Think of how many lineal feet of wood a wood chisel goes through when chopping dovetails for 20 minutes, versus how many lineal feel of wood a spindle or bowl gouge goes through in 20 minutes.  The wood chisel is not continuously cutting wood, but the gouge is.  It is not uncommon to sharpen a lathe tool after every few minutes of use to get acceptable quality of cut.

With the wood chisel, ten strokes on a medium stone sharpens the entire length of the cutting edge at the same time, maintaining the desired shape of the end of the chisel.  With a curved gouge, ten strokes sharpens just one very narrow bit of the overall length of the cutting edge, perhaps 1/16".  But one does not want a bit of straight cutting edge on a gouge, instead one needs a continuous curve.  Even worse, one cannot sharpen a lathe gouge by simply rotating about the axis of the tool and handle (for most common grinds).  Instead, the handle would have to swing quite a bit from side to side at the same time, and in close coordination, that the tool is rotated about the axis.  All this manipulation is needed to maintain the shape of most gouge grinds (swept back or fingernail).

That's not to say it is physically impossible to sharpen a swept back bowl gouge or a fingernail spindle gouge by hand on a stone, but it would require an intense amount of trial and practice to develop the necessary muscle memory for the needed combination movements, and I suspect much more time would be spent sharpening the tool than using it.

IP Logged

Matthew Gingerich
WR Noob

A stopped clock never
boils.

I'm completely new to woodturning. I made my own lathe, which I'll be using until I save up for a real one.
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 8:07pm

So you're saying I should bite the bullet and get a grinder? In that case, what kind should I look for? The idea in my head of sharpening using a grinder would be that I would grind the outside edge on a coarse wheel, then sharpen the outer edge on a finer wheel, then use a leather strop to knock the bur off the inside edge and the result would be a sharp tool-- but is this correct?

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Supporter

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 10:49pm

Welcome to the forum. You will get great information here. He is saying yes, get a grinder. Every woodturner reading this is saying get a grinder! Get one with white wheels, not gray, and try for 8 inch "slow speed". (1750 rpms.)  Most of us leave the burr, that is what cuts quickly.  Watch some youtube videos, and better yet try to find a woodturning club near you. Lathe tools need to be sharpened often, a dull tool is a dangerous tool.

« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2017 at 5:50am by Chris Neilan »  

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Bruce Schoenleber
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Nova 1642
Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 6:56am

Well, not every woodturner.  The parting tool and skew are easily sharpened with a stone, I use a diamond card (the size of a credit card). For the scraper I prefer to burnish, just like you would for a cabinet scraper.  The gouges present a problem as the constant changing radius does not lend to a stationary stone, but if you have a belt or disc sander you can adapt a jig to get it done. 
Having said that, if you get the bug and stick with turning, you will eventually spend big bucks for an 8 inch 1750 rpm grinder (~$150 on the low end), wolverine jig (~$120) and a CBN wheel (~$150-$180) or two.

IP Logged

Bob_Macgregor

Round wood.  Sharp steel.

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:33am

Do you have a sander in your shop?   Although the technique is a bit different, a sander (belt or disk) can be used to sharpen lathe tools.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 9:03am

Matthew Gingerich wrote on Sep 12th, 2017 at 6:55pm:
I'd like to learn to sharpen them the old fashioned way with a flat stone and a leather strop

Sharpening with a "flat" stone is for flat tools (I know you can sharpen other things)
Most woodturning tools, like gouges have a curved cutting edge. This can be difficult and time consuming to sharpen with a stationary flat stone, not to mention bad for the stone.
Most woodturning tools are therefore sharpened on a grinding wheel of some type This translates into much faster removal of material and consistency of the ground edge.
The amount of wood that passes over a turning tools edge as compared to say a chisel or plane requires them to be sharpened much more frequently. This is why a powered sharpening system is typically used. The amount of time needed to sharpen by hand and the frequency necessary for turning tools makes it impractical. IMO
Use of a grinder-based system also falls into two categories, freehand (platform based) and jig based.
With "freehand" sharpening you typically rest (anchor) the tool on the grinders platform and then move the tool (by hand) in which ever direction is needed to follow the grind on the cutting edge. "Freehand" sharpening is less expensive (no special jigs to purchase) but takes a skilled operator to be able to achieve the proper grind. Many times gouges have complex curvatures that are difficult to replicate time after time.
With jig based systems, typically the tool is secured into a jig of some type that limits the direction of travel so that you can only grind what is needed. These are adjustable to accommodate different grinds for different tools. The benefit are speed, efficiency the ability to replicate the exact grind every time.

The most popular sharpening setup today is probably an 8" slow speed grinder and a Oneway Wolverine sharpening system. (I won't get into wheels)

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 9:34am

Check out Reed Gray's video on sharpening.  He's a great teacher and frequently hangs out here.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Matthew Gingerich
WR Noob

A stopped clock never
boils.

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 2:23pm

Thanks for all the advice. I don't have a belt sander (or any power tools other than a hand drill, actually). Would it be a good idea to find a cheap used grinder somewhere and buy new wheels for it? Or would that end up costing me about the same as a new grinder? I don't need the fanciest grinder on the market, but I do care a lot about having safe tools and I know that cheap tools are rarely safe. What accessories would I need with the grinder? I haven't yet found anything that lists exactly what you need to have to sharpen.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2017 at 2:58pm by Matthew Gingerich »  

IP Logged

Donald Jordan

WR Rocks!

Tampa, Florida, USA
Tampa
Florida
USA

Nova 1624-44
Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 3:40pm

Matt,

Here is "one" option for a grinder
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I would also suggest you check out  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register for a tool rest.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 3:46pm

Please, try to find a turning group near you so someone can give you the helping hand you'll need to get started. Smiley Smiley

Who knows, there might even be someone who has a grinder to sell.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 4:27pm

Yes on the grinder ( I bought the Rikon slow speed, my older grinder was just too fast), although there are a couple of belt driven jobs that use jigs to get the angles right.
As far as the grit of the stone, 80 is ok but takes off a lot of metal.  I prefer 180 since the gouges already have an edge and it should just become honing to get the edge back ( I may try a 220 wheel if I find one).  After a litte practice, it just takes one or two passes to get the edge back to scary sharp. I built my jigs from watching youtube.
Do watch Robo's videos, he's a good teacher.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2017 at 4:48pm by David Hill »  

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:12pm

Matthew

Based on posts and comments, it seems like at least 99% of the woodturning community sharpens with the Oneway system.  I am part of the fraction of 1%, with Reed, that sharpens freehand using his Robo Rest Platform (but he is better looking).  There is a longer learning curve with freehand than with a jig, but when turning bowls I regularly use a 1/2" bowl gouge 40 deg, 5/8" bowl gouge 50 deg, sometimes 5/8" bowl gouge 65 deg, and two or three scrapers all 70 deg.  I believe I can set the Robo Rest platform to the needed angle (takes 2-3 seconds), sharpen the tool, and get back to the bowl so efficiently, even when changing tools, that I will sharpen more frequently than if I had to adjust a jig time and again.  But each should take the approach he or she is most comfortable using.

IP Logged

Bill Moschler

WR Rocks!

Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Knoxville
Tennessee
USA

Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 8:49am

Another vote to get the grinder.  You will be better off with one of the slow speed grinders with the white wheels new up front. A used high speed grinder will be useless. I only use the fine wheel unless I am changing the shape of the tool.  I turn right off the grind mostly but sometimes hone or buff the edges.  I had 2 high speed grinders, a whole set of diamond hones and other stones, and a couple of belt grinders when I started turning.  But I bought the slow speed grinder from Woodcraft pretty quickly.  I Thought I knew how to sharpen.  But sharpening for turning is different than sharpening carving tools and plane blades.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2017 at 9:01am by Bill Moschler »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 9:04am

Bill Moschler wrote on Sep 14th, 2017 at 8:49am:
I Thought I knew how to sharpen.  But sharpening for turning is different than sharpening carving tools and plane blades.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard that

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print