Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What do I need to sharpen without a grinder? (Read 389 times)

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Re: What do I need to sharpen without a grinder?
Reply #15 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 1:07pm

What Ed said.... Just had a couple of comments on my videos from some one who had done woodworking since he could crawl, and told me that it was dangerous to turn with dull tools, "Sharp is good, razor sharp is better." He doesn't seem to be able to grasp the concept that for most of what we turn, 180 grit is all you need, or 120 grit... You do need different edges for spindle and end grain work than you need for bowls. Having a sharpening system other than hand sharpening is a necessity. Best option is slow speed grinder (I prefer the 1 hp Rikon to the 1/2 hp model), and CBN grinding wheels. There are many variations, in part determined by how deep your pockets are....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Matthew Gingerich
WR Noob

A stopped clock never
boils.

I'm completely new to woodturning. I made my own lathe, which I'll be using until I save up for a real one.
Reply #16 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 4:58pm

I ended up getting a secondhand slow speed 8" grinder and a sharpening jig intended for drill bits. It has a gray wheel of unknown grit, so I may have to replace that but it should work okay for getting me started. I'll adapt the jig to fit my turning tools and then I should be off to the races.

One thing I'm still wondering is whether just grinding is enough-- a jig only grinds the "outside" edge of a spindle gouge, so doesn't that leave a bur on the other side of the blade? Do I need to knock that bur off with a strop or can I just grind and then go straight to turning?

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #17 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 5:41pm

Matthew - Good question.  Actually depending upon the tool, the bur is a good thing to have.

I am unsure what you mean about the jig only allowing you to sharpen the outside of the gouge, but if you are worried about anything that is left inside the U or V shape of your gouge - don't.  That is fine.

Please do go and look at some reputable sharpening videos. (AKA Robo-Hippy).  I ask you to do this because one can be in a dangerous situation on a grinder if you are not familiar or are trying to sharpen a tool at too steep an angle.

Glad you got a grinder!  the wheel can be changed out later, focus on getting the tools ground correctly.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #18 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 6:12pm

Matthew Gingerich wrote on Sep 14th, 2017 at 4:58pm:
One thing I'm still wondering is whether just grinding is enough-- a jig only grinds the "outside" edge of a spindle gouge, so doesn't that leave a bur on the other side of the blade? Do I need to knock that bur off with a strop or can I just grind and then go straight to turning?

You can go straight to turning, it's not necessary to remove the small burr.
Different tool steels and different grinding wheels all play a part in how much of a burr is created.
Removing the small burr is a personal choice and can be done easily with a round hone or file. (yes, I remove mine)

IP Logged

Paul Gilbert
WR Supporter

Turned by Paul

Allen, TX, Texas, USA
Allen, TX
Texas
USA

Reply #19 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 6:30pm

Most grinders on Craig' list will have grey - hard - wheels. These are not suitable for use on lathe tools. Replacing them with suitable 3M or generic white wheels will set you back about $35 each. In addition it will most likely be a 3450 RPM machine which will remove a lot of tool in a very short time.

Buy the grinder at a store that carries a lot of woodturning stuff. The Rikon grinder link above is a bargain. It comes with the right wheels for woodturning tools. That's essentially what I have used for 10 years although it has been upgraded to CBM wheels.

Now if you come across a Baldor grinder that some one is selling for $100 don't buy it, send me the link and I will help that poor soul get rid if it.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #20 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 9:46pm

Matthew

Not sure about modifying a jig for sharpening drill bits so that it will sharpen lathe tools to recommended angles and shapes.  But with enough searching you can find descriptions where people have made their own sharpening jigs for lathe tools.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print