Anthony Gomez

WR Rocks!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

wedgie sled question -
Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:58pm

the fences in the original design on the wedgie sled  are spaced 4 inches apart - with the fences dimension being 2 inches wide with hole for the pivot being  on center meaning that if the two fences were parralel to each other there is going to be a 2 inch space between them - I have some lumber stock that is precisioned dimension (thanks lowes!) but they are only 1 inches wide - to make the same dimensions as the original - that is to have a two inch space between them -  my pivot holes have to be on 3 inches apart --- any advice,  critique , or hint is greatly appreciated - I also bought a knob set from Woodcraft - just have to make the jig!
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:59pm by Anthony Gomez »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: wedgie sled question -
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 8:17pm

the distance between the two fence pivots is irreverent.,.
Whether you use a "wedgie' or triangle or whatever to set the angles on the fences, as long as they pivot into position and can be secured you're fine.
The further apart simply allows you to cut wider stock. If you put the fences too close together, you limit yourself to the size of stock you can use.

IP Logged

Anthony Gomez

WR Rocks!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 8:45pm

thanks Ed - I appreciate the input - I understand the wedgie sled takes care of the precision but a more specific question is that - if I make my sled with similar dimensions what limitations will I have as the length of the wedgies? - my question is more along lines if I make the sled with the dimensions suggested am I stuck to always make the same size ring?  Maybe I dont understand  the concept if I use stock that is 1 inch wide - how big of a circle or ring will that make vs a piece of stock that is 3 inches wide

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Supporter

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 9:30pm

The diameter of your ring is determined not by the width of your segment but by the length  of the segments outer edge. You need a good adjustable stop block to help set the segmenth length. Watch the videos on Youtube for some good demonstrations.

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 11:58am

Ed Weber wrote on Sep 13th, 2017 at 8:17pm:
the distance between the two fence pivots is irreverent.,.
Whether you use a "wedgie' or triangle or whatever to set the angles on the fences, as long as they pivot into position and can be secured you're fine.
The further apart simply allows you to cut wider stock. If you put the fences too close together, you limit yourself to the size of stock you can use.

Ed has it spot on.

For me I had some extra melamine which I think lets it slide better over the table saw surface.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print