Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do I need breathing protection? (Read 249 times)

Matthew Gingerich
WR Noob

A stopped clock never
boils.

I'm completely new to woodturning. I made my own lathe, which I'll be using until I save up for a real one.
Do I need breathing protection?
Sep 14th, 2017 at 10:37pm

I'm just starting turning and I've been wondering about breathing protection-- when is it necessary? It seems to me that some turners use dust masks, some have respirators, and most don't have anything at all. I'm a beginner, so I won't be using any crazy chemicals right away, but I'll probably be doing a lot of sanding to fix my screwups. Could someone familiar with the different types of masks give me some pointers? Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2017 at 10:38pm by Matthew Gingerich »  

IP Logged

David Gilliland
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

JET 1221vs
Re: Do I need breathing protection?
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 1:36am

I'm no pro, and I'm sure others will weigh in, but to me the more breathing protection you have, the better. Some people have fancy dust collection systems and don't need to wear as much protection. My shop is in a tiny unventilated shed, so I try to have my respirator on pretty much any time I'm turning, and certainly whenever I'm sanding. Breathing lots of wood dust, especially over time, is no bueno.

IP Logged

Jurriaan Kalkman

just below the middle, Netherlands
just below the middle
Netherlands

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 2:17am

You have a finite number of lungs, right?

That should be all the answer you need.

I wear one (a respirated face mask) whenever I'm sanding, combined with a dust extractor. Not when I'm turning green wood, and sometimes when I'm turning relatively dusty dry woods.

Well, I'm a Dutchman!
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 7:45am

A top of the line respirator is cheaper than a single visit to the hospital. No matter how good your dust collector is you still need lung protection from a good respirator.

Also, those paper dust masks are worthless. They only make you think you are safe while not really protecting you.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2017 at 7:46am by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 8:33am

Short answer is yes, wear dust protection.

There is a wide range available in this arena, price and protection don't always go hand in hand.
Disposable paper
Washable cloth
Respirator (half)
Respirator (full)
Respirator (full, powered)

IMO, the best bang for the buck for dust protection (today)  is the Elipse P100 Dust Mask

Very inexpensive and rated highly effective
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
These are available from many places, this is just one.

You need to choose your own eye/face protection as you see fit.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 11:20am

If you are turning outside in a 20 mph wind, you may be able to do without a dust mask and filter system, as long as the work is down wind from you. A good dust collection system and sanding hoods can get most of the dust, but seldom all of it. Just sweeping up the shop stirs up all sorts of dust. Box fans with filters do a very minimal job, and work better if they blow, rather than try to (edited out) the dust away from you, and it has to blow through the shop and out the door. The fine dust from sanding can float in the air for days, and that is the type you do not want in your lungs because it doesn't come out again. You really do need some dust protection for your lungs...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 11:51am

Ron Sardo wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 7:45am:
A top of the line respirator is cheaper than a single visit to the hospital. No matter how good your dust collector is you still need lung protection from a good respirator.

Also, those paper dust masks are worthless. They only make you think you are safe while not really protecting you.

+1 on what Rod said and I whole heartily agree.

It also depends on which type if you have any facial hair also.

If you wish let me know and I will send you some links to those I supply to the disabled vets.

It is always the right time; To do the right thing

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 6:48pm

My two cents the minimum protection would be a P95 or P100 half respirator - covers nose and mouth.  But sometimes sanding dust bothers my eyes, in which case I wear my impact resistant faceshield over my half respirator (an alternative would be a P95 or P100 full faceshield).  The best protection (but expensive), and the only option if you have even a light beard, is a powered full facepiece respirator.  If you work in the basement of a house, you might also need one or two ceiling hung air cleaners.

A local woodturning group can be an ideal place to take this question, as you will be able to see examples of the different options.

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 10:20am

Yes!
I am a Doc so I see folks with many varieties of allergy and lung problems.
Why precipitate a problem?
Best way one for least money for me has been the Ellipse, fits easily under face shield and is a bargain on Amazon.

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Steve Arnold

WR Rocks!

Burbank, California, USA
Burbank
California
USA

Jet 1640EVS
Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 11:11am

Ron Sardo wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 7:45am:

If these are specifically designed to keep the dust out, why aren't they effective?

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 11:48am

Because they are poorly made.

For a respirator to work effectively they need to seal around your face properly, paper masks leak on the sides.

When you buy a respirator, like the ones Ed and I linked to, you must buy the correct size for them to seal around your face.

A easy way to test a half face mask while its on and the straps properly snug.
1) place your palm on the exhaust and if no air leaks out proceed to the next test.
2) with the filters off place your palms over the intake if you can breath in the mask is safe.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #11 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 3:04pm

Ron Sardo wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 11:48am:
For a respirator to work effectively they need to seal around your face properly, paper masks leak on the sides.

Air will follow the path of least resistance.
When you inhale, air will more easily pass around the side of the unit than it will going through the filter.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 1:59pm

Question not asked is "Do you have facial hair"? If so, then you should have an over the head pressurized system.

Glenn J.

IP Logged

Len Mullin

WR Rocks!

Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada
Miramichi
New Brunswick
Canada

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 7:03pm

Yes Matthew, some sort of respirator is advisable. There is all kinds to pick from, personally, I think the ones that seal tight against your face are the best type.
Len

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print