Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for suggestions on chucking (Read 914 times)

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Looking for suggestions on chucking
Sep 17th, 2017 at 4:37pm

I'm looking for suggestions on chucking to make the piece in the picture attached.  I have successfully turned a couple prototypes and had a couple others fail. I would like to completely turn both ends if possible. I would like a minimal number of rechuckings as I am making multiples - currently the order is for 20.

Maximum OD is 1.125 inches, length is 4.8 inches, the tip narrows to ~0.200 inch

Thanks for your suggestions and ideas.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Re: Looking for suggestions on chucking
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 5:02pm

Tony, there are a couple of suggestions that I might share:
1.  Do a single chucking--with the tenon at the bulb shaped bottom.  Make the spindle stock long enough that you have room to make the bulb with about a 1" long sprig at its base.  Finish the bottom of the bulb and then part the finial almost all the way off.  Cut off with a saw and then sand smooth.  Much like how you finish a regular finial.

2. After turning the finial with a tenon at the base. Create a tapered jam chuck to fit/match the narrowing part of the finial.  Wrap it in a paper towel and put it in the jam chuck and hold it  in place with the tail stock. Making small cuts, cut away the tenon until you had just a thin piece of wood that you can cut off with a saw and then sand smooth.

HTH

IP Logged

Paul Gilbert

Turned by Paul

Allen, TX, Texas, USA
Allen, TX
Texas
USA

PM3520B
Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 5:50pm

Start with a 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 7" blank.  Using pin jaws on you chuck mount it with the end sticking out ~ 6".  Using a skew turn the pointy end and sand. Then turn the bulb and sand. Part it off with the point of the skew and sand the bottom of the bulb.  This should take about 5 min. start to finish.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 6:18pm

All I would add to Paul's suggestion, if you have not turned a lot like that, is you can start your rectangular blanks between centers to make them round and shape a dovetail tenon at the tailstock end.Then switch to your chuck and small jaws and follow as Paul described.  With light cuts, sharp tools, and a dovetail tenon just slightly larger than the minimum for the jaws it should be an enjoyable project.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 7:44pm

Don Stephan wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 6:18pm:
shape a dovetail tenon at the tailstock end.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not aware of any dovetail jaws that will clamp on 1.125 or 1.250 OD piece.  Mine certainly will not.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:13pm

Tony Rozendaal wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 7:44pm:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not aware of any dovetail jaws that will clamp on 1.125 or 1.250 OD piece.  Mine certainly will not.

I don't know what chucks you use but Nova (Teknatool) has a 35mm spigot chuck that would more than likely hold securely enough.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 11:46am

Lots of ways to do it and like Paul and Ed said some pen jaws would work very well.

To me I would just turn them between centers and nip off the ends and sand the ends smooth.

I have made something like that for ladies making shawls and knitting things.  I never put a finish on them just sand to 600 grit.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 9:42pm

For the VM 120 chuck, Vicmarc's long nose jaws will clamp down to 30 cm, about 1.18".

And of course you can start with a blank 1 1/2" square if necessary, or even larger, if it makes the project more efficient.

Or leave square and clamp with the corners between the jaws, but not sure the blank won't shift in the jaws with heavy cut.

The title of the thread is a request for chucking suggestions.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2017 at 9:43pm by Don Stephan »  
IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 8:43pm

Thanks again for the suggestions - I ended up clamping down on the square end with a 4-jaw chuck (Easy Chuck).  It would clamp down just far enough to hold a 1-1/8 inch turning square. I would then rough out the blank with a roughing gouge and finish turn (skew) and sand the pointy end.

For the other end - the handle end, I made a jamb chuck, and then ran vacuum through it. I would leave the tail stock up against it as long as I could and it would hold just well enough to let me turn off the end with a spindle gouge.

I had to do some hand sanding to get the rub marks out of the piece from the jamb/vacuum chuck.

Turnin' and learnin'

WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 9:11pm

Well I'm glad you worked out a way for yourself but I would have done a single chucking like Steve and Paul mentioned.
If you have to hand sand anyway, (or sand off the lathe) why bother chucking twice.
JMO

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 6:40pm

Although I was using thicker stock, today I came across another method that might work, if it doesn't split out your billets.  If I were in your situation I would probably try this with a 1 1/2' square billet an inch longer.

Carefully drill straight down in one end of the blank perhaps using a drill vise and drill press) and thread onto a screw chuck.  Bring up the tail stock for this test, light pressure.

Turn round, rough shape.  Remove the tail stock and using your left hand as a steady rest and taking light cuts, shape the shaft and tip.  With a bit of tissue paper in some sort of cone center in the tailstock, gently corral the tip without putting pressure on the work.  Finish the bulb end and part off.

If this works, a single chucking and both ends can be finish turned on the lathe with minimal sanding of the bulb end after parting off.  The piece even can be sanded on the lathe, except the bulb end.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2017 at 6:42pm by Don Stephan »  
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 7:01pm

Was just reading about collet chucks on WoodCentral turning forum.  I've no experience with them, but apparently one can purchase a chuck and collet that will hold 3/4" diameter stock.  Again, you might have to start with a slightly longer billet, turn round between centers and make a 3/4" tenon at one end, then mount in the collet chuck.  Looks pricey, but time savings and convenience might negate the cost if you get another order.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 9:58am

Good suggestion Don, Collet chucks are invaluable IMO
You can use them for holding wood, mandrels, drill bits, etc. The nice thing is that you can buy a basic kit and purchase individual collets as needed, like "off-sizes" or metric.
A standard ER32 collet chuck can generally accept collets up to 25/32" (20mm)
(I have seen special 7/8")

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print