• Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bowl gouge size (Read 324 times)

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Bowl gouge size
Sep 21st, 2017 at 2:21pm

What size bowl gouge should I purchace to turn the inside of a 10" diameter x 5" deep bowl from Cherry? I can't invest in a set right now. Thanks, Geo.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Bowl gouge size
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 2:33pm

1/2" would be the best in my opinion.
You can turn a wide range of things with a 1/2" gouge.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 3:36pm

I put the most value in the final cut (I hate sanding), so I would opt for the slightly smaller 3/8 inch gouge.  That said, you will not be able to hand out as far past the rest with the 3/8.  You may experience more vibration, more flexing of the tool that is past the rest.  When you get near that final cut, sharpen the tool again and take very fine cuts.

The 1/2 inch is also nice, but I prefer the 3/8 (for any size bowl)... Thumbs Up

next opinion ... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 6:42pm

I would go with a 1/2" especially since you will be up to 5" over the tool rest.
Also be aware of difference in sizes in Bowl Gouges,  In UK vs US the UK is about 1/8" larger due to way it is measured.  So a 3/8" in Sorby, Hamlet, Packard, Asley Iles, Crown and other UK made will be the same size as a 1/2" Thompson or other US made/speced.  This does not apply to spindle gouges, only bowl gouges.  Go figure.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 7:29pm

Thanks for all that guys. I'll go for a 1/2"
Geo.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 8:41pm

Tom Coghill wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 3:36pm:
I put the most value in the final cut (I hate sanding), so I would opt for the slightly smaller 3/8 inch gouge.  That said, you will not be able to hand out as far past the rest with the 3/8.  You may experience more vibration, more flexing of the tool that is past the rest.  When you get near that final cut, sharpen the tool again and take very fine cuts.

The 1/2 inch is also nice, but I prefer the 3/8 (for any size bowl)... Thumbs Up

next opinion ... Roll Eyes

For newer turners who may be reading this, gouge sizes are not consistent across manufacturers.  American manufacturers measure the diameter of the billet and European manufacturers measure across the flutes.  Therefore, a Thompson 1/2 inch bowl gouge is more comparable to a Sorby 3/8 inch gouge. The first two Thompson gouges I ordered were 3/8 inch and I was surprised to find when they arrived that they are comparable to a 1/4-inch Sorby gouge.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2017 at 8:42pm by Tony Rozendaal »  

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 10:18pm

Tony Rozendaal wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 8:41pm:
American manufacturers measure the diameter of the billet and European manufacturers measure across the flutes.

Well sorta across the flute.  I made the same mistake ordering early on; had a 1/2" Sorby (or so I thought) and wanted a smaller one so I ordered a 3/8".  Dang it, same tool.

IP Logged

Jurriaan Kalkman

just below the middle, Netherlands
just below the middle
Netherlands

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 1:06am

I would also like to note that if you extent your gouge 5" over the toolrest in a 5" deep bowl, you could angle your toolrest and put one end in the bowl, thus minimizing gouge extension and vibrations.

Well, I'm a Dutchman!
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 9:26am

Tony Rozendaal wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 8:41pm:
or newer turners who may be reading this, gouge sizes are not consistent across manufacturers.  American manufacturers measure the diameter of the billet and European manufacturers measure across the flutes.  Therefore, a Thompson 1/2 inch bowl gouge is more comparable to a Sorby 3/8 inch gouge. The first two Thompson gouges I ordered were 3/8 inch and I was surprised to find when they arrived that they are comparable to a 1/4-inch Sorby gouge.

Mike Mills wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 10:18pm:
Well sorta across the flute.  I made the same mistake ordering early on; had a 1/2" Sorby (or so I thought) and wanted a smaller one so I ordered a 3/8".  Dang it, same tool.

IMO, You are both "partially" correct.
While the Europeans do measure the flute as shown in Mike's diagram, this only applies to bowl gouges.
The rest of the gouges are measured straight across the flute, as Tony stated.

I have found this holds true the the majority of tools out there today. There are always those who come up with some new way of measuring or labeling their tools, mostly for marketing purposes.
A small size chart diagram showing what is being measured on each tool would be helpful (like there is on router bits)
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2017 at 9:26am by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #9 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 11:33am

You guys also have to remember that even tho he said 5" I doubt that the bowl depth would be more then 4" or even 3.75 if it is not square on top or bottom.

I would also say 1/2 and in other cases 3/8 and the tool rest can be angled into the bowl to make the distance less.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 1:44pm

Mike Mills wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 6:42pm:
I would go with a 1/2" especially since you will be up to 5" over the tool rest.

Why does there seem to be the "assumption' that you need to overhang 5" on a 5" deep bowl anyway?
Move the tool rest and/or banjo, that's what they're made to do.

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #11 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 10:05am

Ed Weber wrote on Sep 22nd, 2017 at 1:44pm:
Mike Mills wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 6:42pm:

Why does there seem to be the "assumption' that you need  to overhang 5" on a 5" deep bowl anyway?
Move the tool rest and/or banjo, that's what they're made to do.

You are correct.  I did make an assumption.  Given a fairly open question I tend to the conservative.  I should have said "you may be" rather than "you will be".
Here is a nice video by Stuart Batty on gouges (diameter) and hollowing a bowl.  As he illustrates, depending on the tool bevel and the shape of the bowl you may move the tool rest in all you want and it may not change the overhang to any important degree.  Other times it helps a lot to move it.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 11:11am

Mike Mills wrote on Sep 23rd, 2017 at 10:05am:
You are correct.  I did make an assumption.  Given a fairly open question I tend to the conservative.

I understand 100%.
Many times a "simple" question is much more difficult to answer than some people realize.
Sometimes (like this particular case) it can add to the confusion.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #13 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 9:59am

George Stratton wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 2:21pm:
I can't invest in a set right now.

George...While I see that you settled on the 1/2" I think you're better off NOT having purchased a set.  Affordable sets of turning tools are not always the best quality steel AND they typically include tools that you may rarely if ever use.  You may be well off purchasing one or two very good tools, when needed, as opposed to a complete set in the end.  Like many others, I have 20 some odd different turning tools and yet do 90+% of my work with only four or five.

Just a thought...good luck.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Len Mullin

WR Rocks!

Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada
Miramichi
New Brunswick
Canada

Reply #14 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 10:17pm

George, you don't have to buy a set of cutting tools. Actually, buying turning tools in the sets that are offered, is generally frowned upon nowadays. It is best to buy your tools separetly, start out with a SRG then a Skew. Then you should look into buying your gouges, starting out with a half inch bowl gouge. Then a three eights bowl gouge, and a couple of different sized spindle gouges. These are the basic tools, after you buy these ones, you can then add other tools as required. Other's may buy theirs in a different order, this is the way I bought mine. After I got all of the typical turning tools I wanted, I then bought a few Carbide turning tools. There's a learning curve with both types of tools, but it's fun to learn.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print