washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Which Book
Sep 25th, 2017 at 7:56am

QOTW: A new turner just asked you to recommend a good instructional woodturning book, what would it be and why?

While there are a lot of good books by many good authors I would suggest "Woodturning, A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Re: Which Book
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 9:40am

Ron, you asked the question and answered it in one post. There is not a better book for a beginner

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:02am

One of our woodturners here in Alaska published a series of books.  I found them to be very informative and well photographed.  His name is Bill Bowers and I found his books to give the reader a good "how to" on many projects, maybe things you have not tried before.  Consider them as a gift to a fellow turner who may be past a beginner level.

IP Logged

Rick Caron
WR Supporter

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 1:04pm

I have several books. Ernie Conover (getting great results the first time around),  Richard Raffan (turning bowls).  Each book has  something in it that others don't.  Haven't read Woodturning, A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley. YET!!!

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 2:00pm

Picked up a book at an antique shop (wife looking for other things) called "The art of woodworking/Woodturning) for $2.00. Looks brand new. Has a lot of basics on every phase of woodturning from sharpening to bowls. Published in 1994 as a set of Time Life Books. Very interesting reading for a beginner like me, with articles by Betty Scarpino, John Jordan, and Bonnie Klein.
Geo.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print