Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Means to Mount a Chuck on the Tailstock (Read 1,457 times)

Ned Gatewood
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Means to Mount a Chuck on the Tailstock
Sep 25th, 2017 at 9:34am

I'm looking for a means to mount a chuck or face plate on the tailstock.  This will help to center a bowl on a Longworth chuck when reversing a bowl to finish the bowl's bottom.  Adapters are commercially available, but expensive.  I'd like to find a cleaver design to adapt from No. 2MT (or a 5/8" thread) revolving tailstock to a 1 1/4 x 8 chuck.  Any thoughts will be appreciated.  Ned

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Means to Mount a Chuck on the Tailstock
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 10:15am

I don't know what you already have but there plenty of options available.
Dead center (non-revolving) option
or
A popular method is to use the Oneway (revolving) adapter
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
These fit on the Oneway (and some others) live center.
Example photo

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 11:47am

Ed is SPOT ON here (I am leaning that he usually is).  I use mine all the time.  The adapter is about $25, as I recall.

These are a MUST when trying to get good registration on a turning when swapping it around to a vacuum chuck holder.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2017 at 11:48am by Tom Coghill »  

IP Logged

Ned Gatewood
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 2:44pm

Thanks for your replays.  The Oneway adapter is a good solution, hey, maybe the only one, but it will cost $50 with shipping.  I'm hoping to find a solution that costs less, maybe a shop made solution.  Gottta be a way.  Ned

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 3:38pm

Ned,

I make a lot of threaded parts for the lathe.  These are made of wood and are specifically fro use when vacuum chucking. 

What I have learned is that while these parts look and ARE simple, they need to have tight tolerances to ALWAYS run true.  That said, the USER needs to be aware of how to use them correctly.  I have seen too many turners not pay attention to critical mating surfaces when putting a chuck on the headstock, only to leave some debris on the back mating surface which results in run-out on the turned piece.

This is tougher to talk about and a lot easier to show  Sad.

What I am saying boils down to - buy the part, it is good quality and will last many lifetimes.  Learn to use it and you will be well rewarded.  Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 7:02pm

Here is a slightly cheaper adapter. I use this one. Free shipping if you have it sent to a store for pick up.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 7:22pm

Thanks Robert, I meant to link to that one as well and didn't put the link in the thread  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Bill Moschler

WR Rocks!

Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Knoxville
Tennessee
USA

Nova
Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 7:26pm

The Nova adaptor is $25 at Amazon now and free shipping if you are a prime member.

I just ordered one.  They have "1 left and more on the way"

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 7:44pm

Expecting you are making twice turned bowls, so that the bowl is perfectly symmetric when you want to reverse and mount on the Longworth chuck. 

Before reversing the bowl, and after the tenon is completed, bring the tailstock up so that the center point makes a slight dimple in the center of the tenon.  Reverse and turn the inside.

When mounting on the Longworth chuck, bring up the tailstock and insert the point in that dimple made earlier.  The registration should be perfect.

IP Logged

Brian Brown
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Idaho Falls, USA
Idaho Falls
USA

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 9:35am

I use this one.  $30 at Craft Supply USA.  Works great!

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:26am

For those of you not familiar with tailstock adapters, there are some pro's and con's depending on which style you choose.
Either one will be able to align the piece for re-chucking but that's about where it ends for the dead-center version.
With the live center version you can leave it mounted and turn the piece if necessary.
This comes in very handy for supporting long vessels, (photo example) among other uses.
IMO it's an essential tool.

IP Logged

Ned Gatewood
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 2:59pm

Ed Weber wrote on Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:26am:
For those of you not familiar with tailstock adapters, there are some pro's and con's depending on which style you choose.
Either one will be able to align the piece for re-chucking but that's about where it ends for the dead-center version.
With the live center version you can leave it mounted and turn the piece if necessary.
This comes in very handy for supporting long vessels, (photo example) among other uses.
IMO it's an essential tool.

Thank you, Ed, for pointing out the difference between a live and a dead tailstock adapters.  I can see the greater usefulness of a live adapter.  It seems the Oneway adapter is the only one that is live.  And i can see I'm going to have to bight the bullet and buy one.  Thanks again. Ned

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 4:37pm

To be clear,
When we're talking about the Oneway center adapter, we're talking about the adapter only.
The entire live center that it attaches to is a $120 tool itself. The adapter won't help if it doesn't have a suitable live center to mount to.

IP Logged

Bill Rockwood

WR Rocks!

Buena Park, California, USA
Buena Park
California
USA

Grizzly G0838
Excelsior 10x18
HF 8x12 (95607)
Reply #13 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 5:07pm

Ned - I have one of these, not sure if its what you're looking for, but should work fine for your application.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #14 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 11:48am

Ed Weber wrote on Sep 26th, 2017 at 4:37pm:
To be clear,
When we're talking about the Oneway center adapter, we're talking about the adapter only.
The entire live center that it attaches to is a $120 tool itself. The adapter won't help if it doesn't have a suitable live center to mount to.

As always...thanks Ed for your knowledge and added this to my Christmas list.  Had a foolish accident this weekend where this would have been very useful during a vacuum chuck session.  No harm to me other than a shattered bowl and dented ego but still a valuable lesson learned from getting greedy, careless, and way over-confident.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print