WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

PM 4224 Remote Switch
Sep 30th, 2017 at 10:39am

About eleven years ago I drove up to Columbus to purchase a used Powermatic 4224 lathe.  Every few years I tried to get the remote switch to work, without success.  I cleaned out sawdust from the housing, and a continuity tester showed that the switch itself would open and close, but it never would turn the lathe on and off, but the push/pull switch on the headstock would turn the lathe on and off, regardless of the position of the remote switch. 

While on the phone with PM tech support a few weeks ago I described the problem and the person I was speaking with said he thought the wires from the remote switch to the controls in the headstock were reversed.  He explained that the lathe should not operate unless both the remote switch and the headstock switch were both ON, and that the lathe would stop if either switch was changed to OFF.

Yesterday I dug out the owner's manual and removed the headstock panel, and found that the black and white wires from the remote switch were in fact reversed on the terminals behind the headstock push-pull on/off switch.  I reversed those two wires so they matched the schematic in the owner's manual, but I don't know if the operation is correct.  Now, if both switches are OFF the lathe can be turned on and off by either one, but I cannot turn the lathe on with one of the two switches and turn it off with the other.  In other words, if I turn the lathe on with the headstock switch I can only turn the lathe off with the headstock switch, and the same is true of the remote switch.  Is the way the two switches should work?  I had expected that both switches would have to be ON for the lathe to run, so that either one could be used to stop the lathe.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Re: PM 4224 Remote Switch
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 11:49am

Don

I bought the switch for my 3520b and an electrical friend wired it up for me and he did several others to.

The thing is one can be pushed in to stop it and the other one would still be pulled out.  That allows the user to either turn it off at the headstock or on the switch which is mostly used for emergencies if something gets out of wacky on the headstock.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Len Mullin

WR Rocks!

Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada
Miramichi
New Brunswick
Canada

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 9:14pm

Don, maybe you should try calling PM tech support another time, or refer back to the owner's manual again. I have a hard time understanding, why you would live with this issue for so long? If it was me, I'd have to have it operating as it should.
Len

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 9:35pm

I will guess that the start and stop switches are momentary. The start switches are wired in parallel and stop switches in series. That way there is no limit to the number of switches. Each switch will independently start and stop the lathe start relay, if there is one. Never had one apart.   The lathe could be stopped from any switch and started from any switch.
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2017 at 9:37pm by Glenn Roberts »  

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 9:37pm

Can't help wtth your problem, Don...but maybe you would consider another option.  On my 3520, I put all the controls from the headstock into a magnetic backed "remote".  No controls on the headstock, and I do not miss them being there at all.  A metal plate covers the hole where they were, so if controls would be wanted there for some reason, the remote can be stuck to the plate.  Once you have all the controls that can be put at a convenient place for YOU, the whole idea of headstock controls seems sort of lame Smiley  JMHO

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 1:05pm

Glenn Roberts wrote on Sep 30th, 2017 at 9:35pm:
I will guess that the start and stop switches are momentary. The start switches are wired in parallel and stop switches in series. That way there is no limit to the number of switches. Each switch will independently start and stop the lathe start relay, if there is one. Never had one apart.   The lathe could be stopped from any switch and started from any switch.

It can only be started again if the original switch is pulled back up with mine or I could turn both of them off then turn pull the switch on the head stock and then the other one on the switch which I call the safety switch since I will stand out of the way of the swing of the wood.
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2017 at 1:08pm by Arlin Eastman »  

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 5:31am

Arlin, The pull safety switch is probably not momentary since you have to manually return it to its operating position, like a light switch.  It prevents the equipment from turning back on accidently until the "problem" is fixed. If you want the equipment stopped without an emergency in progress, a momentary stop switch in series (with the safety switch(s)) would work. A simple push on the start switch would allow it to start back up normally.

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print