WR Rocks!

houma, Louisiana, USA
houma
Louisiana
USA

sears 12" and delta 12"
delta 46-700 lathe
Sep 30th, 2017 at 8:47pm

hello to everyone, well my lathe died today. I have a delta 46-700 variable speed and there is a plastic bushing that pushes on the pulley to change speed and seems like the bearing got hot and melted the plastic out of wack. so guess what that part is no longer available from the factory. how can they stop making that part I cant use the lathe without it. has anyone ever come across this problem and is there a way to solve the problem. Angry

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Len Mullin

WR Rocks!

Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada
Miramichi
New Brunswick
Canada

Re: delta 46-700 lathe
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 9:19pm

John, sadly this is an issue a lot of Delta lathe owner's are having. For some reason, parts are no longer available for most of their machinery, especially lathes! Your best bet, would be to place an ad on all of the woodturning sites that you know of. Or maybe, an aftermarket seller would be able to help you out, good luck.
Len

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 9:53pm

Bring the parts to your favorite machinist friend, and he'll make you a new one?

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 9:33am

ereplacement parts has "some" parts for that model, type 1 & 2.
I don't know exactly what you need.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Or Tool Parts Direct has "some" parts as well.

IP Logged

John Whitney
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

houma, Louisiana, USA
houma
Louisiana
USA

sears 12" and delta 12"
Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 8:20pm

thanks for the replies, I had already looked at ereplacement parts and its obsolete. but I think I will go to the machinist and try to have one made, I like that lil lathe

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 7:08pm

I have the same lathe John so I know the piece you mean. I believe its made from HD Polyethelene. If you have one made, have the guy make it from Acetal (Delrin or Celcon). Otherwise you have to keep that original piece lubricated. Its rubbing against steel!! You can get a chunk from McMaster Carr.
Geo.

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 12:26pm

John: did you try here

I don't know anything about your lathe or the bad part. I just searched for the heck of it and came up with this site. If I'm way off, I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 9:01pm

John, some sort of phenolic material might be ideal for your application.  The stuff I am somewhat familiar with, goes by the name Micarta.  McMaster-Carr has Garolite which is similar

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 11:37am

Actually John, almost any hard material will work on that part, even made out of a piece of hard maple, as long as it seats against the outside race of the bearing. You could use flat bottom drills for the holes and the bearing seat and cut a slot for the lever on a table saw. It only provides something to press against the face of the bearing race.
Geo.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print