Send Topic Print
tool too sharp ?? (Read 276 times)

jimmy russell
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

central machinery 10 x 18
tool too sharp ??
Oct 2nd, 2017 at 10:06am

hey gang..i gotta question...is it possible to have somekind of dangerous angle on a tool ??  Im asking because im turning an extremely hardwood bowl (oak endgrain) and my tools are extremely sharp...but i do them by hand with no real idea of the angle.....as soon as it barely touches the wood...i mean barely...it digs in like crazy...and scares the bajeezus out of me...jumped off the jaws twice already...and i got some strawberries an my knuckles as well...help...

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Re: tool too sharp ??
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 10:37am

Jim - you are experiencing a "catch".  This happens when the tool is presented to the wood incorrectly.  Not knowing what tool you are using, my best recommendation is to find a local AAW group and join.  They will teach you to turn safely and avoid the catch.

Others may request you provide location info as to help you.  You can load that info in your profile.

Be Safe!
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2017 at 11:37am by Tom Coghill »  

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 10:45am

Jimmy

What is your turning experience before this situation - what tools have you used successfully and what types of projects.  What tool is causing the problem on the oak bowl, and are you experiencing this inside or outside?

Finally, what does the bevel look like on the tool causing the problem?

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 11:08am

Long story short, no you can't have a tool too sharp.
While there are many factors involved with a catch or dig-in, IMO the main issue is tool presentation. The cutting edge needs to be presented to the spinning wood at the proper angle for the particular task. As has been mentioned, we would need to know some more information about your situation before we can give more targeted advice.

IP Logged

jimmy russell
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 2:56pm

i have only been turning for about 2 months...but ive done about 30 hours per week (its addictive).i am in tampico mexico so i do not have access to classes or tools except those purchased online from the states....the tool i was using is from a set...i was using the 3/8" spindle roughing gouge to try and hollow out the bowl...i do not have a bowl gouge yet...i did try and put a rounded point on the roughing gouge to make it more like the bowl gouge....im sure a lot of you guys are laughing your asses off by now...either way thx for the help and encouragement...

IP Logged

jimmy russell
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 3:38pm

problem solved...it was definitely the angle...i had my degrees backwards...instead of 30 it was about 70...30 upside down though..lol..either way i just carved through the bowl with no catches...wasnt as hard of wood as i thought...i will post some pics so you guys can see that i got talent...hardy har..

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 4:07pm

Never have I heard of a 3/8" spindle roughing gouge, could you have perhaps a 3/8" spindle/spindle detail/detail gouge?

Regardless, I've read numerous third party reports of those breaking as a result of a catch while hollowing the inside of a bowl.

Bowl gouges come as parbola, U, and V (the interior shape of a bowl gouge), but all are much stronger and are the only gouges that should be used to hollow the inside of a bowl.

Reed Gray, aka Robo Hippy, has a Youtube video showing how he has used a thick scraper to hollow the inside of bowls, and some people use carbide tools.

There are too many videos on Youtube and similar sites that demonstrate questionable practices, but the videos listed on this web site have been previewed for proper and safe work on the lathe.

IP Logged

Glenn Matthies

WR Rocks!

Lockport, NY, New York, USA
Lockport, NY
New York
USA

Jet 1642 EVS 2 hp
Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 6:25am

Spindle gouge or spindle roughing gouge.  They are two different things.  Under NO circumstances should you use a spindle roughing gouge (SRG) for hollowing out a bowl.  The tang is too thin compared to the size of the gouge and could break while turning if you get a catch.  This would turn the SRG into a potentially fatal projectile.  Spindle gouge can be be used safely although it isn't the ideal tool for the job. 

I do agree with others that the problem is likely presentation of the cutting edge to the wood. 

One general observation about turning...  When the tool is presented correctly, it cuts smoothly.  If you present it incorrectly, is works poorly, catches or doesn't cut at all.  Its easy to tell if you are doing it right or not but it isn't always easy to figure out what you are doing wrong.

Good luck and turn on!

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 6:16am

Jimmy...As others have already mentioned, a bowl gouge (even a cheap one) is your first order of business.  Relative to how to's, you can readily find hundreds of very good and more than a few really bad ones on YouTube.  Like you, access to a turning club wasn't practical for me either and YouTube is where I learned most of the techniques.  Good luck and safe turning...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print