segmenting books (Read 90 times)

Don Andrews

so many projects - so
little time

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Niagara Falls
Ontario
Canada

Delta Milwaukee 1944 lathe upgraded with 3 inch risers for 18 inch capacity, One-Way banjo, Leeson 3 HP 3 phase drive motor
segmenting books
Oct 3rd, 2017 at 7:39am

Hi Can anyone recommend any good books on segmenting for beginners? I am  an experienced turner of about ten years, but I am just working on my first segmented turning. I have Malcolm Tibbetts book the art of segmenting, good book however it is the university course, I am looking for the highschool text and project book Smiley

Don

better to die in armor than live in chains!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: segmenting books
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 8:45am

Is there an area in particular or style that you want to focus on.

IP Logged

Don Andrews

so many projects - so
little time

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Niagara Falls
Ontario
Canada

Delta Milwaukee 1944 lathe upgraded with 3 inch risers for 18 inch capacity, One-Way banjo, Leeson 3 HP 3 phase drive motor
Re: segmenting books
Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 10:17am

I am currently working on a staved beer mug. I have cut and glued the staves, rounded the out side and started holling the inside to round. I had it mounted for this operation in a flat piece of MDF with a recess cut to fit the outside Dia. and glued with hotmelt and supported with a one-way spindle steady, but the hot melt didn't hold need to reglue with yellow wood glue? My chuck is a Nova SN2 but I have only the factory jaws that will hold up to 2.5 inch tenon, need jaws that will hold 4 inch. I plan to make the base of a flat laminated walnut, tenoned to fit inside.
In short I am looking for books that give small simple segmenting / staved projects with mounting suggestions in order to gain experience. Hoping to add some segmented trim rings to jazz up my projects. I find I learn best by following instructions on a couple projects untill comfortable adding my own twists.

Don

better to die in armor than live in chains!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print