WR Rocks!

La grange, Texas, USA
La grange
Texas
USA

Laguna Revo 18/36
Wood dilemma
Oct 6th, 2017 at 10:57pm

I received 15 large Elm logs from my BIL a few days ago. Normally when I get some wood, I cut the pith out with a chainsaw and into blanks, then coat the ends with anchorseal then store it in my garage.
Well this stuff is huge, or huge to me, most of it is 24-28" across and 30-32" long. I did cut 3 logs up today and coated and put them up, but I really have no room for more.

My question is, how long can this sit out in the weather, how bad does elm check if left out like this. There is quite a bit of checking already, but it wasnt deep on the ones I cut up today. The elm was cut down about a month ago, it was alive and well when they cut it down, but I guess it didnt fit in the subdivisions plans.
What would you guys do with this?

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Supporter

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Re: Wood dilemma
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 8:46am

I would leave the logs as long as possible and coat the ends. I don't have a lot of storage space, either, so I lay them horizontally on stickers and cover them loosely with a tarp. The ends will check, but leaving them long still lets me get a good crop of bowl blanks from them.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 10:22am

I've had success with exactly as Grant has described...good luck.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ken Davis
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

La grange, Texas, USA
La grange
Texas
USA

Laguna Revo 18/36
Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 4:01pm

Thanks, I just need more anchorseal, will pick some up and cover with a tarp. I hadnt thought of the tarp.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 7:19pm

According to Bruce Hoadley, American Elm has interlocking grain - the tree alternates very few years spiraling clockwise and counterclockwise as it grows.  The log laughs at hydraulic splitters, and 6" and 8" spheres I turned developed minimal checking.  It is very pretty grain.  Not sure if any of this applies to other varieties of elm.

IP Logged

Len Mullin

WR Rocks!

Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada
Miramichi
New Brunswick
Canada

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 9:57pm

Ken, Dutch Elm is the same, it's just impossible to get a large block of it nowadays. The Dutch Elm Decease (DED) has killed most of the large trees years ago, there has been a new crop of trees start growing a few years back, they got to be a descent size about 14-16" in diameter. Then two years back, you could see them start to die off again. The DED seems to be back, maybe it's never left. There'still a few trees left standing, they're all dead, I'm just waiting for the bark to fall off. I was told I would get better turning stock, if I left it that way.   
Len

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Supporter

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 12:21pm

Ken: the added thing you may want to try is to add a plastic bag to the equation. I've not done this, but I've read of guys coating the log ends with either anchorseal or latex paint, then sliding a thin plastic shopping bag over the end of the log and pressing the plastic into the wet sealer. The sealer dries with the plastic solidly embedded in it, forming a very solid seal.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 2:49pm

Grant Wilkinson wrote on Oct 7th, 2017 at 8:46am:
I would leave the logs as long as possible and coat the ends. I don't have a lot of storage space, either, so I lay them horizontally on stickers and cover them loosely with a tarp. The ends will check, but leaving them long still lets me get a good crop of bowl blanks from them.

What Grant said.  I have had people deliver logs to my house and I coated the ends and left them for a month and recoated the ends again.  I still have two sitting now for 3 years, but the only thing to worry about is Ants.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 3:50pm

Arlin

I'd be very curious to hear what you find after cutting off a couple sections of log and turning, and what the wood is.  My expectation is that there will be checks the length of the logs from drying - won't logs will dry out through the surface, just more slowly than through uncoated ends?

Once I cut off a couple blanks from a just dropped tree that had been standing dead for a couple years.  No checks or cracks were visible on the surface or on the wood until I started hollowing the inside, at which cracks immediately opened up on each side of the rim.   Tried two blanks without success and threw the rest away.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2017 at 3:53pm by Don Stephan »  
IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 8:41pm

Ken, I think rolling them into your pond is the only way to ensure they don't split !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print