WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Electrical Wiring ?
Oct 15th, 2017 at 5:11pm

I bought a Delta multi-tool...saw,drillpress and jointer a while back.It works great...Love it for what I do .It is perfect.

I noticed the previous owner had put a longer orange drop cord on it.I was checking it out and saw a bad spot in the wire so I wanted to cut that place out and wire it back.The place was near where it goes to the switch..I untaped what previous owner had done and saw a piece of the ground had a naked place on it .It had tape on it..The ground wire from the motor and cord was soldered together together.The neutral wire from the motor and drop cord was soldered together also. The hot was broken through the switch to turn it on and off..

When I cut the bad place out I will have to reconnect these back together..I dont want to buy a soldering iron for this one time use and was thinking about using wire nuts for connecting the ground wires and doing the same on the neutral leads also.I thought about using sta-cons and could do that also.Whatever I would do I would then tape it all up good and secure. What would you guys do? I have had some electrical...enough to understand basic wire etc.  All is working good w/o any problems I just want to make this safer.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2017 at 5:14pm by Mike Turner »  

IP Logged

Len Mullin

WR Rocks!

Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada
Miramichi
New Brunswick
Canada

Re: Electrical Wiring ?
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 7:00pm

Mike, why would you go to the bother of doing a splice, when it would be just as easy and quick to install a complete unspliced wire? If you were to use a new wire, it would probably last for as long as you would need the multi-tool. Plus, you'd probably only have to fix it the one time. Where if you were to splice it, you would probably end up fixing it more then one time.
Len

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 2:53am

Len,That is a thought.I had not looked into the connections in the motor which I havent done before but shouldnt be...Ill look at that.Thanks for scratching my old head loll!

IP Logged

Bob_Macgregor

Round wood.  Sharp steel.

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 7:09am

If you dismantle it to get at the switch for rewiring, do it very slowly and carefully.   I once damaged the cord to a circular saw and managed to drop the innards of the saw out onto the workbench when I split it to replace the cord...I (eventually) took it to a repair shop to get all the pieces back where they belonged.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 10:04am

Before you dismantle anything, if you're the slightest bit unsure, take some photos..
Mike Turner wrote on Oct 15th, 2017 at 5:11pm:
was thinking about using wire nuts for connecting the ground wires and doing the same on the neutral leads also.I thought about using sta-cons and could do that also

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register is a brand name, not stlye of connector. That being said, you want a good mechanical connection which translates into a good electrical connection.
A crimped style connector is fine for low voltage and wires or those that get little movement but if you wiring the motor, you may want a better mechanical connection.
Knowing the gauge of wire and current it's to operate is helpful (necessary IMO) when choosing a connection method. I would rewire the entire length without splices.
JMO

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 3:41pm

If the Delta is like my old Delta and many other brands, the cord is usually attached to the motor with push on blade connectors? Places like Home Depot and Menards sell cord sets with connectors already on the 3 wire cords and a grounding plug. You might get lucky and find one that's almost a duplicate of your original. Motor usually has an access cover for the wiring?? If not then removing the 2 long bolts through the motor usually lets you slide off the motor end without removing anything else.
Geo.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 6:40pm

I used to get crimp-on spade connectors at a local hardware store.  If going that route a crimping tool is very helpful.  I have two different wire strippers and each has a place to crimp the most common sizes.

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 11:39am

I did replace the wire all the way to the motor and put a new switch on it too.Works good.Thanks for all the help.!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print