Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replaceable tip carbide tools (Read 752 times)

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Replaceable tip carbide tools
Oct 16th, 2017 at 9:06pm

I don't use these tools but I know many do.
I just saw these and thought I would post the link.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IMO They are way too expensive, (glad I don't use them) and why are pen turning tools always so small?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Len Mullin

WR Rocks!

Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada
Miramichi
New Brunswick
Canada

Re: Replaceable tip carbide tools
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 9:27pm

Ed, it's quite possible that pen turning tools are the size they are, because that's as large as they need to be. I own a couple of sets these small carbide tools, personally, I think they are a perfect size for turning pens. For pens you normally use 3/4" stock, how large of a tool do you think is needed. I have used full sized tools for turning pens, the smaller tools are nicer to use for pen turning imo. If possible, I think you should try using the small carbide tools. You may be surprised, at with how well they work on 3/4" stock.
Len

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 10:19am

Handle length is a personal preference.

The wood may get smaller when turning pens, I do not.
IMO the smaller tools promote poor body position and tool usage by forcing you to work in a cramped position. If I need to, I could choke up on the handles of my tools and effectively have the same length handle. Longer handles offer more precise control due to the handle length (lever from fulcrum distance)
The Pen tools I linked to are 12 1/2" overall length, way too short for me. YMMV

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 1:12pm

There must be at least 6 firms making the carbide scrapers, so they must be good sells.  A lot of turners are making there own.   I have 3 of the scraper tools that get little use and 5 of the Hunter tools that get more use, I have still mnot mastered them

IP Logged

Glenn Matthies

WR Rocks!

Lockport, NY, New York, USA
Lockport, NY
New York
USA

Jet 1642 EVS 2 hp
Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 6:37am

Ed Weber wrote on Oct 17th, 2017 at 10:19am:
Handle length is a personal preference.

The wood may get smaller when turning pens, I do not.
IMO the smaller tools promote poor body position and tool usage by forcing you to work in a cramped position. If I need to, I could choke up on the handles of my tools and effectively have the same length handle. Longer handles offer more precise control due to the handle length (lever from fulcrum distance)
The Pen tools I linked to are 12 1/2" overall length, way too short for me. YMMV

I prefer longer handles also on most of my tools.  12 1/2" overall length is probably close to the length of the bedan I made but that tool is used differently than many others.  On gouges and scrapers I prefer a long handle.

I do like the 45 degree angle for sheer scraping featured in this tool set.  I haven't used one and have no idea how well it works but I am never the less intrigued.  It might be fun to scrounge up a chunk of steel and experiment some. 

Are these cutters any different than the cutters sold by others (EWT, Hunter, et.al)?  Just curious.  I own only one of these carbide tools and that is a curved one for inside hollow forms.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 8:52am

Glenn Matthies wrote on Oct 19th, 2017 at 6:37am:
Are these cutters any different than the cutters sold by others (EWT, Hunter, et.al)?  Just curious.

Good question, I wish I knew.
I do know that not all carbide is created equally. many people don't realize that carbide is "made". You basically follow a recipe consisting or ingredients, grain size and temperature. Just like anything else, there is a range of qualities to be found.
Small companies don't make there own carbide and it may be difficult to impossible to find out who actually makes the inserts. I would take a wild guess and say that a few companies sell cutting tips to majority of those offering these tools.
JMO

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 9:01am

These cutters look to be like the EWT cutters, just polished better. The Hunter cutters are completely different. They are "cupped" and actually have a very small bevel that you can ride to take slicing cuts. I have the number 5 and it does a very good job on end grain vases, cutting from the center out to the wall.

As for pens, I've turned many hundreds and use the same tools that I use for larger spindles and bowls. I rough down the square blank with a spindle roughing gouges and finish with a 1/2" bowl gouge. I tried the small "pen" tools at a demo and much prefer full size tools.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 10:31am

Grant Wilkinson wrote on Oct 19th, 2017 at 9:01am:
The Hunter cutters are completely different.

Hunter has been making their replaceable tip tools far longer than EWT and all the clones.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Hunter tools are also designed and work in an entirely different way (they are not scrapers) and IMO it's like comparing apples & oranges.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 6:03pm

Thanks for sharing Ed...I'd not seen them and probably would have bought those had they been around when I purchased my EWTs.  Now, however, I just use the EWTs for menial turning tasks and switch to traditional tools for most work.  That said...tools are tools and I'm sure many will find these meet their needs just fine.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print