Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wooden Faceplate (Read 520 times)

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Wooden Faceplate
Oct 17th, 2017 at 12:16pm

Bought my Beale tap and am getting ready to try my hand at making a wooden faceplate. Have watched a number of videos and have learned a lot so far. However, nothing like first hand experience. My question right now is how do you use these wooden faceplates? I understand that there can be different sizes, some made for use with a chuck, etc.
It would seem that hardwood would be a requirement. Does anyone use them for bowls? If so, how large?
Thanks
Bruce

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Re: Wooden Faceplate
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 12:35pm

I only use mine as a component of vacuum chucks. I don't understand your reference to making wooden faceplates for use with a chuck. I tend to think of faceplates and chucks as being an either/or thing.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 12:52pm

I guess you can cut a tenon and/or mortise into the back, in addition to tapping it. That way you can attach it to a chuck, I think some people like to use a chuck in this way. I have seen guys attach metal faceplates to a chuck.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 2:58pm

When making threaded connections to your headstock, be SURE the mating surface on the part you made is TRUE.  this will SUBSTANCIALLY reduce any run-out.... and DON'T use one of these anti-lock washers (see below).  It rides against the mating surface and they are NOT TRUE.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 6:37pm

After struggling mightily soon after buying my first chuck to get it unscrewed from the lathe spindle, I have always used a plastic washer.  There may be runout, but I haven't noticed a problem, and now I can always unscrew the chuck without difficulty.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 9:27am

Bruce Kamp wrote on Oct 17th, 2017 at 12:16pm:
My question right now is how do you use these wooden faceplates?

I typically use my home made wooden faceplate with mounting tape for reverse mounting plates or platters, although it does have through holes to accommodate screws it necessary. This Faceplate is nothing fancy but works well. I cut the mounting area to fit my head stock. I inserted washers to eliminate damage to the screw holes. The mounting area is thick so I could drill a hole to accept a Tommy bar if necessary. I made mine out of Brazilian Cherry for durability (it's what I had on hand at the time) Also, it's a good idea to flood the threads with CA glue to help stiffen the fibers, once cured run the tap through again and clean up the excess.

Tom Coghill wrote on Oct 17th, 2017 at 2:58pm:
When making threaded connections to your headstock, be SURE the mating surface on the part you made is TRUE.  this will SUBSTANCIALLY reduce any run-out.... and DON'T use one of these anti-lock washers (see below).  It rides against the mating surface and they are NOT TRUE.

Not all of these washers are the same quality. Most of this "anti washer bias" has simply been repeated and blown way out of proportion.

Don Stephan wrote on Oct 17th, 2017 at 6:37pm:
I have always used a plastic washer.  There may be runout, but I haven't noticed a problem, and now I can always unscrew the chuck without difficulty.

Run Out is inevitable to a certain degree. What needs to be mentioned is that,
1. Run Out is only a noticable problem when you remove and try to re-mount in a different orientation.
2. The degree or amount of Run Out that is a "problem" is subjective.
I hear woodturners complain about being out .002 or some ridiculous number.
WOOD MOVES, it bends, it twists, it bows and it changes size with the ambient humidity surrounding it. You can spend all day dialing in you machine to near as near perfect as possible but to what benefit? I personally don't know of care how much Run Out the plastic washer I use introduces to the alignment. I do know that if it does add any, it's not enough to have a noticeable effect on my turnings.
As always JMO

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 10:25am

I love that thing Ed. Gives me something else to make !! Geo.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print