Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Transpower H-1000 Heavy Duty (Read 880 times)

Jerry Murphy
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Fallbrook, California, USA
Fallbrook
California
USA

Transpower H-1000 Heavy Duty
Oct 17th, 2017 at 12:21pm

Is anyone familiar with the Transpower H-1000 1hp lathe? I cannot find much information about them on the net. I saw one for sale and it seems like it's a good price $275.00. I'm Jerry Murphy this is my first post here, would love to hear from you, by the forum I have seen you are a  knowledgeable group. Look forward to being a member.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Re: Transpower H-1000 Heavy Duty
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 4:52pm

Doing a Google search, it appears to have a Reeves variable speed drive on it which is less than desirable.

For operation, the minimum speed of the lathe tends to be a little fast for starting larger items which may be a little out of balance.

Reeves drives tend to need repair and maintenance. Parts availability for brands like Delta is poor - for an unheard of brand name, the need to replace a part a few years down the road could make the machine unuseable.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Len Mullin

WR Rocks!

Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada
Miramichi
New Brunswick
Canada

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 9:37pm

Hello Jerry, welcome to the WTR, how's about telling us a bit about yourself? I'm not familiar with this brand of lathe, but like Tony has mentioned it has a Reeves drive. They can be problemmental at times, but sometimes they work the very best. The lathe I own has the same type of drive system, I've never had an issue with it. I do service it on a regular basis, but there's not all that much involved in servicing them. All I do to service mine, is to clean up both sides of the drive clutch and to oil the shaft it slides on. This might be a good lathe to start out on, but in time you'll be looking for a better lathe.
Len

IP Logged

Glenn Matthies

WR Rocks!

Lockport, NY, New York, USA
Lockport, NY
New York
USA

Jet 1642 EVS 2 hp
Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 6:09am

First off, welcome aboard Jerry!

I battled a poorly built Reeves drive on my Delta for far too long.  While the price is right for your budget, there is probably a reason it is priced so as such.  Parts will likely be an issue should something fail and the aggravation is no fun at all. 

My advice, look for something a little better with some sort of electronic speed control.  It will cost more but it will be worth it.  Even if you eventually decide wood turning isn't for you, a nice lathe with electronic speed control has resale value.  Lathes with blown out Reeves drives are called "boat anchors" and the resale market for that is very poor.  Good luck!

IP Logged

Jerry Murphy
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Fallbrook
California
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 9:54am

Thank you for your quick  replies and good advice  I have been seeing the Reeves Drive mentioned as not a good thing but at this point I am not able to ID them like you guys do. I have been looking on craigslist for a used wood lathe. Which ones would you  suggest I look for and types I should stay away from.  I am a retired contractor,  retired early due to health issues. I have a pretty good shop but not a lathe. I used a lathe quite a bit in high school and quite enjoyed it and always wanted to get one  but it definitely appears I need to be brought up to speed on the subject. Sincerely thank you guys for your input.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 10:19am

I have the same drive on my Delta Jerry and really do not see any problems with it. Easy to pull apart and grease it once in awhile. Has some sliding fits that need to stay greased especially the pulley half sliding on a keyway. If the rest of the lathe suits you and you are not going into high volume production of things to sell, I'd go for it. just my opinion. Geo.

IP Logged

Jerry Murphy
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Fallbrook
California
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 11:48am

This is the lathe it seems similar to the King Canada H-1000

IP Logged

Jerry Murphy
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Fallbrook
California
USA

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 11:49am

The info

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 7:19pm

Your profile doesn't indicate where you live.  A local turning group sometimes knows of unadvertised used lathes for sale and unadvertised store sales of new ones.

IP Logged

Jerry Murphy
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Fallbrook
California
USA

Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 12:42pm

I live in Fallbrook CA. That is in north county San Diego, if you do know of a local turning group I would love to get in contact with them,Thanks Don, I will check my profile I thought I put it on a map.

IP Logged

Dwight Rutherford

WR Rocks!

Roseville, California, USA
Roseville
California
USA

Jet 1642
Rose Engine
Reply #10 - Oct 20th, 2017 at 5:37pm

Here is the woodturning club in your area.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Jerry Murphy
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Fallbrook
California
USA

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 2:07pm

Thank you Dwight, I will get in touch with them

IP Logged