Send Topic Print
Hollowing Woes (Read 253 times)

Chip Clark
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Rikon 105-70
Hollowing Woes
Oct 23rd, 2017 at 11:40am

I'm new at turning and having a real challenge with hollowing. If i use anything but a bowl gouge it takes a huge amount of time. If i use a bowl gouge - no matter how careful i am it usually catches and either takes out huge chunks or I've had the bowl actually break apart. Can anyone recommend maybe a tutorial out there somewhere?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Re: Hollowing Woes
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 1:03pm

watch any of the videos on the tips section. Bob Hamilton was very good at showing how to do bowls.

Be sure your tools are sharp!

Glenn J.

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Supporter

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 1:11pm

Chip: Are your problems with hollowing or with turning the inside of bowls - or both?

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Chip Clark
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Rikon 105-70
Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 5:06pm

Grant Wilkinson wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 1:11pm:
Chip: Are your problems with hollowing or with turning the inside of bowls - or both?

Grant - by hollowing i meant turning the inside of the bowl. I have no problems on the outside.

Glen - thanks I'll check those videos.

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 7:06pm

In addition to the videos in the tips section.
Here is one by Brendan Stemp. It is two parts, one on the outside and one on the inside.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Richard Raffan shows some causes in this video, the first half is on the skew and the second half is on bowls (about 12 minutes long total).
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 7:27pm

Welcome to the group.  Can't begin to describe how much I have learned here and how helpful people are.

Your profile doesn't indicate where you live.  A local turning group can be an enormous aid to learning and improving at turning.  You can try searching on the Internet for a group near you, and/or others here have said there is a list of local AAW affiliated turning groups on the American Association of Woodturners web site.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 11:25am

Chip, I also have a bunch of videos in the video section here, or on You Tube that are mostly about bowl turning, just type in robo hippy.

The biggest problem most people have on the inside of a bowl is trying to keep the flutes pointing straight up. It can be done, but that wing on the bowl side, if it comes off the bevel even a tiny bit, you get a massive cut. This is why I always keep mine rolled over to about 45 to 90 degrees, then the top wing can't catch.

The other problem is going through the transition, where the side wall turns into the bottom. The more open this is the easier it is to do. The more closed or tight that curve is, the more difficult it is to do. You also need a BOB (bottom of bowl) tool. Gouges can have a range of bevel angles. Most of the time I use a 45 degree bevel. That works fine on most plate type forms, but for deeper bowls, you can't make it through the transition. This is where you need a 60 or 70 degree bevel, with at least half of the heel ground off so it works better in a concave surface.

Yea, try to find the nearest club. Videos can be good, but you can't beat hands on instruction. Most clubs have mentors.

robo hippy

IP Logged

george dolak
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Preston, New York, USA
Preston
New York
USA

El cheapo. table topper.
Reply #7 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 11:45am

Mike Mills wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 7:06pm:
In addition to the videos in the tips section.
Here is one by Brendan Stemp. It is two parts, one on the outside and one on the inside.
Richard Raffan shows some causes in this video, the first half is on the skew and the second half is on bowls (about 12 minutes long total).

I watched the two videos by Brenden Stemp.  I picked up a couple of good tips. Thanks Geo.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 7:16pm

In addition to videos linked from this forum, I've watched the bowl turning video by Richard Raffan probably 40 times and I still pick learn a fine point or two every time.  All his book and video pairs are extremely useful and valuable in my opinion.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print