WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

ER-32?
Oct 23rd, 2017 at 7:23pm

Now that I'm becoming aware of collet chucks and inserts (not jaws - I try to pay attention in class) what is the significance of "ER-32?"  Is this related or unrelated to the morse taper designation on the other end?

IP Logged

Jurriaan Kalkman

just below the middle, Netherlands
just below the middle
Netherlands

Re: ER-32?
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 2:41am

It's a name for a certain outside size of collets. This of course limits the size of what you can insert in it (it can't be bigger inside than the outside, as all woodturners know) and says something about the adapter (collet) needed to hold them.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Since the require a certain size, how much can fit within the Morse conus is related. I think ER32/MK3 is common. ER32/MK2 would have more of the collet cavity outside.

Well, I'm a Dutchman!
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: ER-32?
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 8:41am

The ER in collets refers to the size. An ER-32 collet has an outside diameter of 32mm
While the outside dimensions of the collet are important to some, IMO the more important dimensions are the holding capacities. Example
ER16 series collets have a capacity of .015-.4375 inches. (you see this size on handle collets) Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
ER32 series collets have a capacity of .02-.787 inches. ( this is the common chuck size linked to above)
The ER-32 size collet chuck is the most common available to woodturners mostly due to it's holding capacity range.
Most collet chucks come as a set but individual collets (special, fractional and metric) can be purchased for less than $20

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print