Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

CA vs Epoxy
Oct 29th, 2017 at 1:37pm

I've seen this discussed previously but cannot find the thread.  I've been using epoxy to repair cracks or minor inclusions in my pieces.  I like the Gorilla brand and have good success while I know others use CA glue.  Can I trouble anyone with a preference to respond with their pros/cons?

Thanks all...John

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: CA vs Epoxy
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 2:51pm

I like the smell of CA as it reminds me of North Jersey along the Turnpike!

Longing for my home state!!! Shocked  ( not really!!) Thumbs Up

Haven't tried Gorilla stuff but the CA seems to work fine for me.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 2:55pm

I don't have a preference, but I do think there are differences. 

CA, especially the thin variety, tends fill fine cracks better than epoxy.  I think the reason is that a high viscosity material won't flow into the crack, but rather will simply bridge the surface. 

But if the defect is larger, my experience is that a blend of epoxy and either sawdust or coffee grounds is more easily forced into the void. 

That said, I also have problems with air bubbles in epoxy (I suppose that's why they make pressure pots - but I don't have one).  But what I can do is fill the void, let it cure, cut back the surface, and then if there are bubbles, do another application of the filler.  Takes more time, but that's ok - it's not a race to the finish.

The other thing is that when mixing something like sawdust or coffee grounds to tint the infill, epoxy works better because you can blend whatever powder you are using into the epoxy before adding the hardener - which means that the time required to blend in the colorant doesn't subtract from the working time.  Just don't add the hardener until you have the colorant thoroughly blended into the epoxy.  If you are using CA, every minute spent blending the colorant is a minute less of working time.

And one other point - which also relates to the size defect you are working on.  CA tends to be brittle when it cures, while epoxy retains some flexibility.  If its a small crack, brittle isn't an issue, but it is if the defect is large.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2017 at 3:01pm by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 3:18pm

Thanks Louie...it 'sounds' like thin CA is better for hairline cracks as it will fill better whereas bigger 'challenges' is better with epoxy, especially if strength is an issue.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 6:55pm

I use both.  Another factor, epoxy is easier to sand.  I have been experimenting with white glue mixed with coffee grounds, seems similar to CA or epoxy, for large cracks.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 9:00am

Louie Powell wrote on Oct 29th, 2017 at 2:55pm:
CA tends to be brittle when it cures, while epoxy retains some flexibility.  If its a small crack, brittle isn't an issue, but it is if the defect is large.

To me, this is the central issue which separates the two.
I view them this way,
CA is more for cosmetic repairs
Epoxy is more for structural repairs

Louie Powell wrote on Oct 29th, 2017 at 2:55pm:
That said, I also have problems with air bubbles in epoxy (I suppose that's why they make pressure pots - but I don't have one).  But what I can do is fill the void, let it cure, cut back the surface, and then if there are bubbles, do another application of the filler.  Takes more time, but that's ok - it's not a race to the finish.

Air bubbles in epoxy can usually be taken care of with a heat gun or torch. If using a heat gun put a filter on the intake as to not draw in debris that can then be passed to the wet epoxy.
(some prefer a hot air solution to an open flame)

Always try these procedures on a test piece before performing on the final product.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print