Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Why did you start turning wood? (Read 1,314 times)
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Why did you start turning wood?
Oct 30th, 2017 at 8:06am

QOTW:Why did you start turning wood?

Being a flat woodworker I hadn't considered becoming a woodturner. I was making a dropleaf table with draws on the short sides and I couldn't find knobs that looked good. The white porcelain, glass or metal ones looked horrible and I couldn't find wooden ones of the same species that had the color or correct grain direction that I was looking for. I had jokingly mentioned to my wife I needed a lathe to make my own and she chuckled.

A few months later it was Christmas and my daughters had gifted me a set of Sorby woodturning tools. I figured they didn't realize what the tools were for and not wanting to disappoint them I said that they were a wonderful gift and thanked the for them. They giggled when they walked away the way only young sisters can.

A few hours later my wife needed something to be put together and I needed a screwdriver. So I went down into my shop and nearly tripped over a box. Inside the box was a new Jet 1236 lathe.

They got me!

I didn't put the lathe together until summer when I found another turner to give me lessons and how to sharpen my tools.

There was no turning back.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Cliff De Witt
WR Addict

DeSoto, TX, Texas, USA
DeSoto, TX
Texas
USA

Re: Why did you start turning wood?
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 10:46am

I started in pottery in High School, turned bowls and urns for YEARS.
One day, I saw a  demonstration of turning at a fair, it looked nice.

The turner sanded and finished the bowl and was done! I realized that once I took something off the wheel I still had three more months of work to do on it. 

I was doing wood fired pottery so I had LOTS of wood on the property and one thing led to another and now the Kiln is used to cook brisket and turkeys this time of year.

One of my biggest fears is that my widow will sell all my toys based on what I told her I paid for them.

Matthew 25:45

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 11:53am

Ron said: "... no turning back".

Good label for a shop entrance plaque, turning club, turned item, etc. I might use it as a name for the horse stall that I turn in.   

When I transported my Uncle's shop in AZ to NY, I wanted to see what the big deal was with this Shop Smith thing. After assembling it and trying to turn a bowling pin, there was "No turning back".

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Warren White
WR Noob

Livermore, California, USA
Livermore
California
USA

Powermatic 2020
Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 1:42pm

I needed to find something to occupy my time, since my wife was very busy making quilts and receiving blankets for humanitarian needs.  I called a good friend who had a lathe and who had shown me things he had made.  I asked if he would consider teaching me how to turn things.  He replied that he would "pay" me to come and learn!

I bought a Jet lathe on Craigslist, and began turning and loved it!  Next I took a class at Craft Supply and noted that the chuck we used was probably half the weight of my little Jet lathe.  So....I bought a Powermatic P2020.  I am very pleased with the lathe and the increased possibilities it presents.

I love this hobby and really appreciate all of the friends I have made who helped me when I needed it.  Once in a while I can reciprocate, to "pay it forward" and I enjoy that as well.

IP Logged

Steve Arnold

WR Rocks!

Burbank, California, USA
Burbank
California
USA

Jet 1640EVS
Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 10:10pm

During a woodshop class back in junior high school, with lots of help from my instructor, I turned my first bowl. I always told myself that someday I'd be turning another one. Over the years at various crafts fairs I'd encounter turners and walk away saying to myself that someday I'd find a way to turn another bowl like I had back in my school days.

Well, it's taken me about 45 years, but I finally made good on my promise to myself to turn a second bowl and now (sorry Ron) there's no turning back for me either.  Grin

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 7:54am

I honestly don't know what the answer is to that question. It was something I had an interest in for several years. In the early 2000s I bought a used Smithy SuperShop, then after I was able to make and assemble a couple pen kits for Christmas 2005, there was "no turning back."
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2017 at 7:55am by Tony Rozendaal »  

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 9:54am

I had also turned a bowl in high school and loved it back then.

Now 2 score and a decade later, I thought I'd like to take a turning class and went to David Ellsworth's home in Pa for my reintroduction. Of couse that got me hooked and have since built my shop and bought tons of tools and tons of burls and hope to have it as a source of income in my later years when I close the frameshop.

On the plus side, since i'm buying all of these tools and such while still running my business, it all gets written off as a business expense on my taxes. Smiley Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Rich Gouette

04210, Maine, USA
Maine
USA

Central Machinery 18" with 18" Rockler extension

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 2:27pm

My start is just beginning..wait, that's redundant

Ok, well anyway, I have decided that I wish to try my hand at making my own Uilleann pipe chanter.
So there, that's it.
Rather lofty goals , but who cares...I'm going to do it, or lose an eye trying(I hope not)

Have a 18" lathe, now am hunting for a chuck..
:}
Rich

brrr I'm in Maine
IP Logged

David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

LAGUNA REVO 15X24
CONOVER 15 x Infinity
Long gone: Shopsmith, Myford ML8, Homebuilt bowl lathe, NOVA benchtop, Delta 46-715 and a Unimat.

Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 6:40pm

Ninth grade, 1956, made a too small mallet in woodshop. Scraping only. Took till 1968 to start for real. The mallet is on display in my shop.

Everyone has 1 redeeming feature: they're biodegradable

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #9 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 10:27am

Wood shop at Lane Tech High School in 1947 required everyone to make a small stool with 4 turned legs. Wife still has it around and early this year she decided she needs a spinning wheel. That really got me started in wood turning and now i'm loving it. Lots of small projects and the spinning wheel is collecting dust in the living room. I guess it was easier to make than use?

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #10 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 1:40pm

George..

I think she was just trying  to get you out of the house!! Shocked Grin

My mom did that to my Dad... ALOT!!! Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #11 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 11:33pm

I started flat work in 1985.  About 2005, I started looking at turnings and saying that looks like fun.  I bought my first lathe in 2007 and the rest is just history. Don't do much flat work at all now--it takes too long Grin

IP Logged

Rick Caron

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #12 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 7:46pm

I took wood shop class in high school for 4 years.   Always watched and recorded  Yankee work shop.  Made a few pieces of furniture and decided  straight cuts were boring.  Bought  a like new  1975 delta lathe in 2012,  was hooked.  Took a class @ wood craft  using a jet midi lathe.  Bought one.    now own a nova dvr xp.   I have  many tools in my little  20x32 ft. shop.  but always go to my lathe.    I like the freedom to change my bowl design at any given minute.  Never going back.

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #13 - Nov 3rd, 2017 at 11:57pm

I used to just refinish/repair antiques as a hobby and occasionally make some change.  Visited with my father in law who had a Shopsmith, liked it and got one & started using it to make all kinds of things -was pretty happy/relaxing.  Then I saw a show where the SS was configured as a lathe.  Hadn’t done that yet, so decided to give it a “whirl” — I really liked it!!—there was no turning back. Quickly exceeded what it could do and started on a journey of ever bigger lathes (and tools, and chucks, and chainsaws etc).
Someday I’ll try pens & other small stuff— I really love doing the bigger things.  Have no shortage of woods— folks just give me trees.

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Hondo Walker

WR Rocks!

Harbor Freight mini lathe
Reply #14 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:45am

I had always saw lathes on tv and had been curious. In 2015 I had 6 strokes. I couldn't work anymore and I couldn't do the things I used to do. I sat on my couch for a year and about went crazy. My wife got a settlement last year and I used some of it to start a workshop in my attic. I bought a mini lathe from Harbor Freight and started turning. That was in July. I am only now starting to turn bowls and such with any skill at all.

I post videos of me turning things and I haven't yet gotten any views. I did a plywood bowl a few days ago. wasn't easy ro do as I broke my tennon like 5 times. My videos are all under Ookie Wonderslug channel.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print