Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Organizing Sanding Disks (Read 157 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Organizing Sanding Disks
Nov 1st, 2017 at 4:18pm

For me, the only thing worse than sanding is changing disks and interface pads. Early on I found that interface pads tended to last longer if I had a separate pad for each grit of sandpaper, so when sanding a bowl I have a number of pads to progress through, often using tapered or radiused pads with 2" diameter paper on the inside of the bowl and flat pads with 2 3/8" paper on the outside. Another discovery was that the grit on discs wears down sometimes after only a minute or two of use, so in addition to a number of pads scattered about I have bags of disks to look through.

Having some 2" thick high density insulating styrofoam on hand, I decided to make storage platters, one for 2" interface pads and disks and one for 2 3/8" interface pads and disks. When I need to change grits I simply remove that interface pad from the mandrel, put that pad/disc combination in the corresponding location on the platter, and get the next one.  When I need to replace a sanding disc, extras are in the platter ready to be selected.  Have only an hour of experience with them, but so far I'm very happy.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Organizing Sanding Disks
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 4:19pm

Here are the dimensions for the two platters.
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2017 at 4:26pm by Don Stephan »  
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 4:35pm

Well, corrected the spelling in TurboCAD and the jpg, but it keeps showing up in the 2nd drawing.  If you wish to change the number of storage holes, I'd suggest trying to keep about 1/2" between the holes.  These were cut on a bandsaw; because the foam cuts so quickly and easily one might consider using a scroll saw instead. 

A 2" x 4' x 8' sheet of the foam is not cheap, but the platters are light and make excellent jam chucks.  Mount a piece of 3/4" plywood on a screw chuck, turn a tenon for a 4 jaw chuck, glue a foam disk to the other side of the plywood, and the next day shape the foam with a spindle gouge and a light touch.  Tightbond I seems to adhere well to the foam.  And if a longer jam chuck is needed, glue to pieces of foam together.

These jam chucks work so very well that I have made a set of 3 or 4 for each of the chuck jaws I use most often for bowl tenons.

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Supporter

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 7:03am

Those look great, Don! I have my disks in drawers, with dividers similar to yours in the drawers. I made my dividers from rigid foam insulation. It's cheap and cuts well with a hole saw. I like your idea of using softer foam that can serve double duty as jam chucks.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584