Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shop Fox Parts? Any suggestions? (Read 184 times)

Sal McAuley
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Shop Fox W1704
Shop Fox Parts? Any suggestions?
Nov 6th, 2017 at 8:05am

Good morning all. I have a shop Fox 1704 lathe. It was a starter lathe for making Bottle Stoppers and such. Turns out my Handle for the tail stock worn the front lip and started to break off. So the set screw will not catch now when I turn the tailstock in. I think it's under warranty, but wonder if there is a way to replace this with a wheel type handle? Any thoughts if anyone owns a shop fox lathe and have upgraded the tailstock handle to something else?

Thanks for any insight. Hopefully I'll be stepping up to a much larger lathe soon and better quality. So far though the Shop Fox has treated me well.

Have a great day!

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Re: Shop Fox Parts? Any suggestions?
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 8:48am

Sal

I assume you are referring to the knurled knob at the end of the tailstock that is used to advance or retract the ram.

I think that design is standard for Shop Fox.  You can probably purchase a replacement from the US distributor.

So the question is whether you can substitute an aftermarket wheel with a handle for the knurled knob.  I suspect that the answer is yes, but it would be up to you do measure the diameter of the shaft to determine the size required.  There are a number of specialty suppliers who offer generic components that might fit.  Alternatively, you could probably have something fabricated at a local machine shop.

I started out with a Shop Fox 1704 - it was a good starter lathe, but I eventually opted to upgrade to a midi.

Louie

IP Logged

Sal McAuley
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Shop Fox W1704
Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 9:55am

Thanks Louie! I appreciate the info. I'm waiting to get a call back from the company that produces the Shop Fox. It's still under warranty. It worked flawlessly up until about a week ago it began to get hard to turn. I should have removed it to inspect but assume the damage was beginning then so no turning back from that. I just hope they don't state it was my fault. I've been using it for over a year and half with no issues. It just looks like the lip that pulls against the set screw worn down and broke clean off the handle.

The lathe has treated me well. It's great mini lathe at the cost. I eventually will also be upgrading to a midi. I want to turn larger bowls eventually than the 8" one's I'm turning now.

Any suggestions on a good vendor for a generic wheel?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Dwight Rutherford

WR Rocks!

Roseville, California, USA
Roseville
California
USA

Jet 1642
Rose Engine
Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 11:45am

Try McMaster-Carr or SMC.

IP Logged

Sal McAuley
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Shop Fox W1704
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 11:59am

Thanks.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 12:13pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Sal McAuley
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Shop Fox W1704
Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 9:01pm

Kind of disappointed right now with Shop Fox's Tech support.

When I called the guy caught me off guard and I Felt kind of tricked into answering his question incorrectly the way he worded it.  I'm no pro at this, about a year and half turning but he made me feel like a total newb?

I Feel this part should have been under warranty, it's only $12 but it's the way he played it out. After I hung up I was kind of taken back like did he just trick me into that answer????

He asked me due to the failure, and this isn't the first time he's seen this, but am I using the knob to push the item taunt? I'm like yeah isn't that what it's for? Then he said no, you find your center then the handle takes up the slack.....That's what I do? I find center, either live center which I drive into the piece, then the tail-stock handle is used to take up slack, hold it tight in place? He made me feel like I was using the handle to drive the tail stock into a fresh live stock and that caused the issue? Sadly I'm not even strong enough to turn the handle into Oak pieces to hold the live center in place? I have to use a hammer to do that, not turning a knob???

After I hung up the phone I was like "Wait a minute what just happened" I didn't bother calling back, but was disappointed with the guy the way he laid that down.

And, I still don't have the part. I had to order it from a local supplier from the Missouri outfit shipping it. And they shipped it out on 11/6 but couln't provide tracking. I called ever day after 11/8 since Missouri is a few states from PA, UPS Shouldn't take  week right? Turns out I wont' have it until next Tuesday.

I still say the part failed due to usage, I've turned some serious miles on this thing, but for the Tech to make me feel like I Broke it or such from abuse kind of left me thinking I might go another route when I upgrade to a larger model...Ugh.... I said to the tech this handle functioned perfectly for over a year until last week it started to get harder to turn than normal. That's when it began to fail. I would imagine if I was abusing it like he stated, it would have failed much, much sooner than it had....
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2017 at 9:06pm by Sal McAuley »  

IP Logged

Sal McAuley
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Shop Fox W1704
Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 1:18pm

And today, still no part. Ugh. I need to call the vendor again..... Frustrating....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print