• Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The Skew (Read 2,570 times)

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Re: The Skew
Reply #15 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 12:39pm

I find that the only thing I can use the 1/2 skew for is that the 1/2 inch one I have is at the perfect angle for putting a dove-tail recess on the back of something to fit my chuck jaws. Just lay it flat and plunge at an angle and clean out the center. Works great but anything else is just catchs and they look dangerous. Geo.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #16 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 4:29pm

Skew is a 4 letter word.... I am getting the feel for it, well better than I used to. I do find them handy for peeling cuts, which can be for sizing, and for a finish cut on spindles. I never had much luck with a good finish cut with a skew on spindles, until I got a 600 and 1000 grit CBN wheel, and had better luck when I took those grinds to my Tormek honing wheel. I must have been doing hand honing wrong forever.

The convex grind works better for curved shapes rather than a straight line cut, and the standard skew works better for straight cuts and V cuts. Well, for me. I do prefer gouges for coves and beads though.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #17 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 6:30pm

Definitely a learning curve, but I don't know how I would get as flat a cut along a flat section of spindle with any other tool than my 1" skew.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #18 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 6:40pm

John Grace wrote on Nov 11th, 2017 at 8:42am:
As once famously said Ron...'this one is strong with the force'.

Seriously though...question for context, what type of work do you do?

Check my website, it's in my signature.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #19 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 7:50pm

Ron...wonderful work, very refined and elegant.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #20 - Nov 12th, 2017 at 10:59am

Thank you

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Steve Jones
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Wadkin
Reply #21 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 9:32am

Oh Ed,
Just joined and scrolling the pages and read this. Shocked, the Skew is the best tool by a million miles for a spindle turner and no tool can match it for speed, finish and it can do things a spindle gouge can’t. Don’t write it off just because you’re not comfortable with it.

IP Logged

Donald Jordan

WR Rocks!

Tampa, Florida, USA
Tampa
Florida
USA

Nova 1624-44
Reply #22 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 9:50am

I've always wanted to learn the Skew... of course I've always wanted to be 6'-2". (I'm 5'-8" by the way Cheesy)
I've never used a tool more possessed by evil Angry

I've tried several times.. really!! Gotten somewhat comfortable... then BAM.. it takes control and  Cry

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #23 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 10:28am

Welcome Steve, please don't think I'm jumping on you with your first post.
You should post something in the introductions 

I do want to clarify for those who misunderstand my position.

Steve Jones wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 9:32am:
Don’t write it off just because you’re not comfortable with it.

That's exactly why I write it off, because I'm not comfortable with it.

noun: comfort

1. a state of physical ease and freedom from pain or constraint.

2.  the easing or alleviation of a person's feelings of grief or distress.

Neither of these two phrases describes me when using a skew.

When performing any type of work that relies on hand tools the artist or crafts-person needs to be comfortable with there tools, We've all heard phrases like " the tool is an extension of his hand" or similar when referring to an accomplished artist or crafts-person . If you're not "comfortable" with your tools, you are less safe and too much of your attention is focused on trying to tame or control the tool rather than actually performing the craft you're supposed to be focused on.
I often remind people that knowing your tools capabilities and limitations is a key part of the equation for success but not the only part. I know what a skew can do, I've seen it done but I also know my personal capabilities and limitations.

As I mentioned in my OP which apparently needs repeating.
Ed Weber wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 10:18am:
There are no cuts that can be made with a skew that I can't reproduce with other turning tools that I'm more comfortable using.

and

Ed Weber wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 3:42pm:
I use spindle gouges & detail gouges, I find them much easier to control and I'm happy with my results.

This is just my personal opinion, I have been using hand tools of all types in numerous disciplines daily for over 35 years. I am well adept at knowing what will and what will not work well in my hands. I know when I'm comfortable
My original post was mostly "tongue-in-cheek" I really don't care what anyone uses, so long as they use it safely and it provides the results they're trying to achieve.
This applies to all tools
I think I will start a thread about tool comfort, thanks Steve

IP Logged

Steve Jones
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Wadkin
Reply #24 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:42am

Appreciate your views but I find the Skew the most comfortable tool and easiest tool for most things. I’m sorry if I missed the tongue in cheek but it was such a bold statement and  I felt saddened that the most versatile and efficient tool is becoming feared,  but I suppose that’s come from the decline in professional woodturning and the massive increase in woodturning as a hobby, which is actually keeping the craft alive.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #25 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 12:29pm

Steve Jones wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:42am:
I felt saddened that the most versatile and efficient tool is becoming feared

Well versatile and efficient is an apt description but still your opinion.
As far a feared, I'm not afraid of the skew, I just don't like it.

In all seriousness, I have tried the skew in the past and I'm sure I will try it again in the future. As for now, I simply don't have a 'need' for the skew, I suppose that could change though I don't see how.
Everyone is different and approaches their craft or hobby in their own way. I don't consider any method to be right or wrong, just not how I do it in my shop. Cheesy
I'm sure we were both taught in different ways which has led us to where we are now. I am self taught without any formal instruction to turning tools.
This means I developed my own bad habits, not inherited someone else s  Roll Eyes
Most turning tools are second nature to me, other than the skew and scrapers, I just don't care for them and they don't have the right "feel" to me. I think of it as no different than proffering one grind over another it's all individual preference.

IP Logged

Steve Jones
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Wadkin
Reply #26 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 12:48pm

I understand Ed and I agree there is no right or wrong way. I use it because it’s impossible to turn as efficiently with any other tool.

IP Logged

Rick Caron

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #27 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 10:44am

I only use one as a NRS.   35 degree grind both sides.    Remember what side the burr is on.

IP Logged

David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

LAGUNA REVO 15X24
CONOVER 15 x Infinity
Long gone: Shopsmith, Myford ML8, Homebuilt bowl lathe, NOVA benchtop, Delta 46-715 and a Unimat.

Reply #28 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:23pm

I have spent 40 yrs trying to learn the skew and finally have come to see, IMHO, the issue. Skew is the first lathe tool and has evolved into gouges, etc thru time. It is the origin and a relic. And, like parting tools or bowl gouges, a specialty tool. It is the least forgiving tool on my stand. Keep all your chisels sharp and use them in the way that works for you. Thumbs Up

Everyone has 1 redeeming feature: they're biodegradable

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #29 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 6:54pm

This forum's Woodturning Videos section has a link to a very informative and impressive video by Steve Jones featuring, wait for it, THE SKEW.  For years I was afraid of it, but in the last couple years I've become more comfortable with it, and find it is extremely versatile.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print