Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
The Skew
Nov 10th, 2017 at 10:18am

This topic was somewhat started in another recent thread. I had some thoughts on it and decided to give it it's own.

IMO
Thousands of years ago, the skew was the very first woodturning chisel made. A simple flat chisel plunged into spinning wood and woodturning was born.
Soon after it's invention (the next day) they started to improve upon it and have been trying ever since. This tool has remained pretty much unchanged for thousands of years. and as a result hasn't gotten any better in all that time. So why do people still try to convince me it's great?  I know some people can use it with skill and ease but it's simply not my forte. Stop trying to convince me that I need learn to "learn the skew", no I don't, let it go.

There are no cuts that can be made with a skew that I can't reproduce with other turning tools that I'm more comfortable using. I don't ever find myself saying "I wish I was better at the skew" it doesn't happen. I don't own any skews, just a unusually high number of NRS's  Lips Sealed

Final Thoughts,
The skew isn't some underdog that needs to be championed, it's a relic. Give it it's proper place in history and celebrate it, (preferably at a museum in a glass covered display case)

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: The Skew
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 10:51am

In that other thread, the idea of using it as a door jamb has alot of merit!! Smiley Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Bob Mezzatesta

WR Rocks!

McDonald's corners, Ontario, Canada
McDonald's corners
Ontario
Canada

Delta 1460 w/1hp 3ph &Vfd
Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 12:46pm

I've heard it referred to as the Devils can opener. I'm sure one day I will learn to use it properly.

Member Valley Woodturners Ottawa
Member AAW

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 1:03pm

Smiley

I look forward to your video on turning a pommel with a NRS.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 3:39pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 10:51am:
In that other thread, the idea of using it as a door jamb has alot of merit!! Smiley Smiley

Agreed

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 3:42pm

Mike Mills wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 1:03pm:
I look forward to your video on turning a pommel with a NRS.

I use spindle gouges & detail gouges, I find them much easier to control and I'm happy with my results.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 4:05pm

I still use it for making V;s or cleaning up beads other things in vases and other work like that.  I used it for a few years to master it and felt at the end even when I was good with it I did not need to use it what the intent was for.

It still cleans up in straight cuts for spindle turning but that is all I use it for.  I teach the vets how it was used but mostly how it can be used to enhance other cuts to clean up beads or other things like that.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 5:08pm

Arlin Eastman wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 4:05pm:
I teach the vets how it was used but mostly how it can be used to enhance other cuts to clean up beads or other things like that.

Or it can be used as a door stop, or coat hook or...  Grin

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 5:20pm

I like it with a convex grind...much easier to use, IMHO.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 6:20pm

Jeff Vanden Boogart wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 5:20pm:
I like it with a convex grind...much easier to use, IMHO.

They are much less "grabby" that way, less of a tendency to lift the grain and splinter.
JMO as well

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 10:10pm

Like other contemporary beginners, I began turning with carbides and admittedly felt somewhat 'less than' because I didn't use traditional tools...let alone the dreaded skew.  Speaking specifically to the skew, I had precious little reason to learn it as I don't do spindle work and therefore had no purpose.  Eventually I began the slow migration from carbide to traditional tools still eschewing the skew (see what I did there?).

Then someone shared with me a video of the first turner I saw making small Christmas trees and thought to myself, now I finally have a reason to learn the skew.  First I tried all of those other tools I already felt comfortable with and noted the difficulty I had with achieving a clean finish.  Enter the skew.

First the old small skews that came with the cheap Craftsman set I purchased.  Yikes...catches galore as those small blades caught edge after edge.  Enter the Alan Lacer Skew.  I readily admit, I felt a tinge of glee once I figured out the optimal geometry of blade height and the angle with which to present the tool.  Better and better I became until I was able to resurrect the small Craftsman for more precision work.

But what's the point of all this relative to Ed's post?  Not much really.  I think I allowed myself to feel less of a turner initially as I saw others be critical of carbides and gloat that real turners use gouges and skews.  In the end, however, neither the wood or my customers care what tool I used.  Am I glad I learned to use the skew?  Yes...but for different reasons.  At first, I took up the challenge out of stubbornness.  Now, however, I simply enjoy the skew as a different type of turning from my bowl work.

Finally...for what it's worth, I find the semi-rounded edge less prone to catching.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #11 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 7:24am

I own 7 different skews and use them all ranging in size from 1/4" to 1-1/2". The only tool I use more is a bowl gouge which I sometimes use like a skew when I cut on its side edge.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 8:42am

Ron Sardo wrote on Nov 11th, 2017 at 7:24am:
I own 7 different skews and use them all ranging in size from 1/4" to 1-1/2". The only tool I use more is a bowl gouge which I sometimes use like a skew when I cut on its side edge.

As once famously said Ron...'this one is strong with the force'.

Seriously though...question for context, what type of work do you do?

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #13 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 10:43am

Even if you gave up trying to use a skew, they work well as a negative rake scraper and for m the dovetail on a chuck mortise well

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 12:11pm

Al Wasser wrote on Nov 11th, 2017 at 10:43am:
Even if you gave up trying to use a skew, they work well as a negative rake scraper and for m the dovetail on a chuck mortise well

Isn't that what they were designed for  Roll Eyes

When I was teaching myself to turn, I tried the skew with limited success. I had a BB rectangular shaft skew and a cast iron tool rest. With the constant dig in's into the tool rest I was unable to smoothly operate the tool. Between the learning curve of catches and having to dress my toolrest regularly to repair the dents, I quickly came to the conclusion that there must be a better way for me to go about this. I started using spindle gouges and had an immediate improvement, once I settled on a grind I liked, there was even more.
Every once in a great while I'll pull out a skew, excuse me NRS, and try a few cuts. Even if/when I get the results I'm after, I still don't yet have the comfort level I do using gouges, so back in the drawer it goes. I'm sure someday I' get to that comfort level but it may take a long while, since I only use it for 15 minutes every two years.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print