Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jet 1642 rebuild project (Read 166 times)

Tom Ferone
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Raleigh
North Carolina
USA

Jet 1642evs
Jet 1642 rebuild project
Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:45pm

Here on some before and current pics of my new project. This lathe was well loved with lots of green wood. It was built in 2008. The vfd is not working, but the new one came with it. I am doing a full gut/strip rebuild on it. I have ordered misc missing hardware, new labels and new bearings.The bed was some very deep scratches I won't try to remove. Any good tips on refinishing the bed? I am getting the lathe powder coated and will then start the reassembly. I am adding a anti rotation screw to the tail stock. I see lots of new lathes come with them.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:49pm by Tom Ferone »  

Tom F.
WWW https://www.facebook.com/tom.ferone?ref=bookmarks  
IP Logged

Glenn Matthies

WR Rocks!

Lockport, NY, New York, USA
Lockport, NY
New York
USA

Jet 1642 EVS 2 hp
Re: Jet 1642 rebuild project
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 7:36am

I love my 1642. It does everything I ask it to.  I have no special tips or tricks as far as refurbishing a lathe but wish you the best of luck.  Please continue to post pictures of the progress.  I would love to see how this turns out. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 9:26am

Tom Ferone wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:45pm:
This lathe was well loved with lots of green wood.

It may have been loved but it was never cleaned. It looks like you found it at the bottom of the ocean. While I'm not OCD about cleaning my tools, that's just plain neglect.
Good to see you giving it some needed TLC

For heavily rusted areas, I use Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
For light surface rust, a piece or wet/dry 400 grit and higher paper with a piece of mdf for a good flat backing block. I do try to clean each rail individually as needed but a final sanding of both at the same time for smooth travel of the head and tail.
I use T-9 to protect

IP Logged

Tom Ferone
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Raleigh
North Carolina
USA

Jet 1642evs
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 2:54pm

Quote:
For heavily rusted areas, I use Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
For light surface rust, a piece or wet/dry 400 grit and higher paper with a piece of mdf for a good flat backing block. I do try to clean each rail individually as needed but a final sanding of both at the same time for smooth travel of the head and tail.
I use T-9 to protect

The top is more stained and scratched then rusted. I do like Rust Free though. The mdf is a good idea, but I think I might need to start a bit lower the 400. I won't start the bed until after I get it powder coated (not the top LOL).
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2017 at 2:54pm by Tom Ferone »  

Tom F.
WWW https://www.facebook.com/tom.ferone?ref=bookmarks  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print