Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Laser engraving for bowls (Read 1,911 times)

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Laser engraving for bowls
Nov 16th, 2017 at 12:12pm

Has anyone had any experience with using a laser on bowls? I think the flat bottom might be a good target but I am thinking about finding some way to apply a laser to the sides.
Thanks

IP Logged

Frank Padden

WR Rocks!

Hudson, Massachusetts, USA
Hudson
Massachusetts
USA

Nova 16"
Re: Laser engraving for bowls
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 7:13pm

I have all my bowls laser engraved. I've only tried it on the bottom, but I can ask if it can be done on the sides.

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 7:22pm

Frank,
Thank you. I am thinking about putting designs on the sides. Lots more complicated I know. Just wonder if it can be done.

IP Logged

Jennifer Hasan

WR Rocks!

Beacon, ny, New York, USA
Beacon, ny
New York
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 4:18pm

I would really like to know if anyone has any suggestions.

Lots of folks engrave flat items but I would love to be able to engrave round items.

Jenn

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 11:19pm

You would need an laser engraver with a rotary axis.  look it up on youtube to see examples but i bet they are not cheap.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Frank Padden

WR Rocks!

Hudson, Massachusetts, USA
Hudson
Massachusetts
USA

Nova 16"
Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 8:21pm

Bruce, i talked to my engraver about laser engraving on the side of a bowl. He said it can be done but it's difficult to do. You have to start off with photo-ready artwork for your design.The circumference of the bowl is a major factor. I guess there's not many people who will do it. I hope this helps.

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 11:20am

Thank you for checking Frank.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #7 - Dec 17th, 2017 at 7:31pm

Bruce

I have been looking at handheld lasers lately and they go from $60 to $250 but all of them cut at least 1/8" and some up to 5/8".  If everyone would like a link I will try and find where I put it.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 10:16am

Several yrs ago I turned a baseball bat for a grandson.  I had it engraved with his name, etc.  I don't know what tool the guy used but it looked great and the letters were not cut deep.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Reply #9 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 10:42am

What tools does one use / suggest for this?

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #10 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 12:58pm

This might work:

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ben Goeller

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 12:42pm

This just arrived yesterday so I haven’t had much chance to play with this new toy.  It’s been my intention to find some good way of putting my logo on the bottom of my basket illusions. I figured I would give laser engraving a try and found something I think will work very well.
On most  lasers the piece being engraved moves and the laser stays stationary.  Because I wanted to engrave directly onto my baskets I knew that wouldn’t  work so I found this little gem. The laser moves independently  and since there is no bottom , with a  little imagination on how to position the piece to engrave, just about anything is possible.
First - It’s very inexpensive, I got this 1500w one for only $89. Only after I had already ordered it did I see that they had another  2000w that was only $109. If I had noticed it I defiantly would have got with the most powerful.
Second- It was very simple to set up and use. Like I said I just got it yesterday and only first started playing with it this morning and within ½ hour I was engraving my first piece.
However- It’s extremely SLOW!! But if you just set it up and push start I guess it really doesn’t matter how long it takes right.
If you look at the pictures I provided you can see the  some of the first pieces I was playing around with. The real dark BDG is 100 percent settings. The lighter BDG was lasered on paint and not as dark, but it can always be lasered again as long as you don’t move anything, and make it darker. I was reading some of the posts on this site and noticed people asking if something could be lasered onto the “side” of a bowl. I didn’t have a big bowl laying around but I did have a shallow  one that I didn’t mind practicing on and that’s the brown bowl with a BDG engraved onto the side.
Also from reading the directions if you are extremely careful and patient you can move the laser from the beginning spot of your design to the end of your design and make a continues laser design if you were so inclined.

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #12 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 5:23pm

Where did you get it and whats the max size area it can engrave?  I picked up one for doing pens were the laser moves side to side and the bed moves forward and backward.  I make 2 inch disks out of the same type wood and cut a recess in the bottom to glue the disks into.  This one would cutout that step.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Ben Goeller

WR Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 6:00pm

chris lawrence wrote on Jan 30th, 2018 at 5:23pm:
Where did you get it and whats the max size area it can engrave?

I got at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register . I have noticed the prices change quite often. I got mine on sale at $89 and the 2000w was $109 but last time I checked in it was $99 and $129. The area for engraving is up to 3 inches give or take.

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 10:17am

Ben, from my experience with lasers in a machine shop, the distance between the laser and the work will be your biggest issue.  Small designs on the side of a larger diameter bowl should go nicely.  The more you go "off the side" of something round, the more the distance will change and the more the shape of the laser spot will change and distort.  Like chris said, a rotary axis would be the ideal set-up.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print