Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
standard new guy question about chisels (Read 399 times)

John Beckett
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

King Industrial 12x18 variable
standard new guy question about chisels
Nov 19th, 2017 at 11:36pm

I am currently on count down to the arrival and ability to use my first lathe.
Over the years I have read alot about turning, and the only thing I have been able to figure out about the chisels is a bowl gouge should be part of the first set.    Thing is I know I need more than that, and some advice on what other ones I should start out with would be apreciated
Thanks for the advice .

IP Logged

Luke Owens
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Nova 1624-44
Re: standard new guy question about chisels
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 12:44am

It completely depends on what you're doing. Like for me i turn bowl so all i really need is a bowl gouge to shape and a skew chisel to make the tenon. If you are a spindle turner you can look into spindle gouges roughing gouges parting tools ECT. In my opinon the tools you absolutely should have is a bowl gouge, skew chisel, and round nosed scraper. Definitely look into what you are going to be making and go from there.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 10:03am

Luke Owens wrote on Nov 20th, 2017 at 12:44am:
It completely depends on what you're doing.

+1

IMO, A set of "basic" tools probably won't go to waste.
bowl gouge
parting tool
roughing gouge
spindle gouge
scraper
skew
You can always expand to any number and style of specialty tools, depending on where your turning takes you.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 10:21am

Except for that skew! Shocked Shocked

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 10:45am

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Nov 20th, 2017 at 10:21am:
Except for that skew! Shocked Shocked

I try not to let my personal bias show in my responses.  Grin

If you want to know more about the skew and some of it's alternative uses, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 7:50pm

John

Congrats on the new toy and welcome to the forum.  This is an extremely knowledgeable and helpful group of people.

Perhaps even before buying any tools you might want to get an intro into the types of projects one can make on a lathe.  For that (everyone here is awaiting my saying his name again) I highly recommend the Turning Projects book and video combination by Richard Raffan.  My copy of this video is a VCR tape and I was watching it again Saturday and Sunday.  I have found all of his book and video combinations to be excellent learning and reference materials I return to often.  You will also get some good recommendations for materials from some of the other well known turners - my favorite happens to be R Raffan.

My second recommendation is to look for a turning group in your area.  Almost always they are a group of people who still remember the challenge of beginning woodturning and are eager and willing to share experience, mentor, and perhaps provide an opportunity to try some different tools for a few minutes before any purchases.

Finally on this web site in the resource section there is an extensive collection of videos that have been previewed so that there are not any showing unsafe practices or poor technique.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 12:35pm

If you do not have one already, you need to get a sharpening system. Gouges get dull very quickly.

Welcome to the club, and do not be afraid to ask questions.

Glenn J.

IP Logged

John Beckett
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 10:49pm

Glenn Jacobs wrote on Nov 21st, 2017 at 12:35pm:
If you do not have one already, you need to get a sharpening system. Gouges get dull very quickly.

Welcome to the club, and do not be afraid to ask questions.

Glenn J.

Was looking into sharpening system today.   the lathe I am getting is a xmas gift,.
Will be ordering  the chisels at the end of the week along with some stones for my grinder.
the  sharpening system will likely be something i get at a later date though.  all the above plus a face shield  and I think i have thought of everything.   Now I just have to wait till xmas.   33 sleeps to go Cheesy Grin

also Do Stephen thanks for the  info  as for  groups around where I live I fear they are highly unlikely, as I live in a very rural area.  I am keeping my ears open for anyone else in the area who may be into wood turning though
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2017 at 10:55pm by John Beckett »  

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 9:13am

John Beckett wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 10:49pm:
the  sharpening system will likely be something i get at a later date though

There are several very good jigs used for sharpening and they reproduce excellent and repeatable edges.  The downside is they can be a bit pricey for someone just starting out with 'wide eyes' of other turning tools in mind.  You may want to consider 'platform' sharpening.  You can either purchase a relatively inexpensive version from someone like Robo Hippy or fashion your own (see YouTube).  Perhaps not as precise as the jigs, but it's a less expensive way to start and the mechanics of sharpening mimic many of the same turning techniques so there's a muscle memory learning curve acquired as well.

Relative to tools.  I'm also in the camp of letting the work determine the tool as opposed to purchasing tools looking for a job.  Many of us, including myself, have a very good tool gathering dust that is rarely touched and then look longingly at a tool we could genuinely use but have to wait for the budget gods to authorize.  You're also going to be inundated with a lot of information on quality of tooling...everything from the low-grade up to the top of the line Thompson and D-Way tools.  While everyone has their own opinions and preferences, and rightfully so, I'm in the purchase 'decent' tool category for starters.  First and foremost, affordability while you're figuring out your own likes, dislikes, etc.  But secondly, as you will have to sharpen them more frequently you'll become better and better at the sharpening process itself...wasting less and less steel at the grinder.  By the time you're good at sharpening, you'll probably have figured out both your long-term interests and ready for the better tooling.

If possible...find a local club to mentor into and if not, watch any of the million or so YouTube videos to learn from.  Good luck, enjoy, and safe turning...John

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 11:28am

Club members are all over the place. You can probably find some one within fairly easy driving distance if you can contact the nearest club. Well, maybe if you are in the plains of North Dakota you might be a bit out of the way.... You never know when you, or some one else may be traveling.

robo hippy

IP Logged

John Beckett
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 7:31pm

robo_hippy wrote on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 11:28am:
Club members are all over the place. You can probably find some one within fairly easy driving distance if you can contact the nearest club. Well, maybe if you are in the plains of North Dakota you might be a bit out of the way.... You never know when you, or some one else may be traveling.

robo hippy

i do not live in the plains of north Dakota, but I am there northern neighbor living in the  prairies of Manitoba

IP Logged

Mike Nathal
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 10:04am

When I first started I used pretty much just one tool:  an Oland tool.  Mine was home-made but you could buy a "straight hollowing tool"  from several sources, such as Trent Bosch or John Jordan.  Once I joined a club, I was introduced to bowl and spindle gouges and my turned surfaces are getting smoother all the time.  But the Oland tool is remarkably versatile and practically immune to catches.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 11:56am

John Beckett wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 10:49pm:
Will be ordering  the chisels at the end of the week along with some stones for my grinder.
the  sharpening system will likely be something i get at a later date though.

While I'm not trying to discourage you in any way, you need to be able to sharpen your tools. How you go about it is up to you, whether that's platform/freehand or a sharpening system.
Working with dull tools can be dangerous and will not give you the end result you can get from properly sharpened tools. Getting started in turning takes a little patience and some practice.

IP Logged

Len Mullin

WR Rocks!

Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada
Miramichi
New Brunswick
Canada

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 12:03am

John, closely behind the lathe,your sharpening system is one of the more important tools to own. You should already have one, before you start turning your first piece of wood. Most turning tools come needing to be sharpened, before you start using them. And they will need to be sharpened, quite often during one turning task. So leaving a sharpening system purchase until later, is not the way I would go.
And for tools to purchase when first starting out, buying a set of basic tools is the way to go. There's different reason for feeling this way, one of which is that they are good tools to learn sharpening on. It would be far better to ruin a cheap tool while sharpening it, then to ruin an expensive one. Plus, you more then likely will find a use for each of these cheap tools eventually.
Len

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #14 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 7:58pm

John, outside of Winnipeg, I don't think there is much in Manitoba. Flattest part of North America I have ever seen.... You can have the winters there.... Why does every one have a short electric cord hanging out the front of their cars.... Oh, 40 below zero isn't cold..... As a friend who used to live there said, 'only two seasons, winter and construction!'

robo hippy

IP Logged

Rick Caron
WR Supporter

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #15 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:36pm

If you can't sharpen you can't  turn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print