WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

How to Find Turners?
Nov 24th, 2017 at 9:05am

Other turners can be a valuable resource, especially for new turners but also for those looking for new ideas or struggling with a particular tool or procedure.

I am very fortunate that Greater Cincinnati has a very active woodturning group, the Ohio Valley Woodturners Guild, offering professional demonstrations and classes, workshops by members, and a well developed Learning Center with multiple lathes and tools. I can't remember how I learned of it four or five years ago, but I consider myself lucky to have such an effective local educational and support organization.

People who live in or near larger urban areas often have a local turning group that can be found by searching the American Association of Woodturners website
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
or even searching on the internet using their community name and "woodturners."

When this fails, or someone lives in a more rural area, what tips can be used to find nearby turners? There might not be a local woodworking supplies and equipment store, or even a hardwood lumber store.

What strategies and suggestions can be offered for turners hoping to find similarly addicted (lol) persons in their area?

I don't know how effective these approaches might be, but a few come to mind. If the local high school has a woodworking program, the instructor might know of turners in the area. If there is an annual fund raising auction in the area, the organizers could be asked if anyone has donated turned items in the last year or two. And organizers of local arts and crafts shows, and county fairs, can be queried for people who have exhibited turned items.

As I am not the most imaginative person on the forum, no doubt there are a number of other approaches that could be used. Please add your ideas and highlight any you have used successfully.
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2017 at 9:07am by Don Stephan »  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Re: How to Find Turners?
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 10:28am

If you visit small local craft shows, many times there will be a local turner.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Re: How to Find Turners?
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 9:43pm

One of the sites I'm on (International Association of Pen Turners:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register ) has a member's map.  Members volunteer, if they choose, to have their names and locations added to the map.  Helps you find others near you.

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print