Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Spray lacguer problems (Read 1,462 times)

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Spray lacguer problems
Nov 24th, 2017 at 9:49pm

Anyone having issues with spray lacquer drying to fast and leaving you with orange peel? It's dry in my shop right now and I just can't get a finish. I don't know if that's the problem but I have sprayed a lot of mills with no problems.
Finishing two mills and have re-sanded them two times and I have used all the popular lacquers with no joy.

Thanks in advance, Lee                Angry

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Spray lacguer problems
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 8:47am

Are you using a spray gun or aerosol cans?  If the former, have you changed brands of lacquer and/or thinner?  With either option, have you tried spraying thinner coats?  When I used to spray water borne finishes on furniture, orange peel resulted from too thick a coat.

When used on kitchen cabinets and chairs, nitrocellulose lacquer over time was softened by the oil in human skin, and then held dirt and looked dingy.  There was no way to wash off the dark grimy look because it was in the now sticky finish.
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2017 at 8:47am by Don Stephan »  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 10:26am

Orange peel is "usually caused" by the lacquer being too thick. Since you're using a spray can, IMO the next likely cause would be spraying too heavy of a coat.
I would use a test piece and try different rates of spray. Don't linger in any one area and keep the spray even and moving.
Also always make sure your piece is clean (oil free) and at the proper temperature.
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2017 at 10:27am by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 11:44pm

I'll give that all a try. I have sprayed rattle can lacquer a lot and works well but it's drying too fast. I spray thin and its like sandpaper. I heavy it up to flow and it's too much. This summer it worked well as it was humid and didn't dry so fast.
Thinking of polly for now.

IP Logged

anthony liberati
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

newtown square pa, USA
newtown square pa
USA

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 6:27am

When using Lacquer rattle cans I have always had a better finish if I use a coat of Clear shellac to seal it with a very light sanding before lacquer finish

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 3:04pm

anthony liberati wrote on Nov 26th, 2017 at 6:27am:
When using Lacquer rattle cans I have always had a better finish if I use a coat of Clear shellac to seal it with a very light sanding before lacquer finish

Many people use that method,
IMO
When using Lacquer, I prefer to use lacquer sanding sealer.
Although just about anything will adhere to a shellac base, when using multiple products for a finish, I find it best to keep as much in the same family as possible.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

anthony liberati
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

newtown square pa, USA
newtown square pa
USA

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 7:21am

Ed Weber wrote on Nov 26th, 2017 at 3:04pm:

The good thing about Shellac.You could put any finish you want on top of it. It is a true sealer for anything
IMO
Although just about anything will adhere to a shellac base, when using multiple products for a finish, I find it best to keep as much in the same family as possible.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Ed Weber wrote on Nov 26th, 2017 at 3:04pm:

IMO

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 11:29am

I'm not sure what you are trying to say with you post Anthony.
Here are a few reasons why I have my position on shellac under lacquer.
Shellac has many great qualities as a sealer of blocker but it also has negative qualities as well.
Many times people use lacquer for it's clarity, using shellac as a base coat can defeat the purpose. The clearest shellac (blondest) will still color or darken the wood.
Shellac SS can be more difficult to sand than lacquer SS and can also at times ball up or corn during sanding causing scratches.
If you're finishing new wood (not refinishing) you usually don't need a sealer, there are exceptions like oily species, knots ,etc.
While shellac and lacquer are similar in the way each successive coat partially disolves into the previous, I prefer a lacquer to lacquer bond vs. a lacquer to shellac bond.

If anyone is interested in more information about shellac as a sealer, here is IMO a good article by Bob Flexner.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
anthony liberati
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

newtown square pa, USA
newtown square pa
USA

Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 4:06pm

What I am trying to say is .I do not use Shellac sand and seal I use a lot of exotic oily wood .And pop the grain with BLO.i can not wait for the BLO to cure fully it takes to long Try sealing it with lacquer rattle Can .I am happy with over 200 pieces of work using this methodIf you have success with your finish Do it.That is what I am trying to say Ed Weber wrote on Nov 27th, 2017 at 11:29am:
I'm not sure what you are trying to say with you post Anthony.
Here are a few reasons why I have my position on shellac under lacquer.
Shellac has many great qualities as a sealer of blocker but it also has negative qualities as well.
Many times people use lacquer for it's clarity, using shellac as a base coat can defeat the purpose. The clearest shellac (blondest) will still color or darken the wood.
Shellac SS can be more difficult to sand than lacquer SS and can also at times ball up or corn during sanding causing scratches.
If you're finishing new wood (not refinishing) you usually don't need a sealer, there are exceptions like oily species, knots ,etc.
While shellac and lacquer are similar in the way each successive coat partially disolves into the previous, I prefer a lacquer to lacquer bond vs. a lacquer to shellac bond.

If anyone is interested in more information about shellac as a sealer, here is IMO a good article by Bob Flexner.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 5:22pm

anthony liberati wrote on Nov 29th, 2017 at 4:06pm:
What I am trying to say is .I do not use Shellac sand and seal I use a lot of exotic oily wood .And pop the grain with BLO.i can not wait for the BLO to cure fully it takes to long Try sealing it with lacquer rattle Can .I am happy with over 200 pieces of work using this methodIf you have success with your finish Do it.That is what I am trying to say

I suppose I could have misunderstood your previous post where you simply cut and pasted my comments or the post before that where you said

Again, maybe I'm missing something here but,
The two statements directly contradict each other, so I still don't know what method you use or why.

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 10:49pm

Ed, Maybe a dumb question but will lacquer sealer say it's for lacquer. I have "sanding sealer".
Another Question: Any problems with poly over CA? The other day I sanded lacquer off a mill and changed over to rattle can poly and an area had a reaction. It may have been some left over lacquer.
                                        Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #11 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 9:34am

Lacquer will say Lacquer sanding sealer, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
You should be able to get it where ever you buy your lacquer.
"From the Manufacturer

Lacquer sanding sealer spray is 100-percent nitrocellulose interior sealer used as a first coat on any lacquer finishing project. Fast 30-minute dry and ready to sand in 1 hour. Extremely easy to sand. Blocks most stains from weeping through final finish coat. The first coat of finish has a tendency to harden upright wood fibers. This causes the surface to feel rough. Sanding cures this rough feel. Sanding after the first coat of finish can be laborious. This lacquer sanding sealer is formulated to work best as a first coat, it is easy to sand, and speeds up finishing because it dries fast. One coat will seal hard wood, soft wood, plywood, particleboard and mdf. It is non-toxic when dry. Available in convenient 12-ounce aerosol spray with an adjustable spray valve.

"Lee Watermann wrote on Nov 29th, 2017 at 10:49pm:
Any problems with poly over CA?

I haven't heard of anyone having problems with poly over CA, maybe other have more information about it. (I try not to use much CA)

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 9:33pm

Thanks, Ed. Where are you getting it?

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 9:53pm

I usually pick it up at Lowes or Walmart, tons of places carry it. It is available in spray (rattle can) or brush-on depending on what you need.

IP Logged

Steve Bistritz
WR Addict

Harrington Park, New Jersey, USA
Harrington Park
New Jersey
USA

Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:47pm

I have read in numerous places when using laquer in a rattle can this time of year put the can in warm water to warm it...it produces a better spray when warm. I havent had the opportunity to try it yet myself

found it!  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   around 1:12
but a good video all round
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:47pm by Steve Bistritz »  

So many interests,so little time.........

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print