Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Crack filling (Read 366 times)

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Crack filling
Nov 30th, 2017 at 12:47pm

I have been turning a fair amount of old, dried white oak. I encounter quite a few cracks/checks. It is historic wood in that it is from a 250 year old tree and the pieces produced are are going to be auctioned off for charity. This just means that i can't just discard it and start over.
I have been using CA on some smaller cracks and dyed epoxy on others. I have even used stone like malachite, coral, etc on some. I have mixed sawdust in with the glue/epoxy.
In most cases I end up with a fill that is in strict contrast to the natural wood surrounding the crack/check. My finish usually involves natural colored danish oil.
I am seeking suggestions for a filler that might blend better with the surrounding wood.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Bruce

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Re: Crack filling
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 1:54pm

Bruce,

The best results I have had is with colored two-part epoxy.

For very dark or nearly black knots that my include some inclusions of bark, I use black dyed epoxy with very good results (this is specifically knots in birch wood).  For cracks in the birch itself, I have found that mixing a small amount of gold paint in the epoxy works MUCH better than I thought (light colored wood).

I always color the epoxy AFTER I mix the two parts.

Photo below is of empty knot hole filled with some gold colored epoxy.  The amount of gold is low so that you can see "down into" the epoxy a bit. 

Hope this helps you find what you are seeking in a result  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 1:55pm

try coffee grounds in epoxy.

Glenn J.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 3:03pm

Bruce Kamp wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 12:47pm:
I am seeking suggestions for a filler that might blend better with the surrounding wood.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

For matching/blending in wood color, it is common to use sanding dust from that area mixed with you choice of adhesive filler.

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 4:50pm

I'm in the opposite camp as far as filling defects.  If it needs to be filled, it's going to be a contrast.  If I'm going to that much trouble, I want to show it off---then there are no questions about there being a concealed crack.
In the past I have used sawdust, etc.,  mixed with epoxy or CA, but grew tired of explaining the "line" or "that" mark.  Now it's just there, easier to answer questions of the process or where I got the mineral from, etc

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 5:06pm

I agree with  David. Most times you will not be able to match the wood close enough that no one  will notice. There is always something a bit "off".

If you can't hide it, show it off!!! Smiley Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 5:24pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 5:06pm:
If you can't hide it, show it off!!! Smiley Smiley

+1

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:21am

I appreciate the advice and suggestions. I generally agree with the idea of not hiding it. I do go through a fair amount of epoxy. I have used coffee grounds, colored stone, and sawdust/chips and they all have a place.
I guess I was trying to see if there was something/someway out there for that time when I would prefer to have the area blend in. I am sure I will not be able to conceal it but it would be nice sometimes to not have it so obvious.
As you can imagine the tough ones are the light areas. I don't think I have any trouble with the darker areas since most everything I use now turns dark. It's more about the light areas. Is there any technique, process, material that might help in giving me a light fill?
CA is light but it is also transparent. It also seems that when I try to mix in sawdust I get a dark line.
Thanks for info.

Bruce

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 9:07am

There are light colored dry pigments, although mine are at work and I can't remember the exact names.  There is at least one light yellow, one tan, and even a white.  Can't remember where I purchased my collection but my first guess would be an art supplies store.  Using blond dewaxed shellac, I made up a checkboard like chart, with each of the pigments listed down the left side and across the top.  The first column was the pigment by itself, and then each of the other row-column intersections was a combination of the left side and top pigment colors.  The result allows me to see the individual colors by themselves and mixed with each of the other pigments I have.

To make dark tinted epoxy fills less noticeable, I've begun mixing two or three different colors individually into small blogs of mixed epoxy, and then very lightly swirling together two at a time and placing in the defect, so as not to have a uniformly tinted epoxy fill.  This has to my mind made less obvious fills of small knotholes in black cherry, using perhaps burnt umber and raw umber.

IP Logged

George Hurlburt
WR Devotee

WR Rocks!

El Dorado, KS, Kansas, USA
El Dorado, KS
Kansas
USA

Robust, Vicmarc 175 and Nova DVR
Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:33pm

I still have some crushed Corian which I use to fill cracks, I pack it in tight with over fill and use the super glue.

George Hurlburt  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:48pm

Matching wood color is an entire avenue of it's own.
Mostly this is in the furniture repair realm. There is no end to the number of stains, dyes, pigments, powders creams, waxes and filler sticks available. If this is something you plan on doing a lot of, I would look into a furniture repair type of kit, where you can mix, match and blend until you have the correct color.
As we jokingly said earlier, if you can't hide it enhance it, it's a true statement.
good luck

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 5:38pm

All good
Advice
Thank you all

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 1:32pm

Just discovered some interesting products on Jimmy Klewes product page. He has synthetic sand and creams. Although it highlights rather than hides it is interesting.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:48pm

Bruce Kamp wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 1:32pm:
ust discovered some interesting products on Jimmy Klewes product page.

That's Jimmy Clewes,  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 10:01pm

Jmmy sells his sand for about $10/oz. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought 1.5 pounds of color synthetic sand for $2.50. It is very fine. I have tested it and it seems to have color all the way through. Going to experiment some more and will report back.
Not sure I will get what I am after as far as a match goes but may get some interesting effects.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print