Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sharpening Systems: Pros/Cons (Read 1,713 times)

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Sharpening Systems: Pros/Cons
Dec 3rd, 2017 at 3:43pm

I'm considering taking the plunge next year in a new sharpening system.  To those who either have or have explored the following, what do you consider the pros and cons of the:

Oneway?
Sharp Fast?
Tru-Grind?

They all appear to execute the grind in the same manner and am just curious as to the thoughts of those who have tried them?

THANKS...John

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Sharpening Systems: Pros/Cons
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 4:29pm

(I have the Oneway system)
IMO
The Oneway (Wolverine) system is pretty much the standard. All the systems go about the sharpening angle geometry in much the same way. I think more importantly than the system would be the use of CBN wheels. Long lasting (do they wear out?) flat, true, no dressing, all make for more consistent sharpening.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 7:56pm

As always, your best research tool might be other turners in your area that might allow you to test drive them.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 10:24am

I should also mention that IMO the Oneway system is pretty much bullet-proof.
It's built quite heavily and should withstand a lifetime of use and abuse. I've had one for 10+ years and no issues to report. The last hing I would say is that arguably being the 'most popular" unit has some benefits. Common setting for grinds among fellow turners, third party and after market products are also available (RoboRest as an example). These are a few things that come to mind. I can't speak for the other units, no first hand experience.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 7:42pm

Not trying to be an irritant, but have you watched Reed's videos on his Robo Rest?  Sometimes I'll use several tools in just a few minutes, and the Robo Rest changes platform angles in seconds.  Definitely takes some practice to sharpen freehand, but I don't hesitate to touch up an edge since it takes seconds to switch from grinding say a bowl gouge at 40 deg to a scraper at 70 deg to a "bottom feeder" bowl gouge at say 65 deg.  It is necessary to understand the desired shape of the tool tip, but the same would seem to be true of a sharpening jig - linger too long or not long enough along the edge and the shape will be less than ideal.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 7:54pm

In terms of 'market share' I would expect the Oneway to have 95% or more of the total market for sharpening set ups. Since I don't use gouge jigs, I am not sure about theirs other than they are very popular. Their platform set up is not well thought out, but I am prejudiced.... You can not leave it in one place and use the whole range of angles you need for platform sharpening. Only ones on the market that allow that are Stuart Batty's and mine. Both are designed around a protractor with the pivot point set up to be in line with the face of the wheel so you don't have to move it once it is in place. Sorby apparently had the first gouge jig. There are many variations of them out on the market...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 12:05pm

Like the other 95% of the market, I have the Oneway system. I tend to use the varigrind jig for my swept back bowl gouges and my spindle gouges. I use the platform for my spindle roughing gouge. The Oneway platform is not near as sophisticated as Robo's but his was not available when I bought my Oneway and the Oneway platform was part of the kit that included the bases and the platform. It gets the job done and doesn't require me to add to my already high cost of sharpening "stuff".
While I agree with Ed about the benefit of "common settings", I must admit to a great level of frustration with all of the "expert" opinions in how to set up the Oneway system. Ask 5 experts and get 6 opinions. I'm not talking about angles here. I am talking about how to set up the Wolverine/Varigrind to achieve those angles. The experts cannot even agree on which of the movable parts affects which of the angles of the grind. As a result, I fell in to the trap of changing settings all too often, following the opinion of yet another expert turner.
Whatever system you go with, I would strongly recommend finding one method that gets you repeatable results and stick with it. It will save you a lot of frustration and gouge length.
With respect to Don, I have tried in vain to sharpen freehand using the Oneway platform. I simply cannot get repeatable results. The Roborest would not help me in that at all, I believe, since the fault is not with the rest. It is with my lack of ability. I know that I am not at all alone in this regard.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 12:27pm

Grant Wilkinson wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 12:05pm:
While I agree with Ed about the benefit of "common settings", I must admit to a great level of frustration with all of the "expert" opinions in how to set up the Oneway system. Ask 5 experts and get 6 opinions. I'm not talking about angles here. I am talking about how to set up the Wolverine/Varigrind to achieve those angles. The experts cannot even agree on which of the movable parts affects which of the angles of the grind. As a result, I fell in to the trap of changing settings all too often, following the opinion of yet another expert turner.

That's just ONE reason I don't often offer info about grinds. I purposely ignore the "experts" mainly because I can loosen and tighten a thumbscrew with the best of them. Now I know what it does and doesn't do. As a result, I settled on what works for me, not someone else.
A little while ago, someone here asked what angle my bowl gouge was and I had to go out and measure it.

My advice would be to start with a middle of the road grind and experiment from there. It doesn't take long to figure out what does and doesn't work for you.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 7:11am

Ed Weber wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 12:27pm:
A little while ago, someone here asked what angle my bowl gouge was and I had to go out and measure it.

That was me Ed...thanks.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in...it's much appreciated.

John

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Jerry Johansen

WR Rocks!

Milan, Illinois, USA
Milan
Illinois
USA

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 11:41am

I have the One Way which stays in the same position for most of my tools.
Since I have two CBN wheels I have the Robo Rest on the other wheel. As others say, it takes only a few seconds to change angles and they are the same EVERY time. 

Hope you can consider purchasing both down the road.

IP Logged

David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

LAGUNA REVO 15X24
CONOVER 15 x Infinity
Long gone: Shopsmith, Myford ML8, Homebuilt bowl lathe, NOVA benchtop, Delta 46-715 and a Unimat.

Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 4:50pm

I've used the Wolverine system since it came out and it works  well for for me. Here's a twist to the subject. Wheel direction. I run my CBN wheels up/away from me. I have done this for yrs no matter the wheel type. For heavy grinds with a platform I grind 'down'. Opinions?

Everyone has 1 redeeming feature: they're biodegradable

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #11 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:06pm

I have the Oneway sharpening system and Robo Hippy's platform system also.  I feel they both go together very well.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:13pm

David Moeller wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 4:50pm:
Here's a twist to the subject. Wheel direction. I run my CBN wheels up/away from me. I have done this for yrs no matter the wheel type. For heavy grinds with a platform I grind 'down'. Opinions?

I've heard people who have experimented with this approach, mostly by those that use scrapers. It seems they are trying to enhance their burr or something, for myself I see no advantage.
IMO "grinding" and it's more intelligent little brother "sharpening" is the art of removing the right amount of material to leave a sharp edge. It doesn't really matter to me which way the wheel, stone or plate is moving as long as when I'm done I have the proper edge.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #13 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 1:26pm

Jimmy Clewes was the first one I ever saw who used the upside down method for sharpening his scrapers. His reasoning was that you got a sharper burr. He did not have CBN wheels at the time. Any one who uses the Tormek and other wet wheel clones generally sharpens in reverse. Do you get a better edge? Well, I don't really know. For sure the burr on the scrapers is very fine, and how fine depends on how fine the wheel grit is, as well as how long and how hard you push into the wheel. I didn't experiment much with the upside down method for my scrapers. The upside down burr does seem to be like the burr on a NRS (negative rake scraper) as in gone in seconds. The burr on right side up is far stronger, and off of a 180 grit CBN wheel is excellent for heavy roughing and shear scraping. The sharpest and most durable edge for shear scraping is one that is burnished, so hone off the grinder burr, and then use a carbide rod to burnish a burr on it. I have had good success with burnishing the grinder burr down and then back up as well. I do show that in my shear scraping video in that section on this forum.

No idea how the reverse sharpening works on gouges.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 2:34pm

robo_hippy wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 1:26pm:
The sharpest and most durable edge for shear scraping is one that is burnished, so hone off the grinder burr, and then use a carbide rod to burnish a burr on it.

A burr that comes off the grinder is an unintentional benefit of the grinding process that can be used nut doesn't last long.
A burr that is burnished (work hardened) is made purposefully, is harder and lasts much longer.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print