Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sharpening Systems: Pros/Cons (Read 1,057 times)

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Re: Sharpening Systems: Pros/Cons
Reply #15 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 5:23pm

As for how long the grinder burr lasts, I can't really remember what the burr off of a standard wheel is like. I have had CBN wheels for 10+ years, and that was about the time I started using scrapers for my roughing. With the V10, and M42HSS, the burr from a 180 grit CBN wheel is good for all of the roughing on several 12 inch bowls, and a good part of the shear scraping. With the Big Ugly tool, the burr off of a standard grinding wheel is good for about half a day of production turning on the Oregon Myrtle wood bowls. Not really sure about why, but figure that the CBN cuts differently than standard wheels, and is almost like a type of burnishing rather than just grinding and cutting. No way to back up that theory, just how it seems to me. I always figured that side ways honing on the bevels kind of did the same thing, especially with the finer grits. I need one of those 1000+ microscopes....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #16 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 6:15pm

I'm with you most of that Reed, I can't prove it but that's what It seems like to me. Undecided
I do know they cut differently
It "may" have something to do with the fact that the CBN abrasive is much more uniform than stone or friable wheels. Also a CBN wheel has a  uniform surface every time, where a friable wheel is only uniform after you dress it, then one use and it's less than flat.
The physical act of burnishing hardens the steel since you are literally realigning the molecules by pushing (smearing) them into the position you want.

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #17 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:20pm

Grant wrote: "... I would strongly recommend finding one method that gets you repeatable results and stick with it."

This triangular jig sets the angle of the varigrind,and also the length of the bar the varigrind sits on. The 3 adjustment screws control those adjustments. Works great for me.
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:28pm by Glenn Roberts »  

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #18 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 9:11am

Next question...With respects to jig set-up, do you find yourselves changing the jig much for different tools or do you prefer to just set it and forget it?

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #19 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 7:27pm

The jig is permanent, unless I decide to use a different grind for that particular tool.

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #20 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:38am

I "typically" don't change the jig all that often.
I have a preferred grind for my spindle/detail gouges and a proffered grind for my bowl gouges. I don't often stray to far from my basic grinds.
This applies the the original and the Vari-Grind 2
It's easy enough to write down the setting that did and didn't work for you or put a mark on the jig where you use most often. as well as a jig like Glenn made.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #21 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 2:22pm

Ed, I have been pondering this, "The physical act of burnishing hardens the steel since you are literally realigning the molecules by pushing (smearing) them into the position you want." I never really thought about it this way. I do know that a hammer head will harden with years of pounding to the point of becoming brittle, even had one hammer head that lost a chip into my thumb... I always thought that the burnishing was more just bending the metal edge up rather than pushing molecules around... Since I grind the burnished part off, I would guess that this is minimal, and not close to what happens to the hammer...

One interesting side point on side scrapers, I saw Nick Stagg, A Brit who lives up by Salem, OR, and he was demonstrating how to turn a lamp. He used a scraper for cleaning up face grain work that had the burr totally honed off. It cut really cleanly, which really surprised me. He was using it for finish cuts, but not roughing. I tried it on some sugar maple, and it did work really well. I have tried it for shear scraping, but still prefer the burnished burr... It does not work as well with softer woods.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #22 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 3:10pm

If you ever look up anything about sharpening cabinet scrapers (card scrapers) you will most likely hear someone say that once burnished, the edge is now work hardened.
In a way it's cold forging, you are literally extruding the metal into the shape you want by pressure and no heat.

Here is the Wikapedia entry for "work hardening"
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #23 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 5:01pm

I was trying to remember the term for it. I was thinking case hardening, but know that involves heat. Work hardening,,,,, I may remember that for a week.. Maybe... Thanks.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #24 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 5:30pm

robo_hippy wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 5:01pm:
I may remember that for a week.. Maybe...

Smiley

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #25 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 7:58pm

After seeing the trick on a Richard Raffan video, when I want to take a very fine scraper cut I will use a 600 diamond hone on both the surface and edge of the scraper, usually on the inside sides of turned lidded boxes.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #26 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:28pm

Don, that does work, more so in end grain than in bowl grain. I actually took the hone to the scraper, then took the scraper to the leather wheel on my Tormek. I could not feel any burr at all on it. I can feel a burr with hand honed 600 and 1000 grit stones.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print