WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Larger Bedan?
Dec 8th, 2017 at 4:24am

I make flutes and use various tools at times turning them. I have always been sort of partial to the bedan. Sometimes when I use my spindle gouge I am just not as good. On the skew sometimes it is great others not so and sometime it is not good at all. I use some of the Easy wood tools and they are good but I am always sort of partial to the bedan. I know it takes more practice on any tool... I have never seen a bigger one for sell ...just the usual size..3/8" Does anyone make a bigger one?If not Im sure I could make one but if I could find one withe end turned round where it would fit my 1/2"handles that would be great.I have so many projects right now I dont want to break away to make a tool and the handle...not that it takes that long.....But if I had to in the future I would...If I did make one I guess I could get some larger stock from Doug Thompson or Dave Schweitzer D-Way tools? Or does anymore ideas.????Thanks guys in advance!!!

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Larger Bedan?
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 8:20am

How about looking at this another way - what makes a bedan easier to use than another tool?

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 8:26am

For the future you may want to make your own.  WTTools (and other places) sell "bits".  The 1/2" HSS with 5% colbalt is $15 for the eight inch; it appears they are out of the standard HSS which is usually $9.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a handle with a square hole sleeve I made many years ago.  Easy to change from a bedan to 1/2" scraper or other.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:40am

Mike Turner wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 4:24am:
I have never seen a bigger one for sell ...just the usual size..3/8" Does anyone make a bigger one?

When you say bigger, I'm guessing you mean wider.
I would get a scraper the width you want and simply grind it to what ever angle you want your Bedan tool to be, now you have a wide Bedan.
No need to overthink it
JMO

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 1:07pm

I tend to think of the Bedan as a sizing tool, mostly for peeling type cuts to get a spindle, or spindle parts down to size, and then you finish turn. I am trying to figure out what you are trying to do with it for cutting. A large skew can do excellent peeling cuts, but for roughing, you just don't want much more metal than 3/8 into a spinning piece... For turning beads, I don't think a bedan would be practical... Well, other than for planing cuts where the roughing has been done and you are smoothing out tool marks.

robo hippy
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2017 at 1:08pm by robo_hippy »  
IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 4:01pm

Ed Weber wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:40am:
When you say bigger, I'm guessing you mean wider.
I would get a scraper the width you want and simply grind it to what ever angle you want your Bedan tool to be, now you have a wide Bedan.
No need to overthink it
JMO

Yep Ed. I mean wider and sort of thought about a scraper but didnt know if there was a wider bedan out there. Im just looking at what I can get the cheapest.I do use it like Robo Hippy suggests as more of a sizing tool.

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 4:06pm

robo_hippy wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 1:07pm:
I tend to think of the Bedan as a sizing tool, mostly for peeling type cuts to get a spindle, or spindle parts down to size, and then you finish turn. I am trying to figure out what you are trying to do with it for cutting. A large skew can do excellent peeling cuts, but for roughing, you just don't want much more metal than 3/8 into a spinning piece... For turning beads, I don't think a bedan would be practical... Well, other than for planing cuts where the roughing has been done and you are smoothing out tool marks.

robo hippy

Yes thats it...more in the area of sizing.I knock the corner off with several different things ...just depending on what I am wanting to use at the time.I dont put any beads on the flutes but if I did I would use something else.I love the skew but some days Im good with it then there are the other days lol where a boo boo takes a little chunk out....I know more practice !!!!
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2017 at 4:06pm by Mike Turner »  

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 7:45pm

Mike Mills wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 8:26am:
For the future you may want to make your own. WTTools (and other places) sell "bits". The 1/2" HSS with 5% colbalt is $15 for the eight inch; it appears they are out of the standard HSS which is usually $9.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a handle with a square hole sleeve I made many years ago. Easy to change from a bedan to 1/2" scraper or other.

Mike where did you get the square hole sleeve or how did you make it?

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 8:11pm

For sizing, I use a 1/8" wide diamond parting tool.  I wouldn't want a wider tool, as there are times I can only size one side of a bead because the spindle gets wider on the other side of the bead (i.e. not 1/8" of space to that side of the bead).

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:35pm

Mike, I don't know what the other Mike did for the square holes, but I have bought square and hex sleeves here:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register;  No idea on shipping cost or if they have a minimum.  I took a motorcycle ride to their facility on two occasions and spent $25 or less each time.  Small place, nice folks.  The only requirement was "stay outside until we tie the dogs up, and we come out to get you"...we'll here you ride in.  LOL  Unless you've got a machinist friend with a square broach, it's not something easily made.

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #10 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:16am

Thanks for providing that link Jeff.  It has been about 10 years and the only thing I could remember is that the company was Green-something, not a lot of help.  Even though it shows an error you can click on through at Jeff's link.  I got just the square all the way through but they also have them with one end threaded so you can use a bolt to extend further into the handle.

Mike, another alternative is to use a jacobs chuck; the 1/2" should run about $20 for a decent quality.  You can install into the handle with any length bolt you wish.  For square stock it does take some grinding (disc or belt) to reshape and 1" -1.5" on the end into a triangle to be able to chuck it up.  But then you can also chuck up any round stock so it may be more efficient in the long run.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print