WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Weeping/Sweet Cherry
Dec 8th, 2017 at 3:30pm

Earlier this fall I was asked to turn some bowls from a larger trunk.  Some time on the Internet suggested that the trunk of weeping cherries is a common sweet cherry.  The wood turned very well and I think will have nice color when sanded and finished.  However, three of the "once turned" seven bowls have long cracks completely through the tenon and bottom, and two more have short cracks at the base of their tenons, cracks that do not extend to the inside surface.

So if offered the trunk of a weeping or sweet cherry, . . .

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Re: Weeping/Sweet Cherry
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 5:37pm

Don, I feel ya on that one.I had a small piece of bradford pear do the same way for me.I wonder if the weeping cherry is like a regular fruit wood that bears fruit in that they are more prone to cracking or splitting as they dry? Thats what Ive always heard about fruit woods anyhow.Ive never had any apple , pear or any wood that bears "fruit". Just a thought..Is there any saving these pieces?

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2017 at 11:33am

Over the years I've filled a number of worm holes, small voids, and such with quick epoxy tinted with dry pigments, but there is no way to make a long straight through crack in the bottom of a bowl look natural or artistic in my opinion.  And there's little chance the two worst bowls would be appealing to the tree's owners or to shoppers even with additional pseudo-cracks carved and filled with tinted epoxy or metal powders.  (Sorry, I've never thought turquoise was an attractive filler in wood.)

To answer your question Mike, yes they can be made functional even for snacks and other food uses, but they wouldn't help pay the studio overhead.

IP Logged

Jurriaan Kalkman

just below the middle, Netherlands
just below the middle
Netherlands

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 2:46am

It's too late, but for the next time - cherry is one of those woods where I have a very good experience with boiling rough turned blanks.

Creating a 12" bowl with 1.5" thickness, about 4" high with sides just curving inwards a little in fresh cherry is impossible. But after boiling and coating it with glue, it's dried with no problems whatsoever (and less movement then I expected).

So if offered a trunk of a weeping or sweet cherry, just try it. In the words of Mike Tingey, an English woodturner living in Germany 'dont't worry, it's only firewood'.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2018 at 2:47am by Jurriaan Kalkman »  

Well, I'm a Dutchman!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print