Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stave Music boxes with segmented top rings. (Read 349 times)

George Hurlburt
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

El Dorado, KS, Kansas, USA
El Dorado, KS
Kansas
USA

Robust, Vicmarc 175 and Nova DVR
Stave Music boxes with segmented top rings.
Dec 9th, 2017 at 7:39pm

Progress is being made on the music boxes. I have 15 shells laid out that I'm working on. My photos will show what I'm doing. I cut the staves on my Elu over-under saw. My capacity is 5 1/2" the saw features a hold down clamp built into it. I will take the end cuts and use for flat segmented rings. I tape and use hose clamps to assembly. The sanding disc does the ends and some of the bases and glue blocks. You can see the setup on the lathe of gluing the shell to the base. I use a funnel and have 3 different sizes I can use.
I don't know my designs at this time. Music movements are on order. I can woodcarve, woodburn and or paint before or after I install the movements.   George Troy

George Hurlburt  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Re: Stave Music boxes with segmented top rings.
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2017 at 7:33pm

I am really looking forward to seeing more of this.  Thumbs Up

It is always the right time; To do the right thing

IP Logged

George Hurlburt
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

El Dorado, KS
Kansas
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2017 at 8:52pm

Progress too date. A ways to go yet. Overall view of prepared boxes to turn; hollow out and fit lids. Showing a couple of lids. I will put stem in a chuck, turn the circle to fit opening and turn finale. They will be different some way. I will need to figure out how I want to do the music movements. Have both battery type and mechanical.Photo shows a box with one tung oil finish on it. I have arthritis and I have torque arms on my scraper tools. They are BCT tools I got from Packard maybe ten years ago. If I need a handle I use Vice grips. On the lathe is red oak, I also have cherry. So the shells are done. First was a glue block, then base, then staves, next is a 8 segmented ring on top. Lids will vary there after. All 15 boxes were made from end cuts and scraps. Size approx. 3 12" x 4" plus finale. George Troy

George Hurlburt  
IP Logged

George Hurlburt
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

El Dorado, KS
Kansas
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 11:58am

Showing a completed Stave Music Box. Size approx. 3" x 3 1/2" my other boxes will be a little bit bigger. Instead of saying  I'm making these from wood scraps, it will now be from selected wood for each one, sounds better. Stave box body is red oak, base is walnut. Ring is cherry and top is cherry. Finale is bloodwood. Minwax Tung Oil Finish.Finales and lids will be different on the remaining 14. Music box is electronic, pop the lid and it plays. Batteries included. Photo also show a plain cherry box, and it too will accept the little yellow box shown. These are not top of the line art boxes more of a craft box. Same effort just different wood and more embellishment. However, these will be very sellable. Time wise a plain box wins hands down.

George Hurlburt  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 12:28pm

Unless my eyes are totally shot, these are not stave music boxes.
These are simply tall segment music boxes.
It doesn't make them any less attractive, it's just misleading IMO

The definition of a stave means to have the grain running vertically.

IP Logged

George Hurlburt
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

El Dorado, KS
Kansas
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 5:07pm

The staves on this little box are red oak and 1 3/4" high. 8 pcs.

George Hurlburt  
IP Logged

George Hurlburt
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

El Dorado, KS
Kansas
USA

Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 3:42pm

I now have 15 staves boxes to finish and put lids on. One I have already done has gone out the door to my daughter. I competed that one fully. Photo will show the boxes ready for further work, I use a Club woodwriter I got from Craft supplies in the mid-eighties. When the box comes off the lathe, there is a stub on the bottom, from there I use a dovetailed type saw after reducing with a series of parting tools. If that big chuck was not there to grab me, I would just catch it when I part it off. I use a couple of No 3 carving tools to take that stub down before I put the box on the cole jaws. By the way I hate that adjusting single key for the Nova G3 chuck. I wasted a lot of time over the years with it, trying to find the hole. I use Axminster cole jaws most the time. I think I will put a seal coat of Minwax Tung oil finish on them before I start fitting the lids.

George Hurlburt  
IP Logged

George Hurlburt
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

El Dorado, KS
Kansas
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 8:49am

Showing 11 Stave music boxes with lids as of this date. I'm using a recess on the bottom of the lids after a fit on the box tops. With the recess, I can remount at any time and turn or replace the finale. If the top is too large,I will take it down. I have settled on one thing I will be using a bead at the box opening to have some continuity. Thanks for looking. George Troy

George Hurlburt  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print