Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Amazon (Read 1,369 times)

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Re: Amazon
Reply #15 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 5:59pm

What is Y dollars worth? I'll say this: none of out time is worth anything unless you'r selling. All you will end up with is a LOT of turned items.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #16 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 7:04pm

Lee Watermann wrote on Dec 30th, 2017 at 5:59pm:
What is Y dollars worth? I'll say this: none of out time is worth anything unless you'r selling. All you will end up with is a LOT of turned items.

The point I was trying to make was this.
Say I put a price on my time at $50 per hour.
I then spend two hours dealing with a sales issue that saves me $20.
Those two hours cost me $80.
So now I'm $80 in the negative.
OR
If I hire someone else do the thing they're good at, selling and/or sales issues.
Lets say it cost me $60 for the same two hours while I'm working, still making my $50 per hour.
I made $100
I save $20
It cast me $60
Add it all up and it equals $60 to the positive.
It's not to hard to figure which I would choose.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #17 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:57pm

Now, all we need is a full color, 3-D printer to replicate our turnings and then watch the bucks roll in!!! Shocked Shocked Thumbs Up

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Frank Padden

WR Rocks!

Hudson, Massachusetts, USA
Hudson
Massachusetts
USA

Nova 16"
Reply #18 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 4:43pm

I wasn't aware of these rules for Etsy and Amazon. I was thinking of trying one or both.........not now. Thanks for the information.

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

Reply #19 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 4:58pm

Frank Padden wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 4:43pm:
I wasn't aware of these rules for Etsy and Amazon. I was thinking of trying one or both.........not now. Thanks for the information.

Etsy is not a bad place to sell.  The only problems i have with Etsy is many of the markets are saturated with lots of competition and being able to sell stuff as handmade they  didn't make just modify as long as they disclose it.  This allows people to buy cheap mass produced things over seas and make small changes to them and claim its handmade.  Other then that i made a handful of sales over the holidays without any issues.  On the other hand from what i am reading about amazon i will not consider selling there.  Them having control over the sale and collecting payment i have no problems with When they tell me what my time is worth by telling me my price is to high and i need to lower it that is a problem.

WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #20 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 10:52am

chris lawrence wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 4:58pm:
Them having control over the sale and collecting payment i have no problems with When they tell me what my time is worth by telling me my price is to high and i need to lower it that is a problem.

Well said

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #21 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 7:50pm

From Amazon's perspective, they aren't necessarily telling a vendor what his or her time is worth.  They are in the business of making money and have decided the best way for them to make money is to have higher turnover of items offered for sale.  There are costs associated with server storage space and access, which are more or less fixed, and their experience must be that a greater volume of sales at a lower price is more profitable.  Don't misunderstand, I think the resulting push to lower quality to lower price is horrible, but right now at least that is the nature of Amazon, Etsy, and their competitors.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #22 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 11:10am

Richard Beecher wrote on Dec 24th, 2017 at 1:52pm:
If you are turning top shelf items like pepper mills, bowls, hollow forms and using exotics or other top grade wood you should expect to see at least some decent price for your time and expense. Items like this have no real place on Amazon Handmade. Their business model is to offer cheap and fast. Period

Thanks for the review by the way.

Don Stephan wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 7:50pm:
They are in the business of making money and have decided the best way for them to make money is to have higher turnover of items offered for sale.

This is the same conversation we've had time and time again. Where and how to sell.

IMO you need to know what your item is worth, not cost, not price but what it's worth. What it's worth should partly determine where you sell it.
If you level of skill and craftsmanship is high you shouldn't be trying to compete with those who create with hot glue and Popsicle sticks. You need to know your product and where it fits into the market. How you market/sell you product is different for everyone.

IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #23 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 1:50pm

I'm fortunate in that after years of selling at weekend markets and art shows and doing both the Amazon and Etsy thing I was able to get my products into a very good retail space that so far has proven to be worth the effort. I have moved into bigger space from my initial booth and will probably expand that yet again this coming year.

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #24 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:44pm

Richard, What kind of space are you in?
Lee

IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #25 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 6:11pm

The building where the gift shops are I'd guess to be in the 8000-10k sq ft range. Within that space are spaces (booths, for lack of a better term) of varying sizes. It's very well laid out and each vendor can build shelving, cabinets and put in lighting to best display their wares.

My particular space is triangle shaped. (picture a 90/45 square). Both walls are set up with slat walls to allow for adjustable shelves and hooks. Each wall is 9' long and about 7' tall. The total usable space is about twice what I had when I first set up there. It also has lots of natural light as well. It's sufficient for my needs.

The vendor spaces run the gamut from soaps and candles to jewelry to designer clothing to paintings and photographic art work and a lot more. And of course my peppermills, cheese and cutting boards. Everything in there is handmade.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print