Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Amazon (Read 1,161 times)

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Amazon
Dec 9th, 2017 at 11:11pm

Just wondering if anyone has tried or is selling on Amazon.

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Re: Amazon
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 7:18pm

no one is  selling on Amazon? I see a lot of crafters selling
on Amazon especially jewellery people and some turners.
Are we missing the boat?

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 8:17pm

It looks interesting to me although I've not yet looked into it to see the coss.
I would be curious to hear some first hand accounts myself.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 8:47pm

My thinking of online sales like Etsy, Amazon, . . . is the lowest price sells.  No way to compare quality and other features for most shoppers.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 9:12pm

The upside s you can potentially reach a much larger shopping base. More people , more chances to sell.
It's always a balancing act no matter where you sell.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 8:50am

No question Internet sites have the potential to be seen by millions.  But how are those people comparing choices?

It's always a reality check to get a fast food sandwich, especially on,e that includes pickles and a sauce, sometimes even a slice of cheese, lift off the top bun and compare to the menu photo.  Invariably the pickles are in a pile rather than spaced out, same with the sauces.

Years ago I ordered a couple items in a catalog from a well known company selling unfinished wood trim, turning, and similar items.  The catalog photos showed crisp detailing with no chipping or tearout.  The received items needed sanding, details were inconsistent and there was chipping or tearout on every piece.

There's nothing wrong with trying to sell on the Internet, just go in with eyes wide open and understand that there will always be another seller with pretty pictures, lower quality, and likely lower prices.  And if the typical shopper is selecting primarily or only on price, sales might not meet expectations.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 9:47am

Don, I certainly agree.
I've had similar experiences as you described and have either returned the item or simply not shopped there anymore. (I suppose naively thinking that if everyone does this the problem will take care of itself)
All I can say is, if you try to sell on the internet, take quality photos, be honest and have a fair price.
That's what I look for when shopping.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 10:23am

I would add to anything that you are selling that the photos provided are OF THE ACTUAL PIECE, and not a representation of the turning...

as noted above, when purchasing over the internet QUALITY is often sacrificed.   You need to promote your QUALITY. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 8:59pm

I sell on Etsy and it's really a disappointment but it does work some. A long time between sales and there are so many on Etsy I think it's hard to be found. Probably the same with crafting on Amazon but sure would like to hear some experiences.

IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - Dec 24th, 2017 at 1:52pm

I would offer this small piece of advice if you are considering selling your wares on Amazon Handmade......Don't!!!.

I signed up right at the beginning after receiving an invitation from Amazon after apparently seeing my ETSY page with my peppermills. Initially, sales were disappointing, picked up some and then fell off.

The problems with Amazon started almost immediately and only got worse. I could write pages here about the problems but will limit it to bullet points.

1. $40 monthly fee (ETSY none)
2. 12% transaction fee for both the sale and shipping charge.
3. Amazon will exert almost total control over the sales process.

Those are just for starters. They are not above dictating what you should charge for an item. In my case I was informed that they felt my prices for my peppermills were too high for their customers. (they weren't) I was offered a few choices; a. either let them immediately lower the prices to what they felt was good for their customers, b. change the prices myself to their acceptable price point or c. not change anything and risk having them drop an item from their platform completely. Read that as comply with what we want or get out.

You have absolutely no autonomy in your sales process. None. Zero.
You can't include links back to your website.
You can't contact customers. Amazon does not let you have a customers email address.

If you are turning top shelf items like pepper mills, bowls, hollow forms and using exotics or other top grade wood you should expect to see at least some decent price for your time and expense. Items like this have no real place on Amazon Handmade. Their business model is to offer cheap and fast. Period!

Once I received their email basically mandating that I lower my prices to their 'suggested' price point I immediately ceased my relationship with them.

ETSY is everything Amazon isn't. But, while it is a place to try and sell your work it has become over saturated with crafts folks offering the same things. I've since dropped my items there as well.

I'm fortunate in that I was in the right place at the right time last year while at a weekend long art show where I had a booth with my pepper mills and cutting boards. I was approached and invited by the owners of an upscale gift shop and a high end art & crafts gallery to open up shop space in the gift shop with the option of offering select pieces in the Art Gallery. It was a no-brainer and I now have highly visible shop space for my stuff. In addition to being on the big gated golf course/McMansion communities side of town it is also one of those 'destination' places listed by the chamber of commerce. It's even a stop for tour busses.

I couldn't keep up with the Christmas shopping demand this year. I sold over 75 cutting boards and 40 mills this month alone and used up all of my dried blanks. Not a bad problem to have I suppose.

« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2017 at 4:06pm by Richard Beecher »  

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #10 - Dec 25th, 2017 at 8:20pm

Thanks for sharing that!  I’d been thinking about that, now can let that go.  Did almost go back to ebay, had done a lot with fishing lures there at one time but (a) it’s not fun anymore, and (b) rules /regs are onerous.  Etsy was appealing but I just couldn’t get over what folks will sell their stuff for (=cheap)!
I’m lucky too in terms of right place/time.  In addition to area “shows”, some friends want my projects in their stores with modest commissions. 
Also pleased to report that  referrals from happy people kept me busy before Christmas.
« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2017 at 8:24pm by David Hill »  

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 2:44pm

Thanks Richard.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #12 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 8:08pm

Richard Beecher wrote on Dec 24th, 2017 at 1:52pm:
I would offer this small piece of advice if you are considering selling your wares on Amazon Handmade......Don't!!!.

Thanks for sharing. Valuable information.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #13 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 10:29am

I think Amazon has become way too big and is well on it's way to control every internet sale to be made. It's hard to shop for virtually anything from just about any website and not be linked to Amazon.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 12:14pm

Just one mans opinion
As a consumer
I shop at at Amazon and find it convenient as well as a place I can get a good deal.
I live in a somewhat rural area and shopping for anything is not always easy.

As a seller of merchandise
While I appreciate  Richards review and personally agree with most all of it, one thing stands out.
Richard Beecher wrote on Dec 24th, 2017 at 1:52pm:
3. Amazon will exert almost total control over the sales process.

While many of us (myself included) may perceive this as a negative, this is one of the things that makes Amazon so popular. Using Amazon as your payment system is exactly what some people look for. Many times it's easier and less time consuming to pay someone to deal with the sales.
A little Devil's advocate
As an example only, I'm a woodworker not a internet sales person. My time is more likely better spent on my craft of creating wooden items to sell than dealing with how or where to sell them on the internet. If I spend an hour in the shop just about any work completed goes toward items to sell at X dollars. If i spend an hour dealing with sales issues to save Y amount of dollars, it must exceed what I lost (X) by not working on my craft.
(you should all know what your time is worth, especially if selling on the internet)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print