Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DEWALT-DW160V-8-Inch-Right-Angle Drill as Sander? (Read 233 times)

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

DEWALT-DW160V-8-Inch-Right-Angle Drill as Sander?
Dec 10th, 2017 at 7:40pm

I have one of these drills and was wondering how it would hold up as a sander. I know its a drill and not  a sander. Would the bearings last? I tried it recently with a 5" sanding disks sanding the flutes I make. I tried it on the lathe with it running..It is so much easier to get a smooth good finish.I went through to 400 grit which is good enough for these ..It saves my hands a lot. It only took about 15 min. I blew the drill out a couple of time while using it and when I was finished. Ill get something else later but want to use this for now..

One thing I know for sure,you have to watch out for the paddle switch.It isnt the safest.It's best to unplug it if you change bits etc. or make sure you are paying attention.It is so easy to hit the long paddle switch and start the drill!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Re: DEWALT-DW160V-8-Inch-Right-Angle Drill as Sander?
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 8:42pm

See our thread "Power Sanding" below.

IP Logged

Glenn Matthies

WR Rocks!

Lockport, NY, New York, USA
Lockport, NY
New York
USA

Jet 1642 EVS 2 hp
Re: DEWALT-DW160V-8-Inch-Right-Angle Drill as Sander?
Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 10:30am

I use a cheap HF right angle drill as a sander.  It works.  When it dies, I'll drop another $20 on one.  I am sure a Dewalt would work fine but that is a bit pricey IMHO.  Ultimately it will  fail.  I don't see the point of abusing a fairly expensive, quality drill when the cheep, HF one will work the same.  Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print