Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Describe a day... Part I (Read 231 times)

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Describe a day... Part I
Dec 11th, 2017 at 8:47am

Describe a day from your woodturning life that left you thinking "this was a really good day."

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Buck Nemitt
WR Addict

Lovin It

Toronto,Ohio, Ohio, USA
Toronto,Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Describe a day... Part I
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 10:19am

Mine was to most a very simple day but such a feeling of accomplishment I felt. The afternoon was to make a Rolling Pin for my wife, who’s enjoys her baking of cookies from rolling dough to adding sprinkles to finish.
I started with rough turning a basic piece of coarse,solid Cherry from a local find. This I took to 3” diameter exactly across the length of the Rolling Pin body. I wanted the handles to rotate so I drilled out my Maple handle blanks to accept an Oak dowell. I made an end cap for the dowell (s) and drilled my hole in the Pin to accept the dowell.
The handle I made to a comfortable fit for my Wife’s hand and that involved several test fits, after the first handle was made I surprised how hard it was to match up the profile for the second handle.
  I knew the rolling of the pin was going to be judged so I chucked up the pin centering on my handle holes to turn the pin once again to exact diameter of 2 3/4” to finish.
All was assembled given awhile for the glue to dry on the Oak dowells and I presented the finished Rolling Pin to my wife. A smile was given and the next day a batch of dough was made up to test my pin, all was quite well and my reward was another great batch of Sugar Cookies.
I still get a smile from that very good turning day each time I see the Rolling Pin in use.

What the heck,Give it a try---

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 2:08pm

For me this usually involves one of the following:

1) When I feel that I have "Mastered" a new technique.  To me "Mastered" means that I could teach it to an accomplished advanced turner (the most critical student and from where one gets the most feedback). Thumbs Up

2) When I "Discover" a new finishing technique.  I am always looking for a better finishing process (the steps past finish sanded and before "ready for the display").  I am about 3/4 of the way thru that after this past weekend... Cool

3) When in a production and I turn out a good number of QUALITY turnings. I am told that I am my own worst critic.  I often show my bride my work and then point out what I would do differently next time.. Huh

4) When I take that step beyond finished and make the turning into something extraordinary.  (PS - 4 out of 5 times this ends in a step the other way.. Sad)

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 5:58pm

When I sell a piece for a goodly sum, or when I have a good day at a craft fair and have a nice contribution made to my "tool fund."

It goes deeper than the money, though, it is an affirmation that I make something that is desireable to others, and an affirmation of my skills and craftsmanship and (dare I say?) artistry.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Rick Caron
WR Supporter

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 6:46pm

When i discovered something new about turning that made my day!!!    ( Like a new faster way to sand, finish, New technique  to get rid of tearout.  Anything to save time,  or when i find a cool piece of wood)... Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2017 at 6:49pm by Rick Caron »  

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 11:20am

I hope that you will forgive a somewhat long story.
I had made a small, open segmented vase and showed it to a designer/acquaintance of mine. He said that, if I could make it a lot bigger, it would be a hanging lamp simply by turning it upside down and wiring it up. I laughed that off and promptly forgot the idea.
A week later, I saw him again and he asked how the lamp was coming along. I told him he was nuts. He virtually dared me to try at least.
So, I cut out 400+ segments from a length of 2 x 4 I had lying around. I figured that, since I was going to blow this thing up anyway, I may as well use junk wood.
Well, I got it glued up in two sections - top and bottom. But my Vega bowl lathe ways were much too short to allow me to chuck this up and use tailstock support. So I made a extension from 2 x 6 scrap, bolted it on and proceeded to turn this beast.
My best day in the shop up until then was the day that I was able to glue the two sections together, having turned the inside of both halves, and turn the outside, supporting the piece with my home-made wooden bed extension.
Since it was made from 2 x 4 scrap, I didn't blow it up. Had I made it from nice wood, there is not doubt that I would still be finding segments on my basement shop floor.
The lamp idea never did take off, but it now sits on a table in my house as a vase, holding dried flowers.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 1:30pm

My FIRST really good day was the day that I came home from the store and my "guys" had moved the lathe out of storage and brought it to the shop and set it up exactly where I had marked the floor!!!

Best couple of hundred I ever spent on those guys!!

My first sale was from a month long exhibit of our turning group and I think I was one of about 5 other sales.

My stuff (only 4 pieces left now) is set up in my store and it still gives me a thrill when someone picks a piece up and loves how it feels in their hands and sets it down with w c/card next to it!! Smiley Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print