Jenny Trice

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

green turning
Dec 11th, 2017 at 7:47pm

I turned a hollowed lidded vessel today from a piece of fairly green wood (cut last summer).  I turned it to completion and the walls are about 1/4-1/2 inch. 

When can I apply finish?  Insights are appreciated.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: green turning
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 8:45pm

If the wood is still too wet for finish it likely is going to move as it dries and the fit of the lid could become a problem.

If you rough turned the wood last summer as done by Richard Raffan and allowed to dry, it might have reached equilibrium by now with ambient humidity and would be ready for finishing.

If I'm unsure if a roughed out pair is dry, I'll follow their weight for a couple weeks to see if still drying.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 8:46pm

If you are using a penetrating oil, solvent based wipe on poly type stuff, you can put it on any time. It may have some white spots and areas, but that is water coming to the surface. If you are using a surface type finish, like spray on lacquer or water based finishes, you have to wait till it is dry.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Jenny Trice

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 6:06am

Sorry I was not clear.  I took this from log to finished (no rough out).  It was about a 5 inch diameter log, cut a couple of summers ago and didn't seem too wet turning (compared to something cut recently)

I am planning to use a penetrating finish.  If leave the inside unfinished and the lid off, I am hoping that will force any remaining moisture to the inside and avoid any white spots in the finish.

I will try to capture a pic to share when I get  chance.  Thanks for your advice.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 9:30am

Jenny, I turn the majority of my work using wet wood. I turn to finish and then soak it in DNA for 24 to 48 hours.  Once I take it out of the DNA I will put it in a brown paper bag and staple it shut.  I weight it and once it quits losing weight I know it is dry and then apply my finish.  I dip it in a blend of oils. 
If you wanted to put an oil finish on it before it is dry, you probably could with no problems.  Like Reed said, I would not use a surface style finish on it until it was completely dry.

HTH,
Steve

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 7:33pm

Jenny

I usually use Shellac to seal the wood and anything can be put on top of it or just a few more coats and it looks great in itself.

It kind of depends on what you have planed for it.  Sitting around or using it or selling it or?

On the When I would say you would have to check the Moisture Content and when it gets around to 11% to 13% then it should be OK, however, I have known guys who have sealed the inside with Shellac and then finished the outside later when it was dryer.

It is always the right time; To do the right thing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print