Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Urns (Read 553 times)

robert baccus

WR Rocks!

Re: Urns
Reply #15 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 7:30pm

I've made dozens of urns and deeper vases and have licked the bottom cracking thing accidently.  Green wood end grain is a witch to fasten with screws so I went to glueblocks decades ago.  Good hard(dogwood or beech) glueblocks usually grabbed by a single screw in a Nova 2 chuck.  Rarely a tennon--use plenty of thick CA and don't be afraid of a screw chuck.  I have turned many green vases to 100+ #'s with no problem.  The glued on glueblock seems to eleminate basal cracking.  I turn green, wax the outside, dry for 3-6 months and return, finish on the lathe--they sell well.

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #16 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 12:45am

Jerry,
I have turned urns for some close friends and family, both an honor and a challenge.  To date I have used Mesquite and Sycamore, all end grain vessels.  I didn’t have a problem with either wood, although Sycamore does tend to have radial checking.  I did not remove/drill out any pith, but did use CA in any cracls I saw.  Since I did worry about cracking , I did finish the insides with 2 part epoxy.  I think for my next ones, I’ll just make snug fiiting lids.  I have done the pvc threads ufing sched 40 stuff and yes it does “stick”.l when screwed down.  The pvc was kind of a pain, so now I’ll ask if the recpients are planning to access the ashes— then I’ll use the pvc. 
For size/volume, figure 1 cubic inch  per pound.
The next one I’ll likely turn will patterned after a shotgun shell—- that friend is an avid skeet/trap shooter.

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #17 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 4:59pm

David Hill wrote on Dec 20th, 2017 at 12:45am:
Jerry,
I have turned urns ...

Jerry?? Who's Jerry?

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 12:36pm

Haha--thanks.  Goes to show you that I shouldn't be on the net while at work.

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print