Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tool rests (Read 311 times)

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Tool rests
Dec 13th, 2017 at 7:25pm

Thinking about getting a better tool rest for my Delta lathe with the cast iron rests full of nicks. Nova advertises there's as having a stainless steel rod on top but is it hardened or just SS rod? Robust advertises there's as a hardened steel rod on top, but do the angled ends of the guide part cause any problems with the fingers sliding along? Anyone have the pros and cons of these two brands or is there a better choice.? Thanks much for the help. Looking at a 6" with a 1" shank. Geo.
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2017 at 7:27pm by George Stratton »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Tool rests
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 7:34pm

I can't comment on the Nova but I've had the Robust for years and it's one of the best accessories I've ever bought.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 7:41pm

I am with Ed - ROBUST+1.  It has been quite some time since I have used any other ... in fact, it may be time to sell off my others!

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 11:24pm

Robust uses A2 hardened drill rod for their top surface. I have no idea about what Nova uses, but stainless comes in many different hardnesses. With the drill rod, you can take a file to it or a hack saw blade, and you can get some scuff marks, but no dents and dings. I think Steve Sinner (think that is his last name) makes that type of rest as well. They are kind of like variable speed, once you use them, you will never go back.

robo hippy

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 9:42am

I guess i'm set on the Robust 6" tool rest. They also make it in a "low profile" version . Any advantage to this one over the standard height??
Geo.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 9:58am

Make sure you get the right length of the post that goes into the banjo of your lathe.

I made that mistake and had to then get the one with the 6" post and sell my shorties.

Also...  most definitely go with the Robust!!!

Somehow, I managed to  get a slight nick on one and they replaced it, no problem as their site says they are ding proof....which means they stand behind their word. Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Chris Gunsolley

Bowl Turner

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Appleton
Wisconsin
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 2:41pm

George Stratton wrote on Dec 15th, 2017 at 9:42am:
I guess i'm set on the Robust 6" tool rest. They also make it in a "low profile" version . Any advantage to this one over the standard height??
Geo.

George,

The low profile version of the tool rest will allow you to get into tighter places than the standard version. For example, let's say you're hollowing a deep bowl and you'd like to reach as deep as you possibly can inside the bowl with your tool rest so that the rest is as close as possible to the wood. You will not be able to reach as far inside a deep bowl with the standard (non-low profile) version of the rest as you would be able to with the low profile version, because as you reach deep enough into the bowl with the standard version, at some point--once you move your banjo close enough--the bottom of the rest will make contact with the rim of your bowl.

To prevent this problem under such circumstances, I'd recommend the Robust low profile tool rests like many others above.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2017 at 2:43pm by Chris Gunsolley »  

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 6:25pm

Thanks to all for the help. Always best to learn from the guys that have already gone through this.
Geo.

IP Logged

Rick Caron
WR Supporter

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 9:29pm

I have about  8 rests.  Now i only use  Robust rests.  Have 2.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print