sandpaper (Read 200 times)

william trench

WR Rocks!

South Salem, USA
South Salem
USA

sandpaper
Dec 14th, 2017 at 8:55am

I haven't been turning a whole lot lately but I am working on a bunch of small projects for this gift season. I want to recommend the sandpaper I have been using for some time now. It is the gray stuff ( 5" H+L discs)  sold as Shopsmith brand at the local ACE . I can cut out four 2" discs for the H+L holders , Each 2" disc will include two holes if positioned right and the holes don't seem to have any bearing on performance.  In fact, they may help keep the paper from clogging. I just make sure that no holes disrupt the edge. I stick the velcro pad on the disc and cut them out with shop  scissors and an irregular edge doesn't matter at all. The fabric lasts a long time and the discs don't spin off. I do mostly green turning so on some pieces like burls, I have to essentially sculpt the surface smooth with even 40-60 grit and this stuff works beautifully. For hand sanding, because the paper is round I can fold it at eight places for using the edges and use almost the entire disc for 'detail' sanding. As a flat sheet , it has a stiffness that is wonderful but it also softens up with use and is very versatile. It seem a bit expensive but the amount of use I can get out of one disc is impressive. It far outlasts any other type. Get one of the 3-5 (?) sheet packs of something average like 120-150 and give it a try.  I have been a pro woodworker for 40 years and this is the best sandpaper i have ever used. My $.02.

wood turned good
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW kitchawanwood  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: sandpaper
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 12:51pm

Thanks for the heads up.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print