Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bandsaw Blade Suggestions Needed (Read 1,616 times)

Steve Arnold

WR Rocks!

Burbank, California, USA
Burbank
California
USA

Jet 1640EVS
Bandsaw Blade Suggestions Needed
Dec 15th, 2017 at 12:41pm

I have to admit that I don't know the first thing about bandsaw blades. The last couple I bought were by Timber Wolf (⅜" x 6 TPI) and purchased from Amazon and worked OK for what I used them for.

Now that the last blade I bought seems to be getting dull, I want to replace it and was wondering if there's a brand that will cut better than the Timber Wolf blades I've been using.

Thanks for any pointers you can give me.  Undecided

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Bandsaw Blade Suggestions Needed
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 12:53pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Call them, tell them what you are using the blades for and what size bandsaw they are used on and they will recommend the blade.

I've used them for years and never been disappointed

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 12:58pm

What are you cutting?
Wood species?
How thick?
Wet or Dry?
Very Basic
If you're just/only knocking off corners of blanks (this is the case for many turners) just about anything will work. A 3/8" x 6tpi should be fine for that (maybe a bit slow) and good for 3/4" stock and sheet goods (plywood). Too few teeth is more aggressive and will cut through thinker stock and green wood better/quicker but will not leave as good of a finish cut and is not recommended for 3/4" stock.
The more specific the task/s the better we can answer your question.

IP Logged

Steve Arnold

WR Rocks!

Burbank, California, USA
Burbank
California
USA

Jet 1640EVS
Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 2:48pm

Ed Weber wrote on Dec 15th, 2017 at 12:58pm:
What are you cutting?
Wood species?
How thick?
Wet or Dry?
Very Basic
If you're just/only knocking off corners of blanks (this is the case for many turners) just about anything will work. A 3/8" x 6tpi should be fine for that (maybe a bit slow) and good for 3/4" stock and sheet goods (plywood). Too few teeth is more aggressive and will cut through thinker stock and green wood better/quicker but will not leave as good of a finish cut and is not recommended for 3/4" stock.
The more specific the task/s the better we can answer your question.

Wood, no metal.

Usually maple, walnut and ash.

This can range from ¼" to 6" but normally about 3" thick.

Mostly dry woods but occasionally a wet blank.

I don't know if my answers have helped you but it sounds like the width and teeth configuration I've been using are a good choice for the kind of basic cutting I do.

IP Logged

Bill Moschler

WR Rocks!

Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Knoxville
Tennessee
USA

Nova
Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 3:29pm

The Timberwolf's are a darn good blade!

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 3:35pm

This is all open to each individuals interpretation and how they use their tools.
This is my view on the subject.

Like the table saw there is no magic blade that will cut everything equally well. There will always be a balancing act between cut quality, capacity, straightness, and so on.
Maple and Ash aren't too hard or hard on the blade either. Walnut however, can have a high amount of silica in it which can dull the blade more quickly.
Some domestics and many tropical hardwoods are like cutting metal and should be treated as such by raising the tooth count when cutting.

I am using a 1/2" x 6tpi which is better for ripping, long straight cuts. i use a 3/8" blade if I need to mike tighter radius curves.

If the thickest you cut is 3" a 6tpi blade may be a little slow but will certainly do the job. The green wood is where a 6 tpi blade will most likely want to clog up on you. 6tpi = small gullets which pack up with swarf quickly.
If you went down to a 4tpi blade you would not get as clean of a surface and most likely more blow out or fuzzies on the base of the cut as well but it would go through the 3" stock much quicker. You need to decide what factors are more important to you or simply change your blade more often between those that have a dedicated purpose. ONe for ripping, one for green wood, etc.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 8:55pm

Been using Timberwolf blades for years without disappointment.  Early on they explained there are different blade geometries that are optimal for plywood, hardwood to 1" thick, thicker hardwood, green wood, et cetera.  Call Suffolk Machinery/Timberwolf directly for their information/advice.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 10:58am

I have to say that I'm glad more people are suggesting calling the blade manufacturers fir the first hand information.
It's been my observation
Bandsaws and their blades are often misunderstood, many of these misconceptions spread over the internet like wildfire going unchallenged. This can not only result in wasted time and money but unsafe practices.
Whatever you do, please work safely

IP Logged

Steve Arnold

WR Rocks!

Burbank, California, USA
Burbank
California
USA

Jet 1640EVS
Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:26pm

Thanks for your feedback!

It sounds as if the width and TPI of the blades I've been using aren't too far off the mark for the types of basic cutting I'm doing. I'm not crazy about the idea of changing blades for specific types of cuts, I'd rather just use one blade for everything even if it's not the perfect blade for a particular cut.

If you know of a brand of blade that you think lasts longer than some of the others, I'm all ears.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:48pm

I use the Lennox Diemaster Bimetal blades. 96 inch blade is about $28 or so. I have had a couple of friends who had used the Timberwolf blades, and I convinced them to try the Lennox. They all switched. They cut longer and straighter with far less tendency to drift. Most saw shops will carry them. The bimetal blades can hit a nail and keep cutting pretty well. They can be resharpened a number of times. I take mine to a saw shop for resharpening. I use the 3 tpi 1/2 inch wide and the thicker ones, which cut 6 inch diameter circles with ease, and you can cut smaller.

Probably just as important as the blade is, having your bandsaw set up properly is crucial too. Best video I have seen on that is from Carter Bandsaw products. There are a couple of books too.

I did ask him once why he didn't use the Lennox blades and he said cost was a factor. He was surprised to find out that they could be resharpened...

robo hippy
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:51pm by robo_hippy »  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 1:36pm

Steve Arnold wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:26pm:
It sounds as if the width and TPI of the blades I've been using aren't too far off the mark for the types of basic cutting I'm doing.

That's the most important thing to consider.

JMO
I also do not care for Timberwolf saw blades, I have use a couple and was not at all satisfied with their performance.
I have also used Olson and Carter brand blades and found them to be about a 6-7 out of 10.
Currently I purchase my blades from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
The initial reason was that I could get the configuration I wanted that I could not find in pre-made off the shelf blades. I am very happy with the quality and longevity of the blades.

I agree that setting up your saw is crucial but disagree about the merits of the video linked to. Too many assertions that aren't backed up by anything.
Accurate bandsaw setup requires it's own thread (a lengthy one  Roll Eyes)

As I said earlier, it all depends on the individual, what they're cutting and their requirements. Cutting green bowl blanks and ripping dry 3/4" stock are worlds apart and con not be lumped together even though they are cut on the same saw.

IP Logged

Steve Arnold

WR Rocks!

Burbank, California, USA
Burbank
California
USA

Jet 1640EVS
Reply #11 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 2:50pm

Ed Weber wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 1:36pm:
Steve Arnold wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:26pm:
It sounds as if the width and TPI of the blades I've been using aren't too far off the mark for the types of basic cutting I'm doing.

That's the most important thing to consider.

JMO
I also do not care for Timberwolf saw blades, I have use a couple and was not at all satisfied with their performance.
I have also used Olson and Carter brand blades and found them to be about a 6-7 out of 10.
Currently I purchase my blades from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
The initial reason was that I could get the configuration I wanted that I could not find in pre-made off the shelf blades. I am very happy with the quality and longevity of the blades.

I agree that setting up your saw is crucial but disagree about the merits of the video linked to. Too many assertions that aren't backed up by anything.
Accurate bandsaw setup requires it's own thread (a lengthy one  Roll Eyes)

As I said earlier, it all depends on the individual, what they're cutting and their requirements. Cutting green bowl blanks and ripping dry 3/4" stock are worlds apart and con not be lumped together even though they are cut on the same saw.

Well, needless to say I don't know anything about setting up a bandsaw either. I followed the instructions in the manual that came with my saw as well as I could and it seems to be working OK.

My saw takes a 105" blade and not every company makes them in that length. As for your suggestion, I'm going to give sawblade.com a shot because I like that I can specify the length I need with them and the prices don't seem too bad either.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #12 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 5:33pm

If you have any saw shops locally, you can call and ask them about bandsaw blades. Any sizable town will have a saw shop. They can make them on the spot for you, or may be able to send you to some one locally. Any place that has bandsaw blades, may have a couple of different kinds and will tell you what is best for what you are cutting.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2017 at 12:54pm

I do want to be clear on this subject.
We have had 4 different recommendations on blade brand. Each person feels they have the "best" blade for themselves and very well may have.
I'm a woodworker that also turns, this means I use my bandsaw in different cutting situations than someone who only turns. As a result my blade preferences will most likely be different. I also don't have any issues or apprehension about changing a blade and tracking it for a proper cut. This usually take a matter of less than 10 minutes.  Everyone needs to decide on the own which blade or blades will work best for their own cutting needs.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #14 - Dec 17th, 2017 at 8:13pm

Very good summary Ed.  There are differing opinions on the best tablesaw, jointer, lathe, bandsaw, hand planes, and so on, so it should be expected there will varying preferences for band saw blades. 

Anyone who uses their bandsaw for cutting differing materials (plywood, dry hardwood, dry softwood, green wood, brass,  . . .) for their own benefit should work to develop a comfort and proficiency for changing the band saw blade.  I don't change mine as often as I should, so sometimes the cut is rougher than necessary, doesn't follow a smaller circumference smoothly, the blade dulls more quickly than necessary, (plywood and MDF are hard on blades), and so on.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print