Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Describe a day... Part II (Read 285 times)

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Describe a day... Part II
Dec 18th, 2017 at 8:29am

Describe a day from your woodturning life that left you thinking "this was a really bad day." We've all had them. Here's your chance to vent. Or confess. And others can commiserate, or forgive.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2017 at 10:41am by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: Describe a day... Part II
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 1:22pm

I keep thinking back... but all I can come up with are the times that i have been standing at the lathe for too long and my knees freeze up and I can hardly move back to the chair to sit. I sort of hobble and make the effort to bend the knees and sit. 

After about 10 minutes or so, i can stand up and head back to the lathe.

So far, that's the worst.... no flying pieces of wood and no blood, sooo... Smiley

Oh, wait... I just remembered the time i was making a goblet and was at the point of parting it off under the base and was almost all the way thru and somehow managed to have the tool jump and bust the base in half.

Still have the goblet and some of the stem so i might end up making another stem and base that it could fit into.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 7:33pm

I had a day where I was using a larger diameter hole saw mounted in a drill motor that got away from me ... I tried to stop it ...  Smiley

Rule 1:  Never try to stop something dangerous from falling once it leaves your hand ... Smiley

...  the slice in the palm of my right hand kept me from turning for almost 5 days...  after that I used tape and superglue to keep it closed. Smiley

Now if a tool gets away from me, I let it fall to the concrete floor.  Resharpening is easy and quick  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

George Hurlburt
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

El Dorado, KS, Kansas, USA
El Dorado, KS
Kansas
USA

Robust, Vicmarc 175 and Nova DVR
Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 8:42pm

I think a bearing when out on my Shopsmith head. I brought this machine in 1980. I gave up on my Nova cole jaws. I got tried fighting the wrench. Good thing I have backups for all.

George Hurlburt  
IP Logged

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 11:07pm

When I lived by the Turner Turnpike and some fool threw a cigarette out the window on a windy day. It caught the woods by our house on fire. The fire spread so fast, the fireman evacuate everyone in the neighborhood. I didn't have time to get much from my home, let alone any of my turning tools, wood, finishes, and I darn sure couldn't have hoisted the lathe up in my truck to save it in time.
Thank goodness they got the fire out before it reached any homes. Ours would have been the first to go. It was about 30 yards from our home. I don't care how much you clean your shop, you will live with the smell for months. It penetrates everything...that was a really bad day.

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Glenn Roberts

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 6:17pm

Can't top that, but I did make a see through bowl because I was cold, tired, and hungry .....

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print