Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CBN Wheels (Read 181 times)

George Franklin
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

CBN Wheels
Dec 18th, 2017 at 5:08pm

I'm looking at buying a set of the CBN sharpening wheels.
My question is this:
The grits I'm thinking is a 180 and either 400 or 600 grit for the 2nd.
The 180 grit would serve for shaping and general grinding when needed.
I was thinking 600 grit for the 2nd, so I can get a nice, clean, polished edge without grinding away the tool steel, every time I have to sharpen a gouge. Would the 600 grit do this?
I'm new to all of this, so I'm asking because it all has to be shipped to Peru.

The train of thought comes from the fact that a barber uses a sharpening strap that 'polishes' the blades edge, giving it a better cutting edge, but does this translate to sharpening tools?

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Re: CBN Wheels
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 5:47pm

80 and 180 are popular, and what I use.  80 for rough shaping and scrapers, 180 for gouges.  With a light touch, which is what you want regardless of grit, the steel doesn't go away very fast on a 180 wheel.  400/600 is overkill for woodturning...IMHO.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 6:24pm

IMO
The CBN wheels remove steel very efficiently. Unless you are re-shaping grinds often or needing to remove larger amounts of material that 'normal' sharpening, I would go with a 180. I have one and have never wish I had a lower grit wheel.
(I think this is where we separate grinding from sharpening)
The 400 - 600 is also a matter of opinion. I do believe there is a point where trying to get that 'razors edge" is just a pointless exercise. You can dull a gouge in a single revolution in certain circumstances. For myself I go with the 400 for a finer edge.
Much of this depends on what and how you turn, also your sharpening practices.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 2:28am

A 180 grit wheel if you are getting only one. It leaves an excellent scraper burr for heavy roughing and good shear scraping, and an edge on most gouges that will probably work great for 90% of the turning you will ever do. Not sure if stepping up to a 350 (seems to be a bunch in the 320 to 400 range) is much of an improvement or not. 600 leaves a great edge for fine finish cuts in punky woods, and ones that are prone to tear out, but it is a lousy edge for any kind of roughing. An 80 grit wheel will do some minor reshaping, but if you really want to change the shape on a heavy scraper, 36 grit on a belt sander... The 80 leaves an edge that is a bit coarse for fine finish cuts, but it still does well, and as it gets really broken in, it leaves a much smoother and finer edge.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print