So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Lighting
Dec 23rd, 2017 at 11:43am

I want to replace my 4ft. flouresent fixtures with screw in 100 watt led bulbs.  How many bulbs would it take to produce as much light as one 2 tube fixture.  I want natural light.   Tired of the old tube type bulbs  having to warm up,, sometimes not coming on till turn the switch on and off 10 times.  My old fixtures have 2 tubes in each?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Lighting
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 12:33pm

I use Honeywell 4-ft LED Linkable Shop Light, I buy them from Sams Club, they also come in packs of 2 or 10 Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
The output and color is much better than incandescent or fluorescent

Specifications

Easy and fast installation
    Includes: 5 ft. connecting wire, 6 in. connecting wire and end-to-end connector
    4,500 lumen light output
    50,000 hour LED life
    Consumes only 42 watts
    120 x high output natural white LED's
    Sturdy one-piece white aluminum housing
    Quiet operation (no humming)
    Contains no mercury
    5000K (bright white light temperature)
    On/off pull chain switch
    Energy Star 2.0
    Hanging chain and hardware included
    Minus 20 degree starting temperature
    Contains 6’ 3 prong plug for use with standard grounded power outlet
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2017 at 12:34pm by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 4:28pm

I use the same lights that Ed does.  I replaced my shop florescent fixtures with these on a one-to-one basis.  Greatly improved the lighting in the shop.  Don't have to worry about the warmup or flickering that occurred with the old fixtures.  I also use them as my light source in my tent when I do festival shows.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 11:39am

Rick

If your existing fixtures are 4' long, then the bulbs are either T8 or T12.  If it is a newer fixture, it's probably the more efficient T8 design.  But in either case, the light output is 2600-2800 lumens per tube

So to determine how many LEDs you need to generated an equivalent amount of light, divide 5200 by the rated lumen output of the LEDs you are looking at.

In general, for a given level of illumination, LEDs will consume less energy than the fluorescents they replace. 

The other parameter you need to think about is color temperature.  My experience is that lamps that produce cooler color temperatures (daylight or bright white) appear to be brighter even though the lumen rating is the same.

Louie

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 12:42pm

...and just a note.. the higher the temperature, the COOLER the light.

A 7000º temp is cooler/bluer than a 2500º temp which is warmer/redder.

Natural daylight is around 5000º to 6500º.

Also remember that these temps will affect how you see your piece and any colors you might be trying to put on it.

It will also affect how your customer sees the piece as well.  Shooting a piece for either your website or a brochure , etc, you want the color to be correct.

Way too often, I see photos of turners pieces on this site that have been shot with a very warm light... often times the giveaway is the reddish tint to the background fabric  on which it was placed.

..ok, maybe more than "just a note" Shocked Thumbs Up

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Buck Nemitt
WR Addict

Lovin It

Toronto,Ohio, Ohio, USA
Toronto,Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 5:39pm

Another note- each T equals 1/8” so T-8 is 1” diameter while T-12 is 1 1/2” diameter.

What the heck,Give it a try---

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:06pm

It's been my experience that it's not cost effective to replace fluorescent bulbs with LED bulbs.
For the price, you are usually better off getting the entire LED fixture, like the ones I linked to above.
Although it is getting easier, it is difficult to find LED tube bulbs that have comparable specs as a complete unit. Also "some" bulb/fixture combination do not work properly due to ballast interference.
Ralph Fahringer wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 12:42pm:
Also remember that these temps will affect how you see your piece and any colors you might be trying to put on it.

It will also affect how your customer sees the piece as well.  Shooting a piece for either your website or a brochure , etc, you want the color to be correct.

Way too often, I see photos of turners pieces on this site that have been shot with a very warm light

That's something that needs to be repeated every so often.
A good quality lighting environment directly effects how you see and ultimately represent your work, it's worth the investment IMO.

IP Logged

James Saxinger

WR Rocks!

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
Canada

NOVA 2024
GI 25-200
Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 4:53pm

OR you could rebuild your existing fixtures with electronic ballasts and install LED T-8, 17 watt (daylight color 5000k) style lamps. Output equivalent would be in the 75 to 100 watt range. Instant on, no hum. Nice bright white light. I did the same in my shop, changing from T-8 fluorescent to t-8 style LED....huge improvement.

Just another option....
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2018 at 4:54pm by James Saxinger »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rick Caron

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 12:22pm

Walmart had  4'  fixtures        5,000k    4,500 lumens   for   $38      I think  company name  is      lights of america    red  and white box.    Comes 5' cord,  on/off switch  Eye hooks   and chain.       Didn't  realize my  old  t12  tubes  were  6,500k.        Too white/blue      5,000k   much better.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print